PDA

View Full Version : So Georgia is about to get it again

BarryBobPosthole
02-11-2014, 04:55 PM
Niner, you got everything in hand that you need there buddy? Maybe a little sasparilla for when it gets real cold too?

Be safe since Captain stole the stopper off your walking stick.

BKB

Niner
02-11-2014, 05:15 PM
Yeah, they are alleging bad weather is on the horizon. Listening to the local radio, you'd think its gonna be icemageddon or some such. And it may well be for Atlanta and northward.

"They" are saying the ice line will probably be I-20. We are quite a way south of there, so I am hoping all we get is some chilly rainy weather. BUT just in case I got me a helper over here yesterday to help me split up a mess of firewood. Got a new wood stove put in last weekend to replace the worn out one. Got some stew in the crockpot, and a supply of "anti freeze" laid in. I'm figgering if I'm prepared for it we'll get missed for sure.

BarryBobPosthole
02-11-2014, 05:20 PM
Murphy's Law is usually the rule of the day with those deals.

BKB

Captain
02-11-2014, 05:51 PM
Do, do, do, looking out my back door...
Been snowing steady since yesterday afternoon. Suppose to keep falling till sometime Thursday.
I hate this crap!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Buckrub
02-11-2014, 05:55 PM
Daughter and son in law came this past weekend for "Christmas". They were going to leave Monday but left Sunday to miss the "BIG ONE" that was predicted here.

NOT ONE flake hit! Nada.

They get home Monday night, well after midnight.......and now are in the midst of it THERE.

Some folks can't win. Me too Cappy. I'm sick of this cold. I didn't sign up to live in Michigan. If I wanted to, I could. But I didn't. Danged Global Warming.

Niner
02-11-2014, 06:00 PM
Well....just got an "ice storm warning" on my phone. Turned on the local news and they are predicting about 1.5" of ICE for my area.

Maybe the weather guessers aren't kidding this time.

Trav
02-11-2014, 06:01 PM
I may get stuck here in Atlanta, at least I am at a good hotel and on the company Dime.

jb
02-11-2014, 06:05 PM
Damn Cappy, that's about the most perfectly snow there is for deer hunting, just came a little late that's all.
Sure hope you get rid of all that crap, we leave a week from tomorrow and I don't want to drive through that stuff. I want to see flowers, dogwood and redbud, I want to hear birds sing, I want to wake up in the AM and put on shorts and a t-shirt, I want to drive with the windows down, I want to sleep with the windows open, I want to walk on the beach and put my feet into water, I want to eat outside with soft ocean breezes blowing, I want to see ladies showing some skin, I want, I want, I want.
See what you can do.

Captain
02-11-2014, 06:40 PM
Damn Cappy, that's about the most perfectly snow there is for deer hunting, just came a little late that's all. Sure hope you get rid of all that crap, we leave a week from tomorrow and I don't want to drive through that stuff. I want to see flowers, dogwood and redbud, I want to hear birds sing, I want to wake up in the AM and put on shorts and a t-shirt, I want to drive with the windows down, I want to sleep with the windows open, I want to walk on the beach and put my feet into water, I want to eat outside with soft ocean breezes blowing, I want to see ladies showing some skin, I want, I want, I want. See what you can do.

If it's up to me you will be able to do all that and more. I'm tired of this cold, wet, white stuff!

Buckrub
02-11-2014, 06:42 PM
I am askeered that Bubba and Bride are gonna be in for a rude awakenin'..............

Buckrub
02-11-2014, 11:41 PM
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/deep-freeze/atlanta-ready-catastrophic-ice-storm-zeroes-n27186

Niner
02-12-2014, 07:48 AM
Well.....so far, so good.
Got up this morning, put another log on the fire, flipped on the back porch light and looked outside. Just seeing rain, and no ice FOR NOW.

My thermometer says 29°, and the Weather Channel is saying it is 32°......so I'll hold onto my hat and see how the day goes.

From looking at TWC map, it LOOKS like we MIGHT dodge the bullet in our part of GA. THANK YOU, JESUS!!!

AND WHEN did we start naming "winter storms". Winter Storm PAX???? WTF, over. I obviously don't watch enough TV. Gonna have to turn in my Couch Potato card, I guess.

Niner
02-12-2014, 08:13 AM
Update.....the earlier report was from about 6am when I checked.
Just now, I put another log on and had another peek. I can see that the deck has "glazed over", and a few ice cycles are starting to form.

Keeping my fingers crossed. Can ya guess what happens to your well water when the power goes out?
Ya ain't got no water!o

Thumper
02-12-2014, 09:12 AM
Well, while youse dufes are out chipping ice ... I think I'll take a nap. :D

http://www.indolink.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/lazy-beach-days-nature.jpg

BarryBobPosthole
02-12-2014, 09:51 AM
I keep hoping it'll miss ya, Niner. People who haven't been through a major ice storm don't understand AT ALL how serious it gets in a big hurry. Its as catastrophic as any tornado and probably more. It just doesn't happen all in a rush like a tornado does.
Hoping it misses you.

BKB

Bwana
02-12-2014, 10:46 AM
I know some of us northern folk give you guys crap when you get a bit of snow, but I wouldn't wish ice storms on anybody as those things can cause MAJOR damage no matter where you live. Best of luck to all who are dealing with this storm.

Buckrub
02-12-2014, 10:53 AM
Looks like Ed is getting it, although there's a band of 'nothing' between Greenville and Memphis, so not sure. Niner is on the edge. My daughter and grandson, and Cappy, are getting it in spades. NOVA contingent not there yet, it appears. It's cold here, but it's all east of me!

LJ3
02-12-2014, 11:15 AM
We're sposed to get about a foot or so of the white stuff here... more for me since I'm a NW burb. I'm over it. I need to fish.

Trav
02-12-2014, 12:42 PM
I can tell you ATL is getting hammered right now, I am at a hotel downtown. So far my flight out tmrw hasn't been canceled but a bunch of folks who are flying north or east have had their flights canceled. My hotel is right next door to the Marta station so hopefully I can just catch the Marta to the airport.

Chicken Dinner
02-12-2014, 01:07 PM
I'll believe we're going to get a foot when I'm doing donuts in it with my ATV out in front of my house...

We're sposed to get about a foot or so of the white stuff here... more for me since I'm a NW burb. I'm over it. I need to fish.

Captain
02-12-2014, 01:20 PM
They could hold the Winter Olympics in my yard right now. This crap is a hell of a storm...

LJ3
02-12-2014, 01:59 PM
I'll believe we're going to get a foot when I'm doing donuts in it with my ATV out in front of my house...

You're a city boy. The heat from all the shit in DC warms the Arlington atmosphere :)

Thumper
02-12-2014, 02:23 PM
It's 81 and sunny here today, but that cold front that is hammering youse dufes is supposed to hit here tomorrow. Gonna have rain ahead of it tonight, then a high in the low 60's tomorrow. That's it ... starting Friday they'll go back up to the 70's by Sunday, then 81 again next Wednesday. You buttheads keep that crap up there where it belongs.

On a serious note, I hope those ice storms don't get too nasty. I drove through a bunch of that stuff in my trucking days ... what a mess!

Buckrub
02-12-2014, 03:15 PM
Trav, you better order room service. For a week.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/deep-freeze/bone-chilling-winter-blast-wipes-out-power-south-n28156

Niner, how are you escaping this???????

Niner
02-12-2014, 03:29 PM
We've got a bit of ice on the trees and such, but so far nothing like they are showing on the news that Atlanta and Augusta are getting.

The "second wave" as they are calling it is hitting us now. It's a "wintry mix" of rain/sleet/snow. My deck has turned white, and my skylights are almost covered up in the last hour.

I still think (hope) we are on the fringe of it.

Chicken Dinner
02-13-2014, 07:58 AM
I'll believe we're going to get a foot when I'm doing donuts in it with my ATV out in front of my house... I stand corrected. We've got about a foot out there now with another 3" or so expected before it's all over. Gonna get the wheelie out once the boys are up and about. Looks like it's gonna be an unscheduled 5 day weekend in these parts.

Niner
02-13-2014, 08:20 AM
It snowed (I guess) all night here. Most of the evening last night it was just teeeenie flakes, but before we went to bed they were a good bit bigger.....and still snowing this morning. So far I have about , I guess, 3/4 to 1 inch of "stuff" out on my deck.

Still nowhere near what they are showing on the TV for Atlanta.

Captain
02-13-2014, 12:14 PM
Still freaking pouring snow here. I HATE it even more than I did yesterday.....

LJ3
02-13-2014, 12:33 PM
We got about 20" here overnight. Calling for another round of 2-4" or so... I be working remotely today. My company doesn't close for ANYTHING.... which is bullshit.

Chicken Dinner
02-13-2014, 12:51 PM
Be careful out there, Larke. Days like today make me thankful I drive a desk.

BaseballCoach (Rev A)
02-13-2014, 01:26 PM
12 inches here I SW Virginia and we are all working today. All of our other East Coast offices are closed but my boss is a woman who feels the need to prove that she is more man than the other managers. Been there 13+ years and we have never closed.

Captain
02-13-2014, 01:38 PM
Be careful out there, Larke. Days like today make me thankful I drive a desk.

Big Jim and I are going to try to get there. We are leaving about 1:30 and taking his dully 4X4 and just creep along.
Just hope I can get hay and water running and back before dark...

Bwana
02-13-2014, 01:49 PM
You could get back before dark if you got up at a decent time in the morning and got to work instead of chasing mamma around the table. Come to think of it, I like your plan better. ;)

jb
02-13-2014, 01:54 PM
Captain, you need to save that picture for next years Christmas Card, beautiful.

HideHunter
02-13-2014, 01:59 PM
LP update: Just put 350 gallon in @ $2.75.. $992 w/ tax.. .. ouch... But buddy put 200 in Monday for $3.25. -18 dby. We're finally getting some moderation. Supposed to be in the 40s by Tuesday. Snow will go pretty fast but it will take awhile to get the frost out of the ground. Like Bwana said - hope you miss the ice. It will wreck stuff.

Thumper
02-13-2014, 03:43 PM
Nice guy Cappy! You say you were gonna leave at 1:30 and Cheryl just reported (at 2:26) that the power went out at the house. I hope you left her plenty of firewood!

Buckrub
02-13-2014, 04:02 PM
Ha. My daughter said they have power........but she has no TV because of snow buildup on her dish.........and it's 2 stories up, plus the steep roof, and she ain't about to deal with it.

Captain
02-13-2014, 06:29 PM
No power at home, no power at the farm. That equals to no water to cattle. Got hay out. Took fences down so cows can get to ponds. Trees down all over the farm. Chainsawed some of them... Will have to go back tomorrow to out out more hay and cut more trees/limbs.
Trying to get back home to the little woman now. And hook generator to house.
If I live and breath another month my home will have a Gen set that with an auto transfer switch that will run the whole house, well, heat and all.
Got it set up now but I have to manually set up the generator and switch the breakers.

Thumper
02-13-2014, 06:37 PM
Trying to get back home to the little woman now.

Thank for the warning. I'll leave now!! I sure hope there's enough fresh snow to cover my tire tracks. ;)

Trav
02-13-2014, 09:18 PM
I am home, whoohooo

Captain
02-13-2014, 10:18 PM
I am home, whoohooo

Good deal. Glad you got out. No place like home is there.
Power back at the NC house but still out at the SC house.
Hopefully by morning. I'll be headed back tomorrow to start sawing out.