PDA

View Full Version : Pretty Good Winter

BarryBobPosthole
02-05-2014, 11:36 PM
Its been hard to find open water to fish this winter, but I'm happy to see these cold temps. We're duecto get down to around 3 or 4 tomorrow. hope it kills a bunch of ticks and stuff!

BKB

FooBang
02-06-2014, 08:57 AM
Its been hard to find open water to fish this winter, but I'm happy to see these cold temps. We're duecto get down to around 3 or 4 tomorrow. hope it kills a bunch of ticks and stuff!

BKB

I went out Saturday for a brief hunt and Lo! I saw a tick crawling over the snow. I thought they were s'posed to die under 40 degrees? (Although, it reached 47 Saturday..)

--Foo

Chicken Dinner
02-06-2014, 09:23 AM
I saw a thing here at work that this winter is expected to cut back the Emerald Ash Borer infestation that's been such a problem. The cold isn't all bad.

HideHunter
02-06-2014, 10:05 AM
0 isn't unusual here but we have had an extended stretch of it (couple weeks) and the 7 day looks like it will continue to struggle to get out of the single digits. Cold doesn't bother me in the least if the freaking wind wouldn't blow - which it does. Oh - LP update. Down to 3.50 range .. most will let you buy as much as you want if you can afford it. ;)

O CD - the ash borer is just showing up here in a couple counties. Hope something knocks them back. I have a bunch of ash.

BarryBobPosthole
02-06-2014, 10:12 AM
I've had borer issues on one of my purple ash trees. Wonder if that's the emerald ash borer? We treated them with a systemic and it seems to have gotten rid of them. That tree has taken a while to recover though. I also have a few borers in some pines too. Could that be the same bug?
How do you tell peckerwood holes from borer holes?
BKB

Big Muddy
02-06-2014, 10:38 AM
Do ya'll actually plant ash trees???....they are a nemesis in our hardwood timber, down here....if ya'll will send me some of those borers, I'll send ya'll all the ash saplings you want. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
02-06-2014, 10:44 AM
I planted mine for shade and foliage. They're pretty well behaved trees. My only complaint is they send some shallow ass roots right under the surface of the ground.

BKB

jb
02-06-2014, 11:09 AM
Still cold up here too, first time since 06 that the bay froze over, that's always the tell tail sign of a cold winter.
The emerald ash bore has done major damage up here, dead trees all over. Great firewood, has become popular for kitchen cabinets and trim, and it's the favorite wood for bows (as in bow and arrow)
We head out in 12 days to get away from this shit for a few weeks.

Penguin
02-06-2014, 11:09 AM
Shoot man, ash is a great firewood. About the best there is. Take all you can get!

Has been a cold winter here as well. Much colder than the past couple. My "double mac cruiser day" index has more than doubled. :-)

Will

HideHunter
02-06-2014, 11:45 AM
My ash are "wild". Grow among the hackberries and the cottonwoods.

BarryBobPosthole
02-06-2014, 11:49 AM
Wild ashes. Reminds me of a childhood memory. There was a very old silted in pond on our farm that my uncle (he is only a couple of years older than I ) and I used to catch crawdads in. Growing along the bank was a stand of persimmon sprouts that were about three or four inches thick. You could jump from the pond bank onto one of them and bend it over almost to the ground and ride it like a horse. We called them 'wild asses'.

BKB

Buckrub
02-06-2014, 02:05 PM
Optimists suck.

Snowing here.