PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 of a gun, and a handshake

Buckrub
02-23-2014, 11:50 AM
Went to the RMEF banquet last night. Friend of mine is the Regional Director in this area........just turned in his retirement papers effective this summer, so this is his last one in this area.

My fishing buddy went, and our wives. Had a good time. I sat next to another old friend I hadn't seen in a while......turns out he and the RMEF guy are "grandfathers in law".......got the same grandson, who was there........and sat at our table.

I bragged about my fishing buddy going to win something. He always does. He is like Bubba. He never, ever, EVER goes to DU, Buckmasters, RMEF, any of 'em, without coming home with a new gun or something. I won ONE gun cleaning thingy........ever. Well, we split the big bunch of combo tickets, and divided up the coupons to go stick in buckets, etc. Everything had an even number except ONE ticket....the blue one......only one of those. It went on a Weatherby Vanguard .300 Win Mag with scope. So he said "Well, I'll just put this ticket in that bucket, and if 'we' win, 'we'll' come up with some arrangement"...........

Well, we went on all night, and he never won a thing. Got to the last drawing.............and yep!! You guessed it. "We" won the Weatherby.

Course, he got home with it. All he could talk about all the way home was shooting it and how he was gonna 'reach out and touch 'em' (his main stand is sorta like mine, all of a sudden in middle of a clearcut!!!)......... so I dunno if I'll ever even see it again. I'll withhold judgment till I see the 'arrangement' he comes up with. He's a salesman......so I figure it'll be "Well, I tell you what.......I will let you come mow my yard only HALF the time this next year" or some such........ :) But we'll see. He's got a .45 pistol I'd sure like to have!!! I mentioned that, and he didn't say nuthin'!!!

Oh, and also.......met Peyton Hillis. Sat at next table with his family. I went and introduced myself and told him my daughter was his favorite high school teacher, and his eyes lit up. He really liked her....would always come back to see her when she was still here in town teaching.

So........a nice evening............enjoyable.

Big Muddy
02-23-2014, 04:56 PM
I guess you will find out what your friend's definition of "WE", actually is, huh???

One question....why did you let him appoint himself the privilege of carrying the gun home with him???....especially, since you had never won anything, and he had won so many guns in the past.

Maybe I'm not reading your post correctly, but it sorta seems a little greedy on your friend's part.

IMHO, I think your salesman-friend took advantage of your good-nature.

Personally, I just can't see "sharing" ownership of a gun, with anyone outside of a family member....I'd either buy his half, or sell him my half of the gun.

Buckrub
02-23-2014, 07:01 PM
I originally thought it was a .300 WSM. When I thought that, I said "Man, if 'we' win that, I can't shoot it". I already have a 7mm WSM and that's more gun than I want. I'd sell it. So he knew that. Plus I knew he really wanted it. I'm sure he'll make it right somehow. And if he took advantage of me, well..........he was so tickled with it, and I don't have a use for it, and if he gets 100% of it and I get nothing, well........he's happy. Sort of like taking my boat every time we go. Luke 6:29, you know.

Big Muddy
02-23-2014, 11:20 PM
Man, you sure did change gears about that gun, from your first post.

I'll buy gun raffle tickets on halves with you, anytime!!! ;)

Buckrub
02-23-2014, 11:41 PM
I did?

How?

Trav
02-24-2014, 10:18 AM
Hombre and I went to a DU dinner many years ago and he won a Benelli Nova that he sold to Posthole and he and I went in halfsies on a few tickets and we won a Mossberg 835 Ultimag. We came up with fair used value of the gun and I bought him out. The cool thing was we both went home a gun.

BarryBobPosthole
02-24-2014, 10:24 AM
I can't hit the broad side of a barn with that shotgun. Its aims differently for some reason I can't figure out. I need to sell it. I think Hombre might have bent the barrel on purpose.
BKB

Buckrub
02-25-2014, 10:06 PM
We researched the prices online and I got a check for 1/2 of the prices we found.

Captain
02-25-2014, 10:35 PM
I can't hit the broad side of a barn with that shotgun. Its aims differently for some reason I can't figure out. I need to sell it. I think Hombre might have bent the barrel on purpose. BKB

Does that crooked barrel Nova shoot 3 1/2 shells and does it have a set of chokes with it.
You might have a buyer..

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

HideHunter
02-25-2014, 10:38 PM
We researched the prices online and I got a check for 1/2 of the prices we found.

Seems plenty fair. Congrats on the win.