PDA

View Full Version : Holy Schnikes!

BarryBobPosthole
02-20-2014, 03:15 PM
Had a doc appt this morning and when I turned into the lot at his office my ABS kicked in and I ended up jumping the curb. I pretty much knew from talking to a buddy that it was likely a tie rod end or a wheel bearing, so I took it by a mechanic and asked him to look at it. $550 for a new hub assembly/bearing/speed sensor on the left side and he says the right side tie rod end is worn out and that's another $300.

That's highway friggin robbery.

BKB

Buckrub
02-20-2014, 03:49 PM
I am leaving now to go get mother's car out of the shop. Fuel gauge messed up, goes haywire. Fixing it is over $200.00.

I'm telling her they just changed a fuse and I paid for it. I hope God doesn't hate ALL liars.

airbud7
02-20-2014, 03:53 PM
$119 part...http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Wheel-Bearing-Hub-Assembly-Front/2002-Chevrolet-Silverado-1500-4WD/_/N-jh8ivZah8xq?itemIdentifier=972770_859196_7209_

$425 labor

BarryBobPosthole
02-20-2014, 03:57 PM
Yep, I believe I'm gonna just do this one myself this weekend. I'm gonna let the tie rod end ride for now.

This truck has 117000 miles on it. Never had a wheel bearing go bad at that mileage. Functional obselescence.
BKB

LJ3
02-20-2014, 04:09 PM
Bearings will go bad if you put them in to curbs... Just sayin' :)

Big Skyz
02-20-2014, 04:09 PM
I don't remember what you drive, but sure sounds like something a GM product would do at a little over 100,000 miles.

Thumper
02-20-2014, 04:44 PM
I don't remember what you drive, but sure sounds like something a GM product would do at a little over 100,000 miles.

A hub AND a tie rod at barely over 100K???? And youse dufes STILL argue about how good those Chebbies are? ;)

Ummm, don't look now Postie ... but I think I told you it was prolly a bad wheel bearing/hub a couple months ago when you mentioned the ABS light coming on (or sumpin' like that).

Buckrub
02-20-2014, 05:47 PM
I didn't say Chevy's were the most reliable truck on the road, never have. But they're dang reliable, mine have 200,000 miles and not much wrong. What I have said, and I speak only for me, is that they are the most functional. Period. And that I like them.

Niner
02-20-2014, 06:15 PM
It's a Chevy. Patch her up and keep plugging along. It's mechanical, and regardless of brand...sooner or later shit is gonna break.

Fortunately for you, you've the means and ability to DIY it and save yourself a few hundred bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Big Skyz
02-20-2014, 06:20 PM
I will say this, if a guy likes to do his own mechanic work, he will have plenty of opportunity to improve if he owns a GM product. ;) Speaking of which as I was making my drive through Hell this weekend everyone had there driving lights on, which was a good thing. However, I noticed a large number only had one side working. Of those winkers, everyone one of them was a GM pick up. So were they all just not working or can you select one or the other on GM trucks?

Buckrub
02-20-2014, 06:34 PM
No, that's a GM issue. No clue why.......but the "Day Lights" on all GM products are sorry as a bad mother in law. They suck. They go out constantly. Every fifth oil change, I have to change one of those bulbs. I bet about 1/2 of GM products have one light out.

Thumper
02-20-2014, 06:42 PM
I didn't realize that. Just a couple days ago I was walking out to the mailbox and my neighbor came down the street in his Chevy. I noticed one "driving light" was out and mentioned it to him. He said, "AGAIN??" and got out to look at it. Then he said, "Damn! I just replaced the other one a month or two ago! Not a big deal really ... I guess ... but kinda weird to hear it's a "problem". How basic can ya' get?

Buckrub
02-20-2014, 06:47 PM
How basic?

I'd guess a Toyota.

Thumper
02-20-2014, 06:55 PM
Ha! I'm asking what could be more basic than a frigging light bulb?

Big Skyz
02-20-2014, 06:58 PM
Bucky, I appreciate you being straight forward on this light bulb thing. I just hadn't noticed it until my recent trip. There were so many I really was wondering if they had some kind of weird select switch or something.

BarryBobPosthole
02-20-2014, 07:09 PM
Can we stay on task please? I was feeling sorry for myself for having to work on my truck in February and I ain't getting the proper sympathy.

I can do the hub assembly easy enough. I just have to buy a torque wrench (mine ran off after it grew a pair of legs) and a 32 mm friggin socket that I'll never use again. Its the inner tie rod end that I have never done. So that'll get my cherry. what frickin special tools do I need for that?

BKB

Big Skyz
02-20-2014, 07:16 PM
Okay BBP I feel sorry for ya, but your stay on task comment made me laugh. Mostly because we all know there is no chance of that on this site. :D

Buckrub
02-20-2014, 07:17 PM
Let's ride bikes!!!!

Thumper
02-20-2014, 07:18 PM
You'll need a "pickle fork". An impact wrench would make it a LOT easier if you have one ... but you can do it manually with a hammer (two different pickle forks).

Ya' may want to buy a "package deal" for future jobs. (looks like it has a "hammer end" as well as an "impact end")

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAyWDUwMg==/z/DiAAAOxy-o5R1lEq/$T2eC16FHJGwFFZe6,u8YBR1lEqFMFQ~~60_35.JPG

BarryBobPosthole
02-20-2014, 07:19 PM
What in the blue f--- is a pickle fork?

BKB

Captain
02-20-2014, 07:22 PM
What in the blue f--- is a pickle fork? BKB

You are kidding right?

Captain
02-20-2014, 07:26 PM

Thumper
02-20-2014, 07:27 PM
Just found what looks like a pretty decent video. I didn't watch the whole thing but just looked at bits & pieces. He seems to give a lot of good advice. Remember to mark your old ones because you'll need to drive the truck down to get it aligned so you'll want the alignment as close as possible.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0tX7LmONawU?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Big Muddy
02-20-2014, 07:53 PM
I found out, yesterday, that these new vehicles have what is called a "clock spring", inside the steering wheel....it powers up everything inside the steering column---horn, airbag, cruise control, radio controls, turn signals, etc., etc.

Weird little electrical device that allows the steering wheel to rotate, yet, still maintain electrical contact to buttons and switches....$225 for the part---$200 for labor...., but, you gotta have it....I googled an installation video, which proved it was above my pay grade, so I took it to the dealer.

Thumper
02-20-2014, 07:57 PM
That's basically been around forever (for the horn ring to operate) but they kept adding stuff over the years by putting a zillion controls in the steering wheel. Ya' gots ta' be careful on the DIY jobs nowadays. Ya' wouldn't want to get an airbag in the face!

airbud7
02-20-2014, 07:58 PM
That's a Blazer Thump....He needs to see this Silverado Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihIR7tssfJs

Thumper
02-20-2014, 08:03 PM
Heck, what's the diff between a 4WD Silverado and a 4WD Blazer? I just grabbed the video on the fly because it displays the basics. At least it shows what a "pickle fork" is. ;)

airbud7
02-20-2014, 08:09 PM
The Silverado looks like an easy job...the guy in the video says "pickle fork" too haha

BarryBobPosthole
02-20-2014, 08:09 PM
I've never done a tie rod end. What other devious uses are there for pickle forks?

I may have to go home and get advice from the senior mechanic when I do the tie rod end.

BKB

Captain
02-20-2014, 08:12 PM
I've never done a tie rod end. What other devious uses are there for pickle forks? I may have to go home and get advice from the senior mechanic when I do the tie rod end. BKB

Off the top of my head tie rods and steering arms on an 8N tractor. ;)

Thumper
02-20-2014, 08:13 PM
I've called 'em "pickle forks" for ... well ... ummm ... forever! Most mechanics do.

You can use 'em mostly on pitman arms and ball joints (tie rods) P-hole.

A kit like the one above is pretty cheap which is fine as long as you're not a professional and gonna be using it all the time. That one would last you a lifetime.

Thumper
02-20-2014, 08:17 PM
It "can" be a bitch ... or it can go relatively easy P-hole. Soak everything with Liquid Wrench the night before ... ESPECIALLY if you're gonna be using hand tools and not an impact wrench and air chisle. If you've been in salt ... they can sometimes be a bitch to break loose.

BarryBobPosthole
02-20-2014, 08:20 PM
Yep, I have a breaker bar and liquid wrench and a good long cheater. I have to wait till next weekend to do the job so I'll soak the caliper bracket bolts and such Friday night. At least the onez I can see! I'm more worried about the hub being froze up where the spline is on the axle. Might have to rig up some kind of puller. I know there's bolt holes there. Saw them when I did my brake job.

BKB

Captain
02-20-2014, 08:23 PM
Using liquid wrench is old school Thumper......
Get with the times. PB Blaster makes liquid wrench seem like glue.

BarryBobPosthole
02-20-2014, 08:26 PM
PBBlaster .....I'll try it! Good as Seafoam?

BKB

Thumper
02-20-2014, 08:32 PM
Hey! I AM old school and probably a bit behind the times! Besides, I quit doing vehicle repairs many, many years ago. Hmmm, come to think of it ... I guess I've never had to repair any of my vehicles since I switched over to Toyotas in 1981 ... so it HAS been a while! :D

Big Muddy
02-20-2014, 08:32 PM
Ditto, Cap....I keep a can of PB Blaster in just about every vehicle around here.

Thumper
02-20-2014, 08:36 PM
You know sumpin'? This thread kind'a reminded me. I prolly ought'a start getting rid of some of my tools. I have two rollaways crammed with every tool known to man (one of those rollaways is HUGE). That doesn't even take into account the half dozen portable tool boxes stuffed full of tools. All my tools are Snap-on and Craftsman with a few SK's thrown in for good measure. Heck, I don't even change my own oil anymore. :(

Big Muddy
02-20-2014, 08:38 PM
PBBlaster .....I'll try it! Good as Seafoam?

BKB

Ahaaaa....Sea Foam, those two magic words....better use the PB Blaster, however, on your tie rods. ;)

Captain
02-20-2014, 08:44 PM
PBBlaster .....I'll try it! Good as Seafoam? BKB

PB blaster is as Good for its purpose as Sea Foam is for its purpose... So yes ;-)

Captain
02-20-2014, 08:46 PM
You know sumpin'? This thread kind'a reminded me. I prolly ought'a start getting rid of some of my tools. I have two rollaways crammed with every tool known to man (one of those rollaways is HUGE). That doesn't even take into account the half dozen portable tool boxes stuffed full of tools. All my tools are Snap-on and Craftsman with a few SK's thrown in for good measure. Heck, I don't even change my own oil anymore. :(

Hammerhead is in need of a good set of tools. If you go to sell out fix him up a good supply and I'll send you some cash.

Thumper
02-20-2014, 09:21 PM
I'll tell you what Cappy. Maybe we could work something out. I talked to my doc today and he suggested we do the surgery next week on an "out-patient" basis (I'd told him Monday that I'm really tired of living my life in a hospital bed). Maybe I could bring a load up to the beach house when you're down here. Shipping would be a BITCH on those heavy things. I have every hand-tool imaginable and some air tools (although I haven't used them in years) as well as electric stuff like drills, grinders, buffers, etc. Heck, it's been so long since I turned a wrench, I've forgotten half the stuff I have. Does he need a box? Elaborate or basic? Give me an idea what he needs and I'll dig around a bit.

Oh, I also have those OLD estate sale tools here including that Ford wrench. I guess we need to meet up somewhere.

Captain
02-20-2014, 09:40 PM
He has NOTHING except what he has "acquired" from my big set.. ;-)
He could use anything from a standard/metric beginning set to a full cabinet.
We will be in my truck and we plan on fishing a few days starting next Saturday. (The 2nd I think) and will probably come home Tuesday or Wednesday. We are sorta open ended. JB and his pretty wife might come over to the Florida house and stay a day or so before heading back to Yankee land. Then they my come on up to and stay either at our home in NC or our farm in SC later in the week. Depending on their and our travel schedules.
The only tools david has is one of those little "handyman" kits he keeps in his truck tool box.
So I'm sorta open ended as far as what you want to sell or dispose of.

Buckrub
02-20-2014, 10:23 PM
Which iPhone app do you use to keep track of where yore spoda be at any one time?

Captain
02-20-2014, 10:30 PM
Ain't gonna hoe this row but one time. I'll rest when I die....

Thumper
02-20-2014, 11:17 PM
Sorry. Right after that post, Lynn brought supper up to me and I watched 2-3 Pawn Stars episodes. Back on this 'puter now planning out my estate sale schedule for tomorrow.

Cappy, it sounds like he just needs a basic set-up for general mechanical stuff. I have an old roll-away in the garage which is the first unit I ever bought. It's just a discombobulated set-up that I pieced together when I was making about $90/week and needed tools (I was a "beginning" mechanic at a Pontiac dealership in Orlando). It's a basic Craftsman bottom box/roll-away and a bottom of the line Snap-on top box. (heck, I'm 90% sure I still have the keys for them even!) The drawers are sliders ... no bearings. I think it would make a good beginner set-up for him unless he wants top of the line stuff. I could also throw together a portable Craftsman box for his truck with all the basics. I assume all hand tools and maybe an electric drill motor would do it (no air tools?).

Ya' think that's what you have in mind? (bring your N.C. house title as collateral) :D

Captain
02-20-2014, 11:29 PM
What you describe sounds perfect. Let me know if you want to meet somewhere or of you want to come over to the Florida house and stay over and go out to eat.
Shoot me an email or text and I'll drop a check in the mail or bring cash when I'm down there.
I'm smarter than you think. See if I keep you down there tool trading you want be up here. :D

Captain
02-20-2014, 11:46 PM
Sorry. Right after that post, Lynn brought supper up to me
That gal is WAY too good to you.

Thumper
02-21-2014, 12:41 AM
I'll get something put together and get back with you. Maybe text some pics, etc. I used to be a total tool whore but couldn't tell you the last time I turned a wrench. It's time to let some of that stuff go.

Gonna hit the sack now and get rested up for an estate sale in the morning. Sumpin' in the garage caught my eye. Looks like a White's Spectrum or maybe an Eclipse ... can't tell. You still looking for one'a these? I'm planning on grabbing it if the price is right, but I know the ol' gal running this sale and she's generally a bit on the high side. If so, I'll be there bright and early Saturday morning when everything's half price and see if it's still there. It's a gamble, but many times it pays off for me. Then again, she usually shuts it down around 1:00 pm on Saturdays and if there's anything left, she'll usually work with me. We picked up a nice stainless gas grill that way. They wanted $250 for it on Friday, $125 on Saturday. I went back at noon on Saturday and talked her into giving it to me for $50 ... AND it had a full tank of propane and a new cover. ;)

Here's what caught my eye for tomorrow (White's make a nice unit ... my first unit in the late 60's was a White's Goldmaster):

http://pictures.estatesales.net/570165/12120249/2.jpg

Captain
02-21-2014, 07:47 AM
I had a gold master too, Years ago... Sounds good. On the tools or the detector. Just let me know.

Niner
02-21-2014, 08:27 AM
I know Cap'n has dibs on that detector, but keep me in mind the next time you run across one.

I'd love to have one to find "stuff" at The Farm.....also would be handy for finding brass cartridge shells in the grass after a shooting session.

BarryBobPosthole
02-21-2014, 08:30 AM
That is something I have never done but have been around some folks who do it as a hobby and they do indeed find some cool stuff. Fort Gibson here in Oklahoma was one of the old original outposts of the west back in the day. A friend of mine found a cavalry spur there once when we were diggin' around with his detector. Seems like it'd be a fun hobby.

BKB

Bwana
02-21-2014, 10:32 AM
I too would love to get my hands on a good, underpriced metal detector. Not sure when it would get used but it always looked like a fun treasure hunt.

Arty
02-21-2014, 10:49 AM
Using liquid wrench is old school Thumper......
Get with the times. PB Blaster makes liquid wrench seem like glue.

+2.
PB Blaster is the schiz-nit

Niner
02-21-2014, 11:13 AM
If you like PB, you'd love Aero-Kroil.

http://www.kanolabs.com/penLub.html#anchor173855