PDA

View Full Version : Help me out here dufebutts ... (especially you OLD farts!)

Thumper
03-07-2014, 04:44 PM
I picked up an old screwdriver with the batch of old tools I bought today and I'm trying to identify it. There are no markings that I can see, so I don't even know if it's foreign or domestic. It's an old wood-handled screwdriver that has a screw-off end cap in the handle and storage for extra bits inside ... much like the modern plastic jobbies we have today. In fact, it works just like the modern screwdrivers with replaceable bits ... the head loosens to accept a new bit, then you tighten it down to hold the bit in place. I'm guessing it may be pre-30's ONLY because there is no Phillips bit in the set. (the Phillips screw was invented around 1930) BUT ... that doesn't mean that it may have had a Phillips bit that was lost through the years. Who knows? Can anybody here ID this thing? It "may" have been included in a tool kit with a car years ago for all I know. What do you think is the best description to use to research it? At any rate, I think it's super cool ... I'd just like to know more about it ... especially if I try to sell it.

2693 2694

2695 2696

LJ3
03-07-2014, 05:04 PM
You're welcome

http://bit.ly/MUOAdY

Thumper
03-07-2014, 06:10 PM
Ya' dang Virginia dufus ... I KNOW it's a screwdriver ... I'm trying to find a brand name and age. I've found similar units, but haven't stumbled on an exact match yet.

I've found one on eBay that's VERY similar, but it's obvious the seller doesn't know any more about his than I do mine. He has it advertised as a "rare antique screwdriver". Duh!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Antique-Screwdriver-Multi-Tool-8-Bit-Vintage-Wood-Handle-Tool-Old-/390787941978

airbud7
03-07-2014, 07:17 PM
Ya' dang Virginia dufus ... I KNOW it's a screwdriver ...

Thump!...That aint no Screwdriver...This is...

:thumbsup

BaseballCoach (Rev A)
03-07-2014, 11:21 PM
I'm thinking it's an upholstery tool. Got a tack/nail puller and a couple of them look to be made for tucking the padding and such.

Thumper
03-08-2014, 07:37 AM
Good point Coach. I thought it was odd having those tips included, but just figured it was a "period" type thing. I was wondering if it originally came in a tool kit supplied with a certain car (to perform multiple do-it-yourself type repairs) since this guy was an avid antique car collector. But it may simply be something found in every hardware store during that time period. I've found 3-4 on the net so far but they're not bringing much $$$. What bugs me is ALL are described simply as "old" or "antique" screwdriver. Nobody has ever mentioned a manufacturer or any other specifics. I may just join the ranks and list my "antique screwdriver" (multi-tool?) for $15.