PDA

View Full Version : Who on here was talking about good kitchen knives a while back?

Arty
02-02-2014, 09:44 AM
And what did (whoever it was) end up buying?

I did a search on the forum and couldn't find the post.

I'm looking at a set of JA Henckels, they seem to be pretty decent.

BOY! you can spend thousands on a set of knives. Wow.

BarryBobPosthole
02-02-2014, 11:16 AM
Was me. And I have't pulled the trigger yet. I'm need some new fishing gear so this has taken a back seat.
BKB

LJ3
02-03-2014, 10:48 AM
Speaking of the list... did you ever pull the trigger on the Loomis bronzeback?

BarryBobPosthole
02-03-2014, 10:53 AM
No, I got sidetracked looking at that Shimano line counter reel. Its winter! I don't have to make a decision until March!
BKB

LJ3
02-03-2014, 11:06 AM
It's as nice as they get, from my experience. My rod building goal is to build one that nice. We'll see. I'm thinking maybe by my 3rd or 4th rod I should be able to do it.

BarryBobPosthole
02-03-2014, 11:14 AM
So are you building the whole shebang, handle, grip, reel foot, and all? Or just guides? What blank did you land on?

I need a 12 ft trolling rod and I am wondering if that would be a viable option (building one)?

BKB

LJ3
02-03-2014, 11:35 AM
My first one is a St. Croix kit. It come with handles, reel seat, guides, etc. I had to buy all the tools, threads, finishes and wrapping jigs for it.

Next up will be the better quality components. A Loomis blank (from his new company) http://www.northforkcomposites.com/products and higher quality handles/grips, reel seats and guides.

BarryBobPosthole
02-03-2014, 11:41 AM
How much cheaper is the kit vs the same retail rod you're building? I mean, not counting the investment in tools and such.

Is this something you're going to save money on and be able to upgrade to better rods or is it just the fact that you're building it?

BKB

LJ3
02-03-2014, 12:06 PM
I would guess at about 40% savings. Much more if you buy in bulk, obviously. It all seems geared toward custom rod builders and hobbyists just kind of latch on for the ride. Gene prolly knows better than me.

BarryBobPosthole
02-03-2014, 12:09 PM
It'll be cool when you catch that first big smallie on a rod you built yourself. Kind of like going down a perilous set of rapids backwards in a canoe you rebuilt I'd imagine.
BKB

Chicken Dinner
02-03-2014, 12:20 PM
Prolly just line it!

LJ3
02-03-2014, 12:22 PM
Hehehehe.... coffee on my dang keyboard!

Captain
02-03-2014, 02:57 PM
It'll be cool when you catch that first big smallie on a rod you built yourself. Kind of like going down a perilous set of rapids backwards in a canoe you rebuilt I'd imagine. BKB

Bite me. Anyone can go down forward.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Arty
02-03-2014, 09:26 PM
POST #3 through POST #13 BELONG IN THE FISHING FORUM!!!

This was a post about KITCHEN KNIVES!

Geeeeeezzzz..... :moon

Thumper
02-03-2014, 10:10 PM
POST #3 through POST #13 BELONG IN THE FISHING FORUM!!! Geeeeeezzzz.....

We have a Fishing Forum??? :confused:

LJ3
02-03-2014, 10:19 PM
Sorry Arty!

Back to knife talk!

BarryBobPosthole
02-03-2014, 10:49 PM
One thing I will tell you about my comical assortment of kitchen knives. I've started hitting them a few licks with a sharpening steel every time I use them and its made a huge difference in how much I like to use them. I have some Cutcos, a could of DU knives that came in a set, a couple Chicago Cutlery, and it just takes a few strokes every time you pick one up and before you know it they're all razor sharp and you ain't wanting to replace them so dang bad. At least for me. allows me to buy more fishing tackle!

Len, you're up!

BKB

Buckrub
02-03-2014, 10:53 PM
Good for you. If I touch a knife with anything other than my Work Sharp, it's dull. Bam. Instantly.

If I sharpen it with my Work Sharp, it's sharp, and it doesn't matter how cheap or poor or great or wonderful it is. They're all sharp. Some stay sharp longer than others, and those are the quality ones. But it's a snap to sharpen all of them.

Anything less makes your tomato really unhappy.

BarryBobPosthole
02-03-2014, 10:55 PM
I agree. Ain't nothing like slicing a big juicy homegrown with a sharp knife. Just makes it taste better.

BKB

Thumper
02-04-2014, 07:41 AM
Sorry Arty! Back to knife talk!

Ha! For some odd reason, I fully expected youse dufes to start talking about frigging FILET knives after that post. In which forum would that belong? :D

LJ3
02-04-2014, 09:39 AM
I do the same as BBP with my knives, always have. Hit 'em with a steel beofre I use them. EXCEPT the henkels knife I got. I have yet to need to sharpen it and it's been a good while. I think I got it two Christmases ago.

Anyone know a good source for high end fishing rod handles like loomis, falcon or fenwick uses?

BarryBobPosthole
02-04-2014, 11:01 AM
I dunno, but I hope you don't go for the split handles. Those things just don't appeal to me. Good old cork. From Portugal. Gotta be from Portugal.
BKB

LJ3
02-04-2014, 11:28 AM
Split handles suck ass.

BarryBobPosthole
02-04-2014, 11:38 AM
Keith and I were at an outdoor show a few years back, more than I care to remember now, and I found a deal on a rod and reel combo from a guy who builds rods here in NE Oklahoma. The name of the company is GBLANKS rods. They're still in business and appear to be doing pretty well for a small time operation. anyway, that deal was my first and only split handle. Just don't feel right. Its a great rod though. wish I hadn't broke the tip off of it.

BKB

LJ3
02-04-2014, 11:49 AM
Bring it next time you come out this way. Rod tip repair is something I'm pretty expert with these days.

BarryBobPosthole
02-04-2014, 11:51 AM
Yeah, I think I have two 'virgin' rods that I use regularly that have the original last six inches of rod on them. Breaks my heart to break a rod but if you use them a lot it's gonna happen.

The last one was worth the price. Keith and my son Chris and I were fishing in my jon boat when Keith decided to cast into a tree. I told him that was a bit shallow for this time of year but he didn't see the humor in it. We pulled up under the tree and Chris stood up to try to retrieve it. Keith told him not to worry he could get it, but chris was gonna save that lure. He ended up kicking the front of the boat out from under him, helicoptering his arms in mid air (it didn't work he still can't fly), and landing with a good splash beside the boat. In the process of climbing, make that JUMPING back in the boat (it was very snaky where we were) he managed to break the tip off of one of my matching set of Falcon Lowriders. So instead of 6"7", its now a six foot rod. Like I said, it was kinda worth it at the time seeing that.
BKB

LJ3
02-04-2014, 12:40 PM
I'd pay to see that :)

BarryBobPosthole
02-04-2014, 12:44 PM
And while all of that was happening, my kitchen knives were all back home in their drawer, all sharp as could be.

the end.

BKB