PDA

View Full Version : My goodness, Indiana!!!

Buckrub
02-17-2014, 09:50 PM
http://thefreethoughtproject.com/state-passes-law-legalize-self-defense-police/

BarryBobPosthole
02-17-2014, 10:15 PM
And thus, the reason they're called 'Hoosiers'.

Sorry Hotshot.

BKB

LW
02-18-2014, 09:13 AM
That is some kind of shit. If I was a citizen legislator that voted for this, red flags would be waving when I noticed the extremist groups supporting the law.

Buckrub
02-18-2014, 10:39 AM
Well, they're busy:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/indiana-senate-approves-amendment-ban-same-sex-marriage-n32376

BarryBobPosthole
02-18-2014, 10:48 AM
They must figure they've solved all the tough problems in Indiana.

BKB

LJ3
02-18-2014, 10:53 AM
Wow. That's all I got.

I can see citizens wanting to be protected from jackbooted thugs kicking down their door in the middle of the night. Pretty sure the constitution already addressed that, though.

Morons.

I've decided that when I'm dead and gone and they're teaching our "phase" of American history in schools... from 1960 to 2020 or so. I'm going to be a seriously embarrassed ghost. Hopefully the two generations behind me will take care of things but I really don't think that's an option at this point.

Buckrub
02-18-2014, 11:06 AM
Well........I never buy the argument "solving this problem is stupid because there are more pressing issues"..........because that would lead to a requirement to list all problems, prioritize every one of them accurately, and only working on #2 AFTER you totally fix #1. Makes no sense.

But...............

Several things are going to divide this country. Both sides are going to look over the chasm and scratch their heads and say "How on EARTH did those other guys come to that crazy conclusion"???? But that won't stop the divide from happening. I now see more division 'criteria' than I've ever seen.

BarryBobPosthole
02-18-2014, 11:11 AM
Yes, I suppose going all the way to the entire opposite method is the only alternative.

Lead on MacDuff.

BKB

Buckrub
02-18-2014, 11:26 AM
Firing off 180 in either opposite direction is unwise.

Using words like 'only' or 'always' or 'never' is generally unwise.

Flopping around in the middle on EVERY issue is also unwise.

As I've said many times............there is Black, there is White, there is Gray, and wisdom is knowing the difference.

BarryBobPosthole
02-18-2014, 11:36 AM
I imagine Indiana, much like Oklahoma, will do what the legislature thinks will cause its constituents to vote for them in the next election cycle. that's why we're number 3 in teen pregnancies, yet the legislature is at work to make plan B contraception illegal for minors, we're rank 49th in teacher salaries and our teachers haven't had a raise in seven years, yet the legislature is approving money to do $160 million worth of work on our state capitol, and the legislatures current number one priority right now is to allow people to open carry without having to possess a concealed carry permit. why its an agenda only you could love.

BKB

LJ3
02-18-2014, 11:50 AM
I'm the kind of person that always looks to find something in the middle. It's frustrating and not very valuable in most situations. I can't turn it off, though. I resent the term "flopper"!

BarryBobPosthole
02-18-2014, 12:02 PM
And I almost forgot, the other priority is to do away with state employee and teacher pension programs and replace them with 401K plans. Which isn't too bad of an idea. Only thing is, the only people that'd continue to get a pension are state legislators and the governor and her employees.
And of course they are making another pass at passing an abortion law that makes it tougher for women to get abortions, yada yada yada all in direct conflict with the Supreme Court.

Nothing in there of course about taxing the oil companies for what they're taking out of the ground and causing all of these earthquakes all over the state. We charge them 1%. North Dakota charges them 11%. Of course, we get threatened the oil companies will take their business elsewhere if we raise it. The legislature won't touch it. Its the conservative agenda. The one that I think is stupid stupid stupid.

But of course, that's politics.

BKB

Buckrub
02-18-2014, 12:13 PM
My friends hate me. Oh well.

I didn't say flopping in the middle was bad. I said it's bad on EVERY issue. You can't be in the middle on many things. Many things are binary. If you are in the middle on binary issues then you are 'flopping around'. If you are in the middle on opinion issues, then that's not flopping. Usually middle people are not that way permanently. Usually they are that way until they can gather information and facts, and make an opinion.

Posty, on your last post, I agree.

On the one before that, here is my problem with it. I am not saying I have a problem with YOUR agenda. (I do resent the slam on what you perceive is MY agenda, though). My problem with your complaint is that........same as I said above.............it appears that YOUR agenda is being ignored by your Legislature, the one you'd like to see, and have enumerated some items thereof. You want A and B and C to be addressed, and they have not addressed any of them whatsoever. Thus, when they address X and Y and Z, you do not see (in my opinion) any benefit to X or Y or Z, simply because it's not A or B or C!!! You can't discuss their actions on the merits of X or Y or Z. You have to downgrade and belittle them solely because they are not, or not sufficiently, addressing your specific agenda.

See my point?

BarryBobPosthole
02-18-2014, 12:33 PM
I see your point and that is the point. The stuff they are working on isn't all bad. Its what the people in this state want. that's fair. The people in the state also want leadership and that takes more than just working on the same tired shit. Its the fact that its done to the exclusion of everything else that is bothersome to me. I am a Democratic soul living in a very red state. So I have a feeling its gonna bother me for a long time. And my 'agenda' is to do what the state is good at, and that is developing its human resources. MY state produces some of the finest people you'll ever see. They grow up here, they go to college here, and then they move to Texas where they can make a living and raise their families where they become Texicans.

BKB

Buckrub
02-18-2014, 12:39 PM
same here

some go to Oklahoma

LJ3
02-18-2014, 02:29 PM
This is getting weird....

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.

BarryBobPosthole
02-18-2014, 02:38 PM
and this article is from 2002. Still the same trend.
BKB

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/06/us/for-oklahoma-s-teachers-big-d-is-dollars-and-dallas.html

Penguin
02-18-2014, 03:28 PM
Ummmm. Man that's something.

I can sympathize with someone who has their house broken into by a mistake of law enforcement. I really can. But I'm not sure opening fire on the police is the right answer. There may have been a careless mistake made by someone. Fine, sue them. Make that legal if it isn't already. But what kind of sane person wants to open fire on a policeman over a mistake? You'd have to get to the point where the police are some sort of ~enemy~ in your mind I guess. Lord knows we see enough of that on the net.

But I have to throw in with Buckrub on this one. This is another sign of the fracturing US consensus on what it means to be "American". As the screws are tightened on living standards and economic security (and they will be) I see these fractures getting much worse. A lot of resentment and anger out there.

Will

BarryBobPosthole
02-18-2014, 04:03 PM
The thing on the website that said something about the laws the police were enforcing were immoral kind of tipped me off as to what their mentality is.

BKB

Buckrub
02-18-2014, 05:23 PM
I got to say..........if a cop busts in my house, screaming and hollering and whatever, at 2:00 a.m., the first thing I'm gonna reach for AIN'T my glasses.

But I'm thinking that situation is already legal. If not, why not? What does this law do?

As to the other stuff, man........you guys ought to follow me around the internet......that's all I'm going to say. I think someone is a bit sheltered, but hey, that's just me.

BarryBobPosthole
02-18-2014, 05:28 PM
If that is a problem in Indiana then just don't allow those types of entries. Problem solved. Now cops will be pulling the damn trigger the moment you reach for those glasses and I don't blame 'em.

I can't remember the last time the cops performed an illegal search and seizure here in my state.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
02-18-2014, 05:31 PM
I'm thinking it may be the last thing you do though...

I got to say..........if a cop busts in my house, screaming and hollering and whatever, at 2:00 a.m., the first thing I'm gonna reach for AIN'T my glasses.

Buckrub
02-18-2014, 05:50 PM
Whoa here.

I don't think this is a problem.

But if he busts in the front door, he ain't gonna shoot me that instant, cause there's 4 walls between us and he can't even see me yet. But I ain't real lucid in the middle of the night, and I'm half blind. So I probably get shot at some point........but I wouldn't know it was a cop, OR I wouldn't be shooting!~~ !!! Geez.

And SOMETHING has to be the last thing I do~

Chicken Dinner
02-18-2014, 05:55 PM
Don't get me wrong as I'd probably be reaching for my pistola as well if I didn't hear them announce themselves. I'm just saying if they come to the wrong house and see either one of us reaching for a gun we're probably both out of luck...

Buckrub
02-18-2014, 06:04 PM
If they see it, yeah. But they'd have to jump through an outside window to see it at my house.

Whatever.......back to the article.......what was the point? My point was that you can do this LEGALLY already.....whether it's smart, whether it's effective, those are other questions. But why a law?

Indiana natives? What's going on????

LJ3
02-18-2014, 06:13 PM
Well just don't jump out that window in to your blue snow.

Buckrub
02-18-2014, 06:24 PM
It looked white to me.

Thumper
02-18-2014, 08:50 PM
First of all, cops don't just bust in with a warrant unannounced. They announce who they are and the fact they have a warrant. If they fail to do so, I'd assume shooting them would be justified. It seems REALLY stupid to make this a law the way it's worded. It seems a bit redundant.

BarryBobPosthole
02-18-2014, 08:59 PM
The first time a cop won't enter a house to help someone because of this stupid ass law these assholes will be e first ones to scream. I swear. Free thought my ass.

BKB

hotshot
02-19-2014, 01:44 PM
Thank you Indiana Legislature.... Looks like this will be the 3rd time in 5 years Saturday night Live will make fun of you!
As for elections in Indiana: all ya gotta be for the most part is Republican. Some are good guys... some are whack jobs.
Hoosier Hospitality... Our government is nice to unless you are a teacher, a union member, or gay..... and now we can shoot our police apparently.
Gees!

BarryBobPosthole
02-19-2014, 01:53 PM
Haha, not to worry. We're right there with you. The state rep from the town I live in just got a new bill out of committee today that will allow people to carry firearms into our state capitol. At least it may make for a more entertaining legislative session. (oh and it was damned important we passed that though, you know how many shooting we've had in state capitols that could've been avoided if only somebody on 'our' side had a gun)

BKB

Buckrub
02-19-2014, 02:09 PM
It's not to let them protect the world. It's to not prosecute them when they forget to stick it in the glove box.

Georgia just did same thing.....decriminalized carrying a gun into an airport.

Old forgetful men are the ones these laws are for. And don't forget.......old forgetful men are the ones passing them!

Buckrub
02-19-2014, 05:44 PM
Georgia in the news, too.

http://news.yahoo.com/group-puts-confederate-flag-ga-specialty-tag-144300359.html

Buckrub
02-19-2014, 05:47 PM
And I'm betting the CBO gets defunded soon!!! :wavey

http://news.yahoo.com/minimum-wage-report-puts-democrats-defensive-082438025--finance.html

BarryBobPosthole
02-19-2014, 06:11 PM
LOL I was thinking the same thing, Bucky. the Republicans hate the CBO except when its news in their favor and the Democrats do the exact same thing! So they're either genuises or idiots, take yer pick!

BKB

Captain
02-19-2014, 06:37 PM
North Carolina has had the Confederate flag on state tags for the past ten years or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Buckrub
02-19-2014, 07:19 PM
I think A) they are idiots because they are part of the Gummint and B) they are the closest thing to geniusii that the Gummint has!!!

BarryBobPosthole
02-19-2014, 07:25 PM
You could be right!

BKB

Buckrub
02-19-2014, 07:26 PM
But not Left.