PDA

View Full Version : Quershun

BarryBobPosthole
02-08-2014, 04:57 PM
I need a piece of aluminum pipe about six feet long and of a diameter that i can attach it to, actually slip over or into a boat seat pedestal. A chaneeled soild piece of aluminum would actually work better. My question is, what kind of place sells this sort of thing? What do I een google for?

BKB

LJ3
02-08-2014, 05:02 PM
You're welcome

http://bit.ly/1iI22No

Thumper
02-08-2014, 05:03 PM
I'm not sure persactly what you're looking for, but it sounds like you want some "aluminum round tube stock". Maybe Google sumpin' like "aluminum round tube stock Tulsa" or wherever.

LJ3
02-08-2014, 05:04 PM
Jimmy

http://bit.ly/1iI2Ph9

Thumper
02-08-2014, 05:07 PM
I ain't that fancy-schmancy .. but that's cool! ;)

Niner
02-08-2014, 05:21 PM
You looking to get a head start on this year's Festivus preparations???

LJ3
02-08-2014, 05:23 PM
It's call lmgtfy.com

Stands for "let me google that for you" for people like BBP and Bucky that would rather type their words in a message board than a google search window :)

LJ3
02-08-2014, 05:25 PM
AND... added bonus. It can be fun :)

http://bit.ly/1iI7tvB

Big Muddy
02-08-2014, 06:10 PM
I know what you are attempting to do with your boat seat, Phole....I've done that, too, and used electrical conduit pipe on mine....I found it at an electrical supply company....they had all kinds of pipe....aluminum, galvanized, black steel, etc., etc.

Your local Lowe's store may even carry it....my Lowe's did not.

LJ3
02-08-2014, 06:17 PM
Or you could just build a custom fit boat cover for that fancy ass boat of your'n.

Buckrub
02-08-2014, 08:52 PM
PVC pipe

Big Muddy
02-08-2014, 09:07 PM
PVC pipe

Won't work, Buckle....not enough backbone strength.

Buckrub
02-08-2014, 09:09 PM
To hold up a boat cover? Sure it will. They make strong PVC pipe!

Big Muddy
02-08-2014, 09:15 PM
Maybe I'm getting senile, but I see nothing in Phole's post about a boat cover.

I assumed he was beefing up his boat seat pedestals, like I had done.

If he's just wanting to support a boat cover, sure, schedule 40 PVC is fine....heck, a broom stick will handle that.

Surely, ole Phole has already thought about using PVC, if in fact, he's just supporting a boat cover.

LJ3
02-08-2014, 10:04 PM
I say we continue speculating wildly!

http://bit.ly/1iBii39

BarryBobPosthole
02-08-2014, 11:23 PM
Nope, want to see into making a planer mast. Looks like this. Cost is about $300 and I honestly can't see half that in materials in it. I want to somehow fasten a boat pedestal into it so I can put it where my front bicycle seat is on my boat.

And thanks, Len! and Thumper!
BKB

Big Muddy
02-08-2014, 11:53 PM
Sorry, when you mentioned boat seat pedestals, I thought you had something else in mind....that fishing setup is over my pay grade. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
02-09-2014, 12:17 AM
I think you'd likeit if you ever got a chance troll with this setup for big fish. When they hit it seems like they're gonna rip the rod holders out by the roots. That's why you either need a long rod or a shock leader or they'll break your rod.

But they are way too proud of them. That's why I'm looking to make at least this part. I think a pieve of extruded aluminum would he best.

BKB

Niner
02-09-2014, 10:12 AM
How tall does it need to be?
Maybe you could get a couple of those "seat poles" welded together???
:huh:huh:huh

BarryBobPosthole
02-09-2014, 10:22 AM
Its six foot long, Niner and that's a good idea. I may see what they have at the boat salvage place. A douple of ose bike seat posts might do it.
BKB

Captain
02-09-2014, 11:15 AM
I have NO clue what that thing is but if it were me I'd do like Niner suggested and use two 3 foot seat poles. Not sure I would weld them together however. It would be handy to be able to take that thing apart for storage. In fact it looks like the one in the picture is in two pieces.
How does that work? IS that your "fishing" rod? Or do you still use a traditional fishing rod and somehow attach the line to that contraption?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

BarryBobPosthole
02-09-2014, 11:52 AM
Here's how the setup works. You have a planer board that you run off of each side of the boat that is clipped to the line on each of those reels. You can vary how far the boards run from the boat by varying the length of the line. The planer boards are basically two vertical skis, if you will, that you are compartmentalized so you can add water to them front or back to make them run truer depending on the water conditions. Sometimes you want them to dig, sometimes not, depending on the chop. We clip two lines off of each planer. The clip fastens to the planer board line with a shower curtain type ring and then to your fishing line with a clip that holds the line in with friction. So you drop whatever lure in the water while you're at trolling speed, let enough line out to get it back behind the boat the distance you want, clip it to the planer board line and then let it run out by the board. When all lines are out they are neatly spaced at a distance behind the boat so you can make tight turns when you need to without fouling the lines you're trolling. It also gives you a better spread so you're covering more water. I'll if I have any pics that show them in action.

BKB

HideHunter
02-09-2014, 11:54 AM
What the hell are you fishing for that hits that hard - blues?

Thumper
02-09-2014, 11:56 AM
I'm not really up on the gizmo you're trying to build ... but I have had experience in metals from the old custom car building days. We had to fabricate most of our parts. It sounds (to me) like you need quite a bit of strength, especially if it's going to be 6' tall and only anchored at the bottom. I initially thought you wanted something the diameter of a seat pedestal to use a normal pedestal base ... but the picture you posted looks like it's small diameter stock. You'll either need some relatively thick-walled tubing or even solid round stock. During your Googling, also Google something like "cold finish aluminum round (or round rod)". That's basically a solid (round) bar of aluminum.

If it doesn't have to be round, try something like aluminum bar (square or rectangular) stock. If it doesn't have to be solid and you're looking for what Co9 suggested, try Googling aluminum round "tubing or pipe".

It all boils down to knowing the correct term for what you're looking for, then just figure what size you need. Here's a half-assed chart ... not the best descriptions, but it might help.

http://precision-metals.com/images/658_Basic-Structural-Steel-Shapes.jpg

BarryBobPosthole
02-09-2014, 12:12 PM
Okay here's a couple of pictures to give you an idea of how this runs.

Here's what the right side planer looks like Running. You can see the clip with the line on it about the middle. I think I was actually taking a picture of loons landing. When the loons pile in like that it means the ciscoes are there and they're coming for supper. So are the big walleyes. A loonar landing so to speak.

Buckrub
02-09-2014, 12:14 PM
I always thought trolling was for ocean fish...........or cheating. One or the other.

BarryBobPosthole
02-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Sometimes you have to detect big walleyes by smelling them. Kind of like a hereford bull.....
Its a good shot of the planer mast though.

BarryBobPosthole
02-09-2014, 12:16 PM
And then once you've smelt, you catch 'em.

Buckrub
02-09-2014, 12:30 PM
Oh my, by all that's holy.

SON! Please!!!

mercy.

Captain
02-09-2014, 12:34 PM
OK got it somewhat. So I ASSUME once the fish strikes somehow the line releases from the attachment and you fight the fish with normal rod/reel? Am I right? If so then there is not much pull on the tower.... I would think that two of those tall seat stands would be plenty stout to handle the trolling pressure even at 6 foot...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

LJ3
02-09-2014, 12:35 PM
Can we please make an effort to close our mouths after we're done smelling and before we start catching :)

I didn't know much about trolling setups until EHead and Cap'n JJ got the big boat for the Bay. There's quite a bit to it. I had always thought of it as lazy fishing since you just put crap in the water and sit down till you get to reel in a fish.

But you're making just as many, if not more, important decisions about bait presentation than with regular fishing.

BarryBobPosthole
02-09-2014, 02:23 PM
And don't forget the 12 oz arm curls.

Actually everyone in the boat is part of a team and goes right into action. The Captain stops the boat and burps it into and out of gear to keep the planers out away from the boat and everyone's line straight. The net man gets ready for the assist (we keep score on assists), and if there's a fourth person, they're in charge of the camera and getting a pic. Its when you double that it gets exciting, especially with three people. We tripled last year for the first time in
Dogtooth history. That was like a monkey fucking a football. And ifthe Captin is one of the ones with a fish on, e eryone switches.
Its a beautiful piscatorial dance.

And Len, that was me saying (for the 100th time) "oh shit, this is the one". It never is.
BKB