PDA

View Full Version : Grumble grumble

BarryBobPosthole
02-27-2014, 11:34 AM
This guy gets my friggin goat. First off, he's full of shit. America has led the world, at least the world of major economies, in GDP growth the past several years. We haven't lost the 'great global economic competition' not by a mile. Secondly, he says we need to retool our labor force. that friggin adage went out of style in the 80's asshole. Let me ask you this, how much more skilled were the laborers in china and Mexico that you offshored Snapon work to? so 'upskilling' (not a word) is the answer to this? I got an answer. FUCK YOU.

I either need more coffee or I've had too much.

Oh, and here's a graphic that's interesting for a bunch of losers in the great economic competition.

BKB

The middle class is under pressure; unemployment remains stubbornly high. There are many reasons, but first among them is that we're losing in the great global economic competition of today. It's a conflict in which we cannot afford to continue failing and the up-skilling of the American workforce is the key to turning the tide.

Despite the troubling trajectory, America is still exceptional. I travel across the globe and can attest that our country is still the best in the world — we have more comfort, greater mobility and a wider range of opportunity than any society in the history of the planet.

How did we get there? We had great leaders — brilliant people like Washington, Lincoln, Edison and Ford. But, that's not all. If you examine history, you'll find our success did reflect the brilliance of a few, but it was also authored by the efforts of the many.

Take Henry Ford. He had a brilliant idea. But he couldn't make it work without others to amplify his thoughts. He chose the greatest commercial amplifier of the day, the American workforce, singularly energetic and dedicated. The result was our auto industry which enabled millions to build lives of prosperity, dignity and pride. Other ideas and other workforces came together across our Nation and built the powerful American middle class.

Today, we're being challenged. We hear about the endangered middle, that the American dream is withering. No wonder! Ongoing prosperity depends on winning the global competition to become the amplifier for the ideas of today. In this conflict, pure energy and dedication are no longer enough. The remedy is an up-skilling of the American workforce ... more career and technical education ... more skills training. We need to recreate an American middle differentiated from others around the world, that will restore our nation as the place to invest, and that will re-boost our country's job engine.

To achieve this renaissance, industry, education and government must join in broadening support for technical education and in setting standards so that students learn the skills that get them jobs. But, most importantly, we must reverse the dismissive posture toward technical careers. Rather than view such occupations as a consolation prize, we need to recognize them for the essential role they must play in engaging our nation's primary economic strength ... our broad middle class. We must restore our respect for the dignity of work.

Skilled workforce training and the associated expansion of jobs must become a national priority, and skilled careers must be raised to a national calling in America's path forward.

We need to celebrate, not just achievements in sports or academic pursuits, but the energy, dedication and skills required of today's technical careers. We need to generate excitement so that our young pursue these careers with pride and are admired for the essential role they will play in any possible path to ongoing American prosperity. To re-energize our middle class, we must act as if it were truly important.

Nicholas T. Pinchuk is chairman and CEO of Snap-on Inc.

Buckrub
02-27-2014, 11:41 AM
I didn't know we were in a competition.

I am not as sure that the cost of living is going up, as much as I am that the cost of living it up has gone up.

BarryBobPosthole
02-27-2014, 11:46 AM
Well put.

It just angers me that this assclown puts the reason for our economic issues on the skills of the American worker. That couldn't be further from the truth. Its an excuse for his offshoring is all it is.

BKB

Buckrub
02-27-2014, 11:52 AM
Um, last I heard........the "American Worker" didn't acquire skills on Saturdays in his part time, off-time. He got those skills (I said skills, not education) AFTER he was employed.

NOW whose fault is it?

Buckrub
02-27-2014, 11:53 AM
Did you know you can 'change the channel'??? I don't read idiots anymore. I take medicine for high BP too (and it works). So I CHOOSE not to read crazy garbage. I never read anything by Paul Krugman, for example. :)

See what I'm saying here???

BarryBobPosthole
02-27-2014, 12:00 PM
I do. It just irks me that we get so continuously bombarded with how terrible things are in America and a bunch of it solely for the purpose of convincing people that there's only one thing to do about it and that's buy their particular brand of bullshit. And even more irksome is the fact that its so easy to see right through but many don't ever take the time to try to.

We need leaders. and fast!

BKB

Buckrub
02-27-2014, 12:04 PM
Best of luck in your search for those, sir. Fully one half of "us" will vehemently disagree with one should he appear, I assure you.

BarryBobPosthole
02-27-2014, 12:06 PM
I think the right guy in the White House could remedy a lot of that. Of course, I don't see any right guys around anywhere, except for maybe Coburn. but even he is too polarizing to really get stuff done. He's pretty hard headed.

BKB

Buckrub
02-27-2014, 12:14 PM
Barry..........this is a calm, honest statement here. Seriously....

I try to stop worrying about getting the right guy, because it upsets me so much. I agree with you, but I almost guarantee that if a person met my requirements and was a great leader, he'd fall far short of meeting your requirements. I think 'we' are all that polarized. I am not sure how much you peruse the other internet chat sites, etc......but man, there are some angry, angry, white men out there right now. Normal, blue collar, honest, working folks. Not fringe nuts. Plain old people. And although you'll chastise me for it, there are some angry, angry black folks out there right now. And guess what? There are some angry, angry Hispanics out there right now.

I fear for things. To wish for a Savior, a coalescing force, is beyond any honest reality I can conjure up.

BarryBobPosthole
02-27-2014, 12:35 PM
But don't you think part of the reason that they are angry is the prevalence of negativity in almost everything we see, read, and hear? and I'm not advocating that all the news be rosy because I know it isn't. But when I compare what I experience in real life America, and I travel a bit too and have seen a bit of the world, the difference in what is talked about by these people and what I see in real life is night and day. The reason is that they have an agenda by creating fear and anger. Its a business. Even your vaunted FoxNews. Even CNN. All of them.

Did you see the stuff about Carlos Martinez on ESPN that was published by Deadspin? Do you think that's an accurate picture of the guy? We have no way of knowing. but by stirring up shit, they've made money off of him. All be just creating a perception. A small example, but I think you see the point.

BKB

Buckrub
02-27-2014, 12:40 PM
Absolutely!!!

But...........you read the news vociferously. I am not the 'head in the sand' that y'all think I am, but I very deliberately avoid most national daily news. Yes, I know who won elections, and if an earthquake hit Omaha, etc........ But to just be in a habit of daily watching all news? No. None.

I have a bad heart. Both ways.

I can't deal with it.

P.S.
Yell at my wife. She watches Fox News. It's on 'our' TV, yes. But I don't care for any bias in my news, and they have it. They are NOT as bad (regardless of what you say) as all the others...........that is, they are not as far right as ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN are far left.......their bias is shockingly obvious in all things. (I don't mean entertainment shows like O'Reilly or Matthews, I mean news)....

BarryBobPosthole
02-27-2014, 12:42 PM
Yeah, I need to cut back on it too. either that of coffee. Or maybe more coffee. I'm not sure.

BKB

BarryBobPosthole
02-27-2014, 12:45 PM
And speaking of earthquakes, we're quakin' in our boots here in Oklahoma. But there's no scientific 'proof' that they're caused by fracking. NosirreeBob. They may have started when the fracking started but there's no proof they're actually CAUSED by it you see.

Maybe we could get in the paint bidness here. That stuff need shook up a lot don't it?

BKB

The U.S. Geological Survey reported four earthquakes in Oklahoma during the past 24 hours.

Earlier today, a 3.7 magnitude earthquake was recorded 4:14 a.m. about 14 miles south-southwest of McCord, which is in Noble County.

On Wednesday, Oklahoma had three earthquakes: a 3.3 magnitude 6:19 p.m. about 15 miles south of McCord; a 3.2 magnitude 1:44 p.m. about 14 miles north-northeast of Enid in Garfield County; and a 3.4 magnitude at 1:30 p.m. about 12 miles south of Medford in Grant County.

During the past 7 days, Oklahoma has recorded 26 earthquakes, according to the USGS. Thursday's earthquake was the largest recorded during that period.

Buckrub
02-27-2014, 12:47 PM
I get a lot of news right here.

I get most of the far, FAR right stuff on another site.

I get the left because the only online e-mags I read are Left..........

But I read the headlines.......and only click "next" if it really interests me. I don't just go looking for everything that I haven't read before. I would never have read your guy above. Sure, I read the guys that I agree with.......Thomas Sowell and Charles Krauthammer, the two smartest men in America.......and no, I do NOT read Paul Krugman.......but yes, I have tried to.......(dang it, I still do try on occasion, ok?).....but I can't get past two paragraphs usually. It isn't that I disagree so much, I knew I would before I started reading......it's that I can't follow folks like Krugman. I am lost. It's chaotic writing. Makes NO sense to me. I just shake my head and go read the comics.

I subscribe to two newspapers........both are available online ONLY if you are a paid subscriber to the hard print. But I'm dropping one. The other one has 5 sections daily. I have not read the front page of either one, with a rare exception, in 10 years. I read, in order, the Sports, the Editorials, the Funnies, and that's it.

call me any name you'd like.

Buckrub
02-27-2014, 12:48 PM
I have 3.7's going off all the time in Guy and other spots not 15 miles north of me. I'm on the western edge of the New Madrid Fault.

Yawn.

BarryBobPosthole
02-27-2014, 01:02 PM
The New Madrid has been active lately too, although I think its a little far away to be caused by what's causing ours. Maybe. I dunno.

I read the local Tulsa paper mainly to keep up with what's going on in our state legislature. They're mostly a benign set of village idiots but once in a while they do something of merit. Like yesterday. They had an identical bill to Arizona's (the anti gay one) and when they saw how businesses started running like hell from doing business in Arizona if they passed it, they quietly shelved it. Some of it is humorous. Like the state senator a couple days ago that said we need a state sovereignty law here in case we 'started forcing people to have abortions and putting people to death like they do up in Canada with their socialized medicine'. Now you can't make stuff like that up. and its actually funnier than what's in the funny papers now that The Far Side and Calvin and Hobbes isn't in there any more.

BKB

Buckrub
02-27-2014, 01:04 PM
I read the Editorials for that..............

BarryBobPosthole
02-27-2014, 01:04 PM
haha, I read the guest columnists but I can't read the letter to the editor. Makes me cry. and worry.

BKB

Buckrub
02-27-2014, 01:16 PM
Makes me laugh out loud.

See how different we are?

:)

Penguin
02-27-2014, 02:27 PM
The middle class is under pressure; unemployment remains stubbornly high. There are many reasons, but first among them is that we're losing in the great global economic competition of today. It's a conflict in which we cannot afford to continue failing and the up-skilling of the American workforce is the key to turning the tide.

...The remedy is an up-skilling of the American workforce ... more career and technical education ... more skills training. We need to recreate an American middle differentiated from others around the world, that will restore our nation as the place to invest, and that will re-boost our country's job engine.

Yeah, we need smarter workers... or something.

Anymore I can almost see the eyes rolling when I post on things like this at some of the econ blogs I follow and comment on. Mostly those rolling eyeballs come from the right and the left. I have made no secret that I honestly believe that neither of the fringes can see what is really going on.

The simple fact is this: We aren't losing.

What you see happening around you is the way things were supposed to turn out. This is globalization at work. This is what they wanted. A massive race to the bottom.

Did anyone truly believe that taking away pricing power from US labor was going to increase the standard of living for US labor? Did anyone truly believe that undoing the regulatory safeguards we put in place after the Great Depression would prevent another Great Depression? Did anyone truly believe that the "Service Economy" was a viable concept because the rest of the world is too incompetent to manage their own industries and would sit back and let the US skim their profits? And on and on and on....

Come on! These are the good times so sit back and let 'em roll. :)

Will

Buckrub
02-27-2014, 02:51 PM
I be tryin'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BarryBobPosthole
02-27-2014, 02:56 PM
Globalization is inevitable and realistic. Competing head to head with 'developing' economies who are really governments that have cheap virtually unlimited resources is not. We need to establish protections so that American workers can compete because companies will sell their soul, American worker be damned, to get another dollar on the stock price and then go wave the made-in-China American flag at the 4th of July parade.

BKB

Penguin
02-28-2014, 10:41 AM
I'll agree that in the age of cheap energy it was inevitable that we would get around to shipping products around the globe. It is natural I guess.

But this whole thing has been managed in such a way as to inflict as much pain as possible on people in this nation who actually produce goods. For anything resembling fair trade you have to agree on rules ahead of time and then stick to them. Be it environmental or labor standards, intellectual property rights, monetary policy, what have you that relates to trade, it must be done in a straightforward way. And this wasn't.

Think even about monetary policy. Remember all of those clueless politicians who used to yak about a "strong dollar"? This is a codeword for letting other nations know that we would allow currency pegs and chronic trade deficits to continue. Both of which were lethal to US heavy industry. This shortcircuits the biggest feedback to control trade deficits. How can you sabotage international trade in this way and call it free trade? My god, Triffin worked this stuff out 50 years ago! He warned us then of the consequences of having on currency used as the world's reserve.

The first thing we gotta do is disband the economics profession. Combine them with Political Science (where they belong) and then ignore them. They endorsed this mess from top to bottom and should be relegated to the bin that holds other cranks and political hacks.

Will

LJ3
02-28-2014, 10:53 AM
Appease my feeble grasp here of what you've mentioned a couple times. Are you an advocate of getting the politically or economically motived "economists" relegated to the bin where they can talk about, but not affect economic policy in a significant way?

Then make economic management and issues of the day more of a hard science of making data driven policy and decisions that have no political or other egotistical considerations?

It makes sense to me! But I'm probably not understanding correctly :)

BarryBobPosthole
02-28-2014, 10:55 AM
Cheap energy and ubiquitous access to telecom infrastructure both make it possible to do a lot of things. Trade should be as free and equitable as possible. But that's what tariffs are for. I think we're saying the same thing. Somehow, we let people convince us that doing things more cheaply makes it better for everyone. That's because the lower income workers will still just buy a $99 Chinese TV regardless of if it took the ransoming of their earning opportunity to make it possible. Its a fucked up deal.

BKB

Penguin
02-28-2014, 11:07 AM
Sure.

I mean take a look at how the economics profession works. Look at some of the most complete and disastrous policies we have come up with in my lifetime. Find the economists who endorsed these debacles. Now try to find the consequences of not just being wrong but being wrong in the most devastating way imaginable.

There are none.

Phil Gramm has a Ph.D. in economics and sponsored one of the most devastatingly bad pieces of legislation ever made: The Gramm Leach Bliley Act. How many Trillions USD did this little piece of idiocy cost the taxpayer? Ever here the guy even admit that he was wrong? He should have been stripped of his degree and sanctioned by the profession. A guy in my profession would have certainly been dealt with in this manner if he designed such a faulty and costly failure. Lives were ruined and nothing was done about it.

Same for Greenspan. And Krugman. And Rubin. And thousands economists across the political spectrum who have advocated complete and utter failures that have ruined people's lives. Not one finger lifted to bring responsibility to those who are not just wrong but criminally negligent.

And that wouldn't be so bad were it not for the reaction the profession has to those who correctly warn of the dangers of some of this lunacy. Almost to a man they end up being drummed out of positions of power and relegated to backwater colleges. The Economics version of the Eastern Front.

Enough of this. If the economics profession wishes to be coin operated and endorse the preferred positions of multi-nationals and whatnot to the detriment of the US worker then relegate them to a position more in line with that kind of activity, politics. Because that is all that it is at that point.

Will