PDA

View Full Version : Ohhhh, my goodness.....crappie heaven open, again!!!

Big Muddy
02-08-2014, 06:34 PM
Just found out, today, that one of our state lakes, Lake Charlie Capps, about 45 minutes from me, is opening again this month, after being under renovation for about 4 years.

I loved that little lake, and it broke my heart, when they closed it for renovation....the first two years, during it's initial opening, the hybrid crappie fishing was unbelievable....it was stocked with hybrid crappie, and had a daily limit of only 10 fish.

I remember one trip there, back in 2004, when I returned to the boat ramp, and the local biologist/warden wanted to see and weigh my catch....I had 10 crappie that weighed a total of 31 pounds....the largest one weighed 3 lbs. 13 ozs....(Bucky, he was using his scales, not mine ;))....that fish is hanging right above the fireplace at the lake house.

Through the years, the little lake silted-in really bad, therefore, renovation was required.

One of the new regulations is that only non-motorized boats are allowed....that's right up my alley, and will cut out those day'um bass boats, whizzing by at 90 mph!!!....time to break out the little pirogue!!! ;)

Niner
02-08-2014, 08:21 PM
Does "nonmotorized" mean trolling motors too?

Big Muddy
02-08-2014, 09:12 PM
Nope, Niner....it means only combustion engines.

Captain
02-08-2014, 10:00 PM
Does "nonmotorized" mean trolling motors too?
I was gonna ax that same question.
I LIKE lakes where gas engine are not allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Buckrub
02-08-2014, 10:14 PM
When can I show up?

Can you put a boat in WITH a big motor, but not use it???

Big Muddy
02-08-2014, 11:09 PM
When can I show up?

Can you put a boat in WITH a big motor, but not use it???

I want to find out about that, myself....before the renovation, they did allow us to use our boats, with motors still on the boat, as long as we didn't crank them up.

Not sure, now, so I'll have to ask the local DOW guy.

Big Skyz
02-09-2014, 12:29 AM
I like lakes and ponds that don't allow gas engines too. Fishing is almost always better and the lack of noise, waves, and general obnoxiousness is really appreciated. Hope that lake produces some big crappies for you again Big Muddy. Be sure to take photos and post them here...on account nobody knows we have a fishing forum.