PDA

View Full Version : Hard Water and Insanity

Big Skyz
02-20-2014, 09:45 AM
Went fishing on the hard water.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/TroyLowerStillwaterSM2-17-2014_zps9dec7cac.jpg

However the drive over and back were insane and not something I will ever do again. Over 200 miles of icy snow covered roads, with up 70+mph winds.

Here is the sign that greeted me at the beginning of the drive home. It didn't help that 4 skiers had been caught in an avalanche just the day before in the same area.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/ColumbiaFalls2-18-14_zps017ff17d.jpg

Here's what driving in 70+mph wind looks like. There were times when it turned to a complete whiteout. It was extremely intense and stressful.http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/MariasPassc2-18-14_zps394c9314.jpg

While these mountains are beautiful knowing that death can and often does occur at any moment does take a litte of the fun out of it. I'm just glad to be home alive.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/SouthGlacierb2-18-14_zps41e94535.jpg

Thumper
02-20-2014, 09:54 AM
Crotch deep snow! :D

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/TroyLowerStillwaterSM2-17-2014_zps9dec7cac.jpg

I know I many times thought WTF am I doing? ... when I was driving a truck in those conditions. I DO NOT miss it ... at least, not THAT part of the job!

BarryBobPosthole
02-20-2014, 10:01 AM
Seems to be a long way to drive for a few perch. Nothing closer?

BKB

Big Skyz
02-20-2014, 10:01 AM
Actually Thump you crossed my mind on this trip. There were several semi trucks that went by me going the other way as I traversed the mountain pass. There is not enough money in the entire world to get me behind the wheel of a big rig, on that road, in those conditions!!!

P.S. that snow gets even deeper when one of your legs falls through an unseen ice hole. I managed to do that for the first time on this trip. Did I mention the ice was about 3 feet thick, but the water comes up to the top of the ice. Worse part was my boot wedged in and I was temporarily stuck. Took me about a minute to get my foot and leg back out. Not fun in super cold water. Not to mention the fact charlie horses set in almost istantly as I tried to get my let/foot free. I'm really not sure what I would have done if I hadn't been able to wiggle out. I'm getting too old for this crap.

Big Skyz
02-20-2014, 10:08 AM
BBP, nothing closer with quality size. The lake we were fishing has potential for some very big perch, but they just didn't bite this time around. Here's a couple from my last trip out there a couple years ago. This is the size of perch I was willing to risk the drive for.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/TroyBigPerch_zpsd1210ee4.jpg

Bwana
02-20-2014, 10:11 AM
I can see why the drive might have been a bit tense. Those roads were in ALOT better shape when the family and I were out that way last summer. ;)

Bwana
02-20-2014, 10:12 AM
So you still haven't found your glasses? :)

Big Skyz
02-20-2014, 10:18 AM
Don't need'em anymore cept to read or draw. I've have the same vision as BBP, but can't see anything up close.

BarryBobPosthole
02-20-2014, 10:23 AM
Sure does make it nice for sunglasses and such doesn't it? also, I always have had a problem with glasses fogging up on me especially in the summer.

Those tiger striped perch are some dandy eating. Seeing all that snow on top of the ice, I'll bet it was a slushy son of a gun.

At least you got to fish!

Maybe this weekend for me.

BKB

Big Skyz
02-20-2014, 10:36 AM
BBP, finding bifocal dark glasses is kind of a pain. The most annoying thing I've run into so far is trying to tie on hooks/lures/flies with light line. They just don't seem to make cheater glasses strong enough for that. I'm going to buy a pair of clip on magnifying glasses that clip to the bill of your hat, and see if that works better.

One thing that did make me smile one the way out was this little dark cloud in the photo below. Before I hit the mountains on the way over it was relatively clear skies with just a few white or light grey clouds. However, there was this lone dark cloud off to the West. It made me wonder if Bucky had snuck into Montana and was hanging out over there as he seems to have his own personal little dark cloud that follows him everywhere.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/DarkCloud_zps9759b94f.jpg

Penguin
02-20-2014, 10:59 AM
Crazy traveling but some great fish Troy. Glad to see someone out there getting after it this winter. It's been so bad here that I haven't even been on a trail of any kind since christmas. Everything is ice and snow packed. Maybe I should take up snowshoeing... at least it would get me off the treadmill. :)

Will

Thumper
02-20-2014, 12:10 PM
Or move down here and take up "beachwalking". :D

Buckrub
02-20-2014, 12:32 PM
You guys have the vision that i used to have. Yours will deteriorate more over time, and you'll need magnification in the top part of bifocals to read, then to see "out there", then even to eat or watch TV. You won't ever take your glasses off. But you have years before that. I was 20/15 in both eyes at all distances, for my entire life, till about age 43. Downhill steady since.

That is a pretty part of the world, as is Bubba's place. But not in winter. I just can't deal with that stuff, that temp, that drastic weather. I have to be outside too much. We've had the coldest winter in a long time (one fishing guide on a lake here said the water temp out in the middle was the coldest it had been in "ever") and still no hard water. Folks have fished all winter. Some busted ice for a hundred yards from shore to get to open water, but that's all. Even that is too much for me. Fishing shouldn't have a 'season'.

Chicken Dinner
02-20-2014, 01:02 PM
Some of those early pictures remind me of the scenery up in the Gallatin District. Beautiful country and we did a couple of awesome hikes. Never could get over the feeling of looking over my shoulder for Grizzly bear though.

Buckrub
02-20-2014, 01:03 PM
BBP, finding bifocal dark glasses is kind of a pain. The most annoying thing I've run into so far is trying to tie on hooks/lures/flies with light line. They just don't seem to make cheater glasses strong enough for that. I'm going to buy a pair of clip on magnifying glasses that clip to the bill of your hat, and see if that works better.

One thing that did make me smile one the way out was this little dark cloud in the photo below. Before I hit the mountains on the way over it was relatively clear skies with just a few white or light grey clouds. However, there was this lone dark cloud off to the West. It made me wonder if Bucky had snuck into Montana and was hanging out over there as he seems to have his own personal little dark cloud that follows him everywhere.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/DarkCloud_zps9759b94f.jpg

If I had been, I'd have been lucky, not unlucky.

Niner
02-20-2014, 01:04 PM
That's a long way on some dangerous roads just to catch a few fish. Did you eat them? I forget if you said you like fish or not....

Thanks for posting up these pics!! Now we can change the wallpaper over in the fishing room.

BarryBobPosthole
02-20-2014, 01:21 PM
Troy, they make some stick on optical lenses for dive masks that are just an inch or so wide. Lots of folks who don't want to pay for a prescription lens in their dive mask use them. They might work for a pair of sunglasses for your knot tying or other close up work. they adhere without adhesive. might be worth a look at.

I just carry a pair of walmart readers in my pocket for when I have to see that well. I can tie a fisherman's knot blindfolded but if I have to tie a bloodknot or a palomar I have to use my glasses.

BKB

quercus alba
02-20-2014, 01:36 PM
I wish i could wear bifocals. I have trifocals, probably need hexfocals. maybe Elton John has an old pair he'd let me have

Buckrub
02-20-2014, 01:57 PM
It ain't the knot tyin', you goober. It's THREADING THE HOOK EYE!!!

Big Skyz
02-20-2014, 03:04 PM
Threading the hook eye and knot tying are both a much bigger challenge these days.

Niner, I'm not a big freshwater fish eater, but I make exceptions for perch and walleye. Love a lot of the ocean fish though.

Buckrub
02-20-2014, 03:48 PM
Unlike some that are in management, I can tie a Jerry Williams knot OR a Palomar knot blindfolded. I just can't get the dadgum line through the dadgum hook eye.

Big Skyz
02-20-2014, 04:04 PM
I only tie three knots Polomar, fishermans, and Rapala. Never needed anything beyond that. However, when I'm dealing with 2 to 4 lbs line it doesn't matter what knot it is, I can't see the friggen stuff!

Thumper
02-20-2014, 04:53 PM
Every time I look at the title to this thread ... all I think about is that WATER was meant to be LIQUID ... at all times! (unless it's in a cooler or a tall glass of sumpin' good to drink) ;)

Big Skyz
02-20-2014, 05:07 PM
Thump I'm just as hard wired for cooler temps are you are for warmer. Anything over 85 degrees and I start getting real uncomfortable. Over 90 and I hate life. Over 100 I basically shut down and don't do anything. I can't stand being too hot.

Buckrub
02-20-2014, 08:53 PM
Big Sky, here is what a guy did today on the lake here, the one I hate with all my heart...........

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/showthread.php/275054-Water-way-around-Conway

P.S.
He and 5 others can do this consistently at this location. Trust me when I tell you that 100 others try it nonstop, and 100 others come home empty. I don't know how to do what he does, and my big boat won't fit there well. Plus I hate the lake, before you ask. It's a shame, it's very close. But I'd rather go anywhere else. This place is like trying to fish in Walmart during Christmas, if Walmart had stumps 1" under the floor at every step.

Buckrub
02-20-2014, 09:05 PM
Turns out this was in water "around Conway" but it wasn't on Lake Conway. Not sure where, there are several small lakes, creeks, etc. Wind today was up to 50 mph, so not sure how he did this.

Thumper
02-20-2014, 09:12 PM
WOW Bucky! Those are some nice fishies!

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/attachment.php?attachmentid=151710&d=1392943711

Buckrub
02-20-2014, 09:14 PM
He catches them like that every time out. I don't even know his name. I will in April, the whole Arkansas contingent is having a get together/camping trip.

Captain
02-20-2014, 09:23 PM
Big Sky you are my friend and a good person. But you are insane!
A fish of any kind/size would be out of the question in weather like that. In fact I might just shoot myself before I'd go outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner