PDA

View Full Version : Put me in Coach.

Chicken Dinner
02-27-2014, 11:22 AM
I'm ready to play!

Just picked up four tickets to take the family to Opening Day Nats v. Braves. We're gonna beat those Braves like a rented mule this year. 19 degrees here this morning with highs next week around freezing. (Very unseasonable for this area.) So, this should give me something to cling to for the next 5 weeks...

Buckrub
02-27-2014, 11:27 AM
I'm jealous. STL opening day tickets are going to be about a bazillion dollars each and scarcer than hen's teeth. I am planning to go end of May, subject to 1,000 things changing...

BarryBobPosthole
02-27-2014, 11:28 AM
Not sure when we'll make the trip up for a game. Hopefully in Sept when there's a pennant race.

BKB

Captain
02-27-2014, 11:51 AM
RACE! Race???? There's racing in Baseball? And I thought there was only crying...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Buckrub
02-27-2014, 11:59 AM
No crying in baseball. You're confused.

Lots of races.................

BarryBobPosthole
02-27-2014, 12:03 PM
One of my favorite old sayings told to me by a true son of Norway.........Cowboys don't cry and Indians don't give a fuck.

BKB

Captain
02-27-2014, 12:07 PM
Cowboys don't cry. But all I've heard out of Baseball the last 10 years IS crying..... They are ALWAYS whinnying about something.

Chicken Dinner
02-27-2014, 12:11 PM
Bucky, I went last year with a bunch of guys I used to run around with in my single days. I had a great time and we had awesome seats on the first base line about 10 rows from the field that we picked up after market. We also paid through the nose for them. (I don't remember the exact amount, but it was over $100 each.) This year I decided to pull the kids out of school and take the family. (Not all lessons are learned in a classroom.) At any rate, the tickets went on sale from the box office at 10am and I was waiting and ready with four browsers open. I picked up four about 20 rows above the Nats bullpen (right field) for $40 each. I think that's about a $15 premium over what these seats go for on a regular basis. As long as I feed the kids lunch at home before we go, it shouldn't break the bank.

Buckrub
02-27-2014, 12:19 PM
Well........some venues are a harder ticket than others.

The Cardinal website just put up the tickets for 2014. Opening day is GONE. Stubhub only has 4,000 total for opening day, STARTING at a hundred bucks.

Chicken Dinner
02-27-2014, 12:30 PM
No doubt Cards tickets are probably harder to come by as they've got a couple of more years of history behind them. (And, a tad more success on the field...) However, Nats tix went on sale at 10am and there are only a few stray singles at the $80 and $100 level for Opening Day behind home plate available at this point. I just jumped on line right at 10am so I wouldn't have to go the Stub Hub route. For the rest of the season, I'll probably bottom feed off craigslist or go on scholarship with corporate seats through friends. It's a real luxury to not have to travel to see a game.

Thumper
02-27-2014, 12:33 PM
You mean to tell me people actually PAY to watch a baseball game??? Sheeesh! ;)

Chicken Dinner
02-27-2014, 12:38 PM
It beats watching cars go around in circles...

quercus alba
02-27-2014, 12:42 PM
I agree with thump and CD both......kinda. That's money and time that could be spent fishing

Buckrub
02-27-2014, 12:52 PM
I swear, I have tried HARD to get interested in NASCAR. After all, some very intelligent friends of mine are crazy about it.

I can't. I try all the time. It's impossible to get.

Reason? I suppose because I don't understand the nuances of it. I don't 'get it'............which is probably the same from them on baseball. Course, baseball is a bit harder to figure out...........and it's a microcosm of life.........and maybe baseball lends itself ok to TV, and cars in circles doesn't. Maybe that's it. I don't honestly know.

BarryBobPosthole
02-27-2014, 01:03 PM
Y'all are probably uncircumsized too.

BKB

Buckrub
02-27-2014, 01:20 PM
They are certainly unwashed.

I'm sitting here with a Busch Stadium seating chart, printed out in color.........and trying to find tickets for our 44th anniversary, May 30.......a Friday....Giants are in town.......... But Yankees are there for a series ending Wednesday night.....and I'd sure like to see Jeter one last time, and beat the Yankees by 15 runs.....but these are hard tickets to come by already, unless I sit in nosebleed.............and I just might, just to get in the park............and skip Thursday night, and watch two games. But my goodness..........a month's salary for a 4 day trip.

BarryBobPosthole
02-27-2014, 01:28 PM
The Giants. Pshaw. One great run of about 20 games, one very strange pitching staff, and everyone thought they were world beaters. The world is realizing they were lucky is all.

Jonah Keri, who writes for Grantland, picked Buster Posey as his NL MVP at the All Star break last year. I challenged him on it and he got indignant with me. Quoted a bunch of park adjusted horseshit stats that the younger sportswriting crowd is all enamored with. Like WAR, and park adjusted average, and a bunch of other meaningless crap that says nothing about how a player actually plays on the field.

Anyway, I wouldn't walk to my mailbox to get a ticket out to see the Giants if the Yankees will be in town. that's historic.

BKB

Buckrub
02-27-2014, 01:31 PM
My wife wants to see a Cardinal game on our anniversary.

BarryBobPosthole
02-27-2014, 01:41 PM
Then Giants it is! I'd kind of like to see Hunter Pence in person to see if he really can get all those arms and legs going as fast as they say he can. You staying in the honeymooners suite at the Lumiere? Maybe you'll run into Mike Shannon. Just don't get him so drunk before the game next time!

BKB

Buckrub
02-27-2014, 02:20 PM
No, if I stay anywhere, it's the Hampton STL South probably.............but their rates have gone up.

Still just thinking on all this.

But we WILL eat at Shannon's..........grass fed beef......ONCE! $200 meal, but hey...........

BarryBobPosthole
02-27-2014, 02:26 PM
I think we ate at Joe Buck's place last time we went to a game. Not bad eats and a lot less expensive than Shannon's. I used to go to St Louis once a week on business several years ago and our office wasn't too far from Ozzies. I've drank a LOT of drinks at Ozzies. Never saw Ozzie there once though. Nor Harriet.

BKB

Buckrub
02-27-2014, 02:52 PM
Been there too. Unimpressed. That's the West End........

Dang......I can't find a decent priced Hampton anywhere. And me with 29,785 points.........

BarryBobPosthole
02-27-2014, 02:59 PM
Do you go up to the Cape and go up from there?

BKB

Buckrub
02-27-2014, 03:10 PM
Cape of Good Hope? No, that's about 18,000 miles.

????

BarryBobPosthole
02-27-2014, 03:14 PM
No. Cape Girardeau Missouri doofus. I'd think 40 over to 55 and up that way to St Louis might be your fastest route up there and there might be a Hampton around there that'd work for you. Its a cool town and only a couple hours from st Lou.

BKB

Buckrub
02-27-2014, 03:21 PM
OH.

No, I usually go up US 67.........four lane all the way to Possum Grape, Arkansas............... :) ..........then speed trap mosquito-ville till some place in MO.....then more nice four lane to Fenton......then I55 rest of the way.

I also have a Drury Card........I may stay in one of those, further out. If I can't stay downtown (and I can't afford it), I just get plumb away from it to stay. Much cleaner and nicer........then drive and park downtown about 4-6 hours before gametime and walk around with the rest of the crazies. Best fun is when Cubs are in town. They are world's biggest jerks, and we love to harass 'em!!

BarryBobPosthole
02-27-2014, 03:28 PM
In all seriousness, we got a great rate at Lumiere last time we went up there. I think it was less than a hunnerd bucks a night. Plus you can walk to the ball park and McClede's Landing is right there and the arch and all that good stuff. You park once and don't see your vehicle until you're ready to leave. Pretty fair deal if you ask me.

BKB

Buckrub
02-27-2014, 03:40 PM
I can't find that rate there...........if you do, show me how.

Cards01
02-27-2014, 03:58 PM
Girardeau....

BarryBobPosthole
02-27-2014, 04:02 PM
What am I, your travel agent?

BKB

BarryBobPosthole
02-27-2014, 04:05 PM
https://www.lumiereplace.com/st-louis-hotels/hotel-specials-and-packages/99-rate/

On the Lumiere website it says the baseball packages are coming soon. You might be able to call and get them to quote you one.
BKB

Thumper
02-27-2014, 04:11 PM
In the ol' truck driving days, I was sent to pick up a load of beer in St. Louis. The Budweiser plant was right under the arch. What a jerk-off rent-a-cop they had at the gate. He inspected my trailer and told me I had to sweep it out (I'd ALREADY swept it). I swept it again and it wasn't good enough for him. He made me sweep that frigging trailer 3 times (on top of my original sweeping), then acted like he was doing me a favor by "letting" me pass his inspection. Then, he climbed in the trailer and told me to close the doors (sunny day). He came back out and said my trailer failed inspection because it had a leak! Huh? I climbed in and he showed me a frigging PIN-HOLE sized beam of sunlight entering the trailer by one of the o/s clearance lights! He told me I'd have to leave and get another trailer! (Where? The frigging home office in Omaha???) I climbed back in with a pallet and a roll of duct tape, leaned the pallet against the wall, climbed up and put a small piece of duct tape over the "hole". (If I'd have had any gum in my mouth, I'd have used that!) He reinspected the trailer and "allowed" me to pick up a load of frigging beer!

Every time I see that arch now, I think of that smart-assed sob. :angry1

Chicken Dinner
02-27-2014, 05:03 PM
Priceline has some 3-4 star downtown for a little over $100/night.

Buckrub
02-27-2014, 06:35 PM
Well, gotta stay somewhere!!! Got tickets to see Jeter and the Evil Empire Wed night 05/28, and the Giants on 05/28 and 05/29. Very very odd, but found tickets on Stubhub lots cheaper than through Cardinals for same seats...........plus of course, stubhub has more availability. Two nights in the Redbird Club, for about $55.00 a ticket. It's what Mama wants to do for 44th anniversary. By then, they'll start their May/June Swoon and need my help.

Lumiere is about 8 blocks away and about $155 a night plus......I can beat that at the Drury, 1 block........or stay "out" a long way for lots less, and drive in. Still haven't decided on hotel.

Captain
02-27-2014, 06:44 PM
Well, gotta stay somewhere!!! Got tickets to see Jeter and the Evil Empire Wed night 05/28, and the Giants on 05/28 and 05/29. Very very odd, but found tickets on Stubhub lots cheaper than through Cardinals for same seats...........plus of course, stubhub has more availability. Two nights in the Redbird Club, for about $55.00 a ticket. It's what Mama wants to do for 44th anniversary. By then, they'll start their May/June Swoon and need my help. Lumiere is about 8 blocks away and about $155 a night plus......I can beat that at the Drury, 1 block........or stay "out" a long way for lots less, and drive in. Still haven't decided on hotel.

Find a camp ground and set up your camper? I thought that is what it was for??? Now you hotel-in' it????

Buckrub
02-27-2014, 07:03 PM
Still looking at that.

Closest one I can find is 50 miles that has full hookups.

Getting REAL disappointed in number and quality of campsites outside the south...........

Buckrub
02-27-2014, 07:42 PM
I just searched for a half hour for camper sites in reasonable distance from Busch Stadium...........and there are none, or at least none that I'd stay in.......and there might be two or so private ones......at $55.00 a night!! Absurd.

I pay about $9.00 a night here in Arkansas to stay at very nice, tree lined COE campgrounds, or a bit more at nice state parks.........but outside this state, and maybe MS, AL, GA, and TN??? Not much of anything. It amazes me, and ticks me off.............

Captain
02-27-2014, 09:51 PM
I'm not sure that any private campground could cover cost much less make a profit at what you consider a reasonable fee...

Buckrub
02-27-2014, 10:42 PM
Corps of Engineers, and most State Parks seem to think they can. At least in about 6 southern states..............

Captain
02-27-2014, 11:31 PM
Sure built with tax dollars and no land cost and no taxes to be paid. I'd like that deal. Private means they paid for the land and pay COMMERCIAL taxes, and permits, have to pay for grading of sites, plowing in electrical lines and services, water lines and disturbs, sewer pipe lines, probably have to build a building or two with showers and such for the unimproved site renters. Not to mention upkeep and fixtures at each site and bath houses, trash service, pay salaries for employees.....
If you built and ran one you would charge a 1000 bucks a night and complain how you were going broke... ;-)

Buckrub
02-28-2014, 12:12 AM
Geez.

Well, ok. I'll try to not build one, I guess.

I was just glad to see the Corps of engineers do something worthwhile for once......

So, should I not stay at those?? Or maybe just not say anything about such things.........

Captain
02-28-2014, 07:54 AM
Nope stay at everyone of them and enjoy what all our tax dollars have done. Glad they are there and glad folks use em' but quit your bitchin' about the Mom and Pop's campgrounds. Them folks are trying to make a honest living too. The time to find out what average camp ground fees are was before the purchase.

Buckrub
02-28-2014, 11:29 AM
I've erased most of my replies. I think it's the 'honest living' that is up for discussion.