PDA

View Full Version : Must-do in Seattle area

Bwana
03-10-2014, 11:36 PM
Have a conference in Seattle the first week in June and will be bringing my wife along with as neither of us have ever been there. Our free time is going to pretty limited except for Friday and Saturday. As of now we plan to hit Pike Place Market, Space Needle, etc on one day and are considering a whale watching tour and hiking on the other but if we could find a reasonably priced place to do some salmon fishing then the whale will have to wait.

Only a couple of nights free as well but if anyone has a list of good eating places, I am all ears. Think seafood, not fish. Not opposed to a good drink either.

What say you?

Thumper
03-10-2014, 11:49 PM
... are considering a whale watching tour and hiking on the other but if we could find a reasonably priced place to do some salmon fishing then the whale will have to wait.

Kill two birds with one stone ... go whale fishing! :D

Trav
03-11-2014, 08:42 AM
Bwanna, I will be there for a conference June 2-4 then staying a few days extra and Hombre and I are going Salmon fishing. I am flying in on 6/1 so if you have some time would like to have dinner or a cocktail.

Bwana
03-11-2014, 02:29 PM
Well what do you know??

We too are flying in on June 1 but don't get in until after 10 PM. Have to see what works out as far as schedules but it would be cool to meet up with another GH member.

Penguin
03-11-2014, 02:58 PM
Know nothing about Seattle but if I ever go I am stopping in at the Filson factory/shop. :)

Will

Bwana
03-11-2014, 04:32 PM
Discount wool garments?

Penguin
03-11-2014, 04:47 PM
Yep. My wife would probably hit me over the head with a rolling pin if I bought even more Filson wool but it might well be worth it. :)

Will

Bwana
03-11-2014, 05:28 PM
So what is your favorite Filson item?

Buckrub
03-11-2014, 06:31 PM
When i was there, I just drove around. I enjoyed that more than anything else. Went up to Snoqualimie Pass, or however it's spelled....... went around a barricade, and drove up a dirt road for miles, got out and sat on a rock next to a stream and just looked at the trees big as some eastern states.

Then I drove north, up to Bellingham. Decided not to go into Vancouver........and now you need a passport, I guess. But that was nice, and now I can say I saw some of the state, and not just the downtown stuff. I saw the space needle, and all that, too.......and the Kingdome before they blew it up. But the driving around was neater. Seeing the Lake Whateveritisnamed and the houses, and types of construction, etc.

Be warned.........they are heathens AND they dress funny AND they drink crazy stuff.

Hombre
03-12-2014, 10:56 AM
Eat Steakhouse: Metropolitan Grill (Close to Pike Place Market)
Daniel's Broiler (Bellevue)
John Howie's (Bellevue)

To Do: All you mentioned are good
Underground city tour (1.5 hours)
Hiking outside of Seattle (Snoqualmie or North Bend)
Snoqualmie falls
Day trip (ferry) San Juan's

I'm in Snoqualmie and work in Redmond so I can make it in one night if you want to meet up.

Thumper
03-12-2014, 03:27 PM
My dad lived in Seattle (Mercer Island actually) for many years and I've been there quite a few times. (my Step-mom is still there) A couple of close friends of mine moved up there many years ago (to go to work for my dad) and still live there. One of them was down here a few weeks ago for the Daytona 500 and we hung out together. I actually planned on moving up there at one time and was looking for property, to build a house, around the Snoqualmie Falls area.

But ya' know what? I have no clue where to tell you to go! Of course you have to see the "needle" just so you can say, "Been there, done that".