PDA

View Full Version : Troy

BarryBobPosthole
02-12-2014, 02:31 PM
You ever hear of Karen Boylan? I think she may live in Montana somewheres. Been enjoying her artwork for a bit after someone I know pointed it out to me. Was just wondering if you were familiar.

BKB

Big Skyz
02-12-2014, 03:26 PM
I've met her a time or two and visited with her at a show or two. She wouldn't know me from Adam though. Her work is very nice and much more impressive in person than via the internet. She seems to be a very nice lady.

Buckrub
02-12-2014, 04:05 PM
She wouldn't know you from Adam??

I bet..........nah, never mind. Some fruit hangs WAY too low. :hello

Niner
02-14-2014, 06:57 AM
I really like that painting. It kind of reminds me of this one by Joe Valazquez, "season of the mountain man".

http://www.joevelazquez.com/html/archives.html

BarryBobPosthole
02-14-2014, 08:49 AM
Niner, western art is my favorite and we're blessed here in Oklahoma to have the Gilcrease museum, one of the best western art collections in the world. Its like Troy said, there's no way to duplicate seeing them in person. another collection is up at a place called Woolaroc where they have a lot of George Caitlin stuff, much of it painted here in Oklahoma when he was here.

This one here is by a fellow by the name of Bierstadt and was done in 1870. One of my all time faves.
BKB

Buckrub
02-14-2014, 11:08 AM
Well, that ain't Oklahoma. I like all those. But what is all that yellow stuff above the lake??? Looks weird, and totally out of place.

Thumper
02-14-2014, 11:10 AM
King of Curmudgeons! ;)

Buckrub
02-14-2014, 11:11 AM
Normally, that's a joke. But that one pissed me off, for some reason. What the heck did I do other than ask a question?

BarryBobPosthole
02-14-2014, 11:26 AM
I think that's in the Sierras. The title of the painting is 'Sierra Nevada Morning'. He did a lot of paintings of the west and I think they even named a dang mountain after him.

anyway, what yellow stuff? In the treeline right above the water? I think that is aspens but not sure. I know they're gold in the fall. Maybe.

BKB

Thumper
02-14-2014, 11:32 AM
Don't eat yellow snow. ;)

I know the name. I first saw a piece of his art at an art museum in New England somewhere and really liked it. I'll be darned if I can even remember where it was persactly (those were my stoner days). ;)

It looked VERY similar to this one but I don't remember the deer.

Thumper
02-14-2014, 11:42 AM
Well dang! I found it. (thanks Al Gore) It's in a museum in Cambridge ...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/66/Albert_Bierstadt_001.jpg/743px-Albert_Bierstadt_001.jpg

Buckrub
02-14-2014, 11:59 AM
No. There is some kind of ....... looks like "wide lightning" that is yellow.........above the water, against the far mountains, and extends down into the water. It almost looks like some kind of scratches on an old painting, like it doesn't belong. MAYBE it's supposed to be the sun peeking through the clouds and hitting something on the ground. If so, it doesn't depict that to me.

I don't know how to take pitchers and draw a ring around what I mean...........like Ed does. Sorry. But it's not curmugeonly to ask a simple danged question. Geez.

I still don't know what that is. But whatever................

BarryBobPosthole
02-14-2014, 12:02 PM
I think that's just the morning light coming through the mist is best I can figure. Its kind of the thing I liked about the picture. Made me think of how long he had to sit there, how many mornings, to get it just like he was seeing it. And there are several iterations of this same view, some with deer and some without. I saw one of them once in the Smithsonian. The one I posted is at the Gilcrease.

BKB

Buckrub
02-14-2014, 12:28 PM
Hmmm. Looks like gold lava flowing down from the hills. Just doesn't belong.

Man, we can't even agree on picture stuff. :fishhooked