PDA

View Full Version : This Farm Bill

BarryBobPosthole
01-30-2014, 04:21 PM
Looks pretty good to me. I don't think it goes near far enough but its a good step in the right direction. Cuts food stamp funding by almost a billion a year (still only 1 damn percent), shifts some subsidies over to crop insurance programs instead of outright payments.

We gotta stop waiting for perfection and move this damn thing in a forward direction. Glad to see Congress get off its ass and do something that'll cost less money instead of more.

BKB

Big Muddy
01-30-2014, 05:37 PM
Now, if the day'um gov't will just permanently remove themselves from regulating anydayumthing farm-related, I'll be even more delighted....I want to be like any other businessman, and put a price tag on my product, and make a reasonable profit....it you don't like my price, then carry yo azz on down the street to another store....that's just good ole capitalistic competition.

As it is now, I have no choice but to carry my products to a grain elevator, and ASK them, IF they wanna buy it....if they're in a good mood, they SET the price they will give me based on the CBOT index(govt regulated)....I have no say-so in the price matter....sure, I can refuse their price, and they will store my products for me....all the while, they are charging me storage fees, and the bank is charging interest on my operating loan, while I am waiting for a dayum govt. crop report of some type to hit the airwaves, which usually causes commodity prices to go in the tank.

And, while they're at it, remove the food stamp program from under the thumb of the USDA....it has nothing to do with agriculture....it has gotten to be such a HUGE program, just give the program an entirely new name and a separate department.

airbud7
01-30-2014, 05:50 PM
Now, if the day'um gov't will just permanently remove themselves from regulating anydayumthing..................................... .................................................. ..............

This^

BarryBobPosthole
01-30-2014, 05:55 PM
Eddie, I'd be for that. But I'm also for ending the farm subsidies that go to corporations that are farms in name only. I'm all for them making as much money as they can, but I ain't for giving them anything they don't earn via selling their products. Like most real farmers.

BKB

Big Muddy
01-30-2014, 06:09 PM
I'm all for that, too, Phole....but, I ain't a corporation....I'm just a family farmer, with one farm serial number---not dozens like the corporations.

Since you mentioned it....crop ins. penalizes any family farmer who only has one farm serial number....we pay nearly 50% more for a crop premium because we only have one farm serial number....if you have two or more farm serial numbers, then, you get nearly a 50% premium discount per crop....it's called the "enterprise unit"(EU) system....google it, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

To me, a family farmer, operating only one farm serial number, IS the purest form of an "enterprise"....govt. crop ins. program sure doesn't see it that way.

If the govt. isn't trying to ruin the family farmer, then, go figure THAT sheeit out for me!!!!!

BarryBobPosthole
01-30-2014, 06:22 PM
Man, we sure enough agree on that. My personal belief is that the big corporate farms are going to fail us some day and it'll be the regional guys we can buy farm produce from that we will end up depending on. Right now, all we're doing is funding research for GMO crops that the big corps can make even more money on.

BKB

Big Muddy
01-30-2014, 06:49 PM
Also, next time you got a few minutes, google the subsidies for the ethanol plants....those things have popped up all over MS.
Thats the biggest joke of the century, and they're making massive amounts of subsidy money off those plants....NOT from from being a profitable business because it costs them more to produce a gallon of ethanol than they can sell it for.

BarryBobPosthole
01-30-2014, 07:13 PM
Another switchgrass scheme that didn't pan out, IMO. But corn prices are locked into that demand and no industry lobbyist in his right mind is gonna let that shit happen. So its on the down low. Two wrongs don't make a right but ethanol isn't the only thing that has its prices artificially manipulated to maintain price stability.
I wish we could get all business off of corporae welfare. It'd leave more money for taxpayers to spend on products and they'd get it back in revenue. That's the theory anyway.

BKB

Sunshine
01-30-2014, 08:48 PM
:)