PDA

View Full Version : Okay Time To Get Serious About This

BarryBobPosthole
01-28-2014, 10:18 AM
I have to do something about my HVAC in my house. Oh, its effective, its just wasteful. Its the one thing neither of us paid much attention to when we were working with the builder to design the house. We just let the HVAC contractor design the three zones and we got what we got. In winter, the upstairs is 1000 degrees and the downstairs is comfortable. In summer, to keep the upstairs liveable you have to keep the downstairs thermostats lower than you normally would. We keep our thermostats set on 74 in summer typically and 71 in winter, so we're not dogging it. The thing I can't figure out is the zoning of the damn thing. It makes no sense to me the way it's zoned.

So how does one go about redesigning the HVAC? And what do you look for in a design that makes sure you care for that stuff? I'd hate to redo the whole damned thing only to have little or no improvement. I've partially fixed the upstairs heat problem by installing a huge ceiling fan in the upstairs 'game room', which is actually a big upstairs open living room. That keeps a lot of that hot air circulating. But its a constant seasonal battle of opening and closing registers and making certain to keep bedroom doors opened or shut and so on. I'm sick of it.

BKB

Buckrub
01-28-2014, 10:42 AM
BUBBA??????????? Front and center.

Thumper
01-28-2014, 10:49 AM
Other than the disaster of upstairs plumbing leaks ... this is another thing to contend with when it comes to a 2-story house. I will NEVER own another one! I don't have an answer as I have to play the "register game" myownfineself. (I have a single unit)

What's really fun, our thermostat is located in the frigging KITCHEN! If I'm upstairs and Lynn's cooking/baking, the kitchen gets hot (so the thermostat keeps the a/c running) ... while we have frost forming on the upstairs walls & ceilings.

Big Muddy
01-28-2014, 11:28 AM
Phole, you need an HVAC engineer, not a HVAC installer....most of the larger residential/commercial HVAC contractors down here have an engineer on staff.

When we put the new system in our lakehouse, last year, I told them I wanted their engineer to design the system because I was not familiar enough with the house to tell them what I wanted....there was no charge for that service, IF I purchased their system, which I did.

We are tickled pink with it. ;)