PDA

View Full Version : Ice Fishing Question

LJ3
02-20-2014, 01:53 PM
So... being in the south, when the water is cold in the spring and fall and you catch a fish they are usually very lethargic. The fight is similar to reeling in a plastic grocery bag. There's some resistance but it ain't much.

How does that compare with ice fishing? Seems like the "fight" would be even less eventful.

Buckrub
02-20-2014, 01:54 PM
Caught fish the other day in 46 degree water. They fought like they do any other time.

But that's a good question........awaiting the answer. (I don't see how they get those big fish up through that little hole...........)

LJ3
02-20-2014, 02:05 PM
It seems more pronounced with largemouth in my area. Maybe it's a species thing, I dunno. I only chase largemouth as a plan b. Plan A is river fishing for smallies. Of course, my priorities are becoming more cloudy now that a certain someone has a striper worthy bay vessel. OK, A Smailles, B Stripers, C Largemouth.

Wait...

let me think this thru more...

Shit.

Nevermind.

Bwana
02-20-2014, 02:06 PM
Guess I really never thought about it. Though the fight probably isn't on the same level as during the summer time, given you are fighting the fish from a single spot and through a hole in the ice does make for an interesting situation. Imagine trying to get a big fish's head in the hole, not easy.

Anyone else with more recent experience? Though I grew up ice fishing every weekend, due to a number of things I seem to be lucky to get out once or twice a year anymore.

Buckrub
02-20-2014, 02:07 PM
I catch stripers. And white bass.

And I make a lot of other mistakes in my life, as well.

HideHunter
02-20-2014, 09:05 PM
Nope - they are definitely more "tuned down" than in the summer - but in most cases you are using a 20 to 28" rod with 1 to 3# line for panfish and usually not more than 8 for anything else. Tends to even the playing field.

BarryBobPosthole
02-20-2014, 09:32 PM
I wonder if fish have the same conversation? I mean they ARE in an environment that's about 40 degrees or so warmer than a human when he's ice fishing.

BKB

airbud7
02-20-2014, 10:21 PM
I wonder if fish have the same conversation?

BKB

Sure they do...

BarryBobPosthole
02-20-2014, 10:46 PM
Now that is just very strange.

BKB

LJ3
02-21-2014, 10:38 AM
That guy is such a drama queen. I still watch him every once in a while, though.

BarryBobPosthole
02-21-2014, 10:44 AM
I don't know who that is. But isn't that a wolf fish? I've seen Larry Dahlberg fish for those a lot on his old program 'Hunt for Big Fish'. Its not anywhere in my Uverse lineup so I don't know if it went out of production or its just another screwing from the Death Star. Prolly another seven bucks.

BBK

LJ3
02-21-2014, 10:46 AM
He's the "river monsters" guy. Catches big ass fish after trying to make them seem extremely deadly for 25 minutes.

Thumper
02-21-2014, 11:17 AM
I'm with you Lenster ... drama queen all the way. 'Course, I guess that's what makes good television. I've watched a few times, but usually get tired of him. Of course, my favorite episode was fishing for giant catfish in the Mekong River between Laos and Thailand. ;)