PDA

View Full Version : The results are in...

Captain
03-13-2014, 03:19 PM
Crappie throughly SPANKED with what little time I had.

Got up this morning and took Dad to Florence SC on business.
Got back and was able to fish about 2 and a half hours. Caught close to 50. I had 25 or 26 in the cooler and started having to throw them back cause I could not get any ice in the cooler.... Note to self, take bigger cooler
Would have fished a little more but I NEEDED to get some ice on the fish. Started home and bought a bag of ice and gave a feller at the station 5 or 6 fish so there would be room in the cooler for some ice.
Caught a lot of slabs. Some of them 15 inches long!
They are up in shallow water under overhanging limbs at this one lake I lease. There must be in there by the thousands.
I can see where crappie fishing could be addictive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

jb
03-13-2014, 03:30 PM
That's a mess of good eating right there.

Thumper
03-13-2014, 03:34 PM
Word is, there's a fishing forum around here someplace. :lmao

Nice slabs ya' gots there!

Chicken Dinner
03-13-2014, 03:37 PM
Man, you wouldn't have needed any ice up here in VA today! Nice fish, BTW.

Cards01
03-13-2014, 05:15 PM
now that right there is the way to slay em

Big Skyz
03-13-2014, 05:23 PM
A big thumbs up!!!

airbud7
03-13-2014, 05:39 PM
Something told me you were gonna have a good day Captain...Nice catch!!!

btw..I have an aunt that lives in Conway...(not to far away)

Captain
03-13-2014, 05:43 PM
Something told me you were gonna have a good day Captain...Nice catch!!! btw..I have an aunt that lives in Conway...(not to far away)

I've got several good friends that live in Conway, Johnson and Clardy are their last names. I was not too far from there early this morning.

Arty
03-13-2014, 06:05 PM
Dang man. Just dang.

Thumper
03-13-2014, 06:45 PM
Airbud ... when it comes to the Captain, ya' have to remember he's a fisherman (and you know how THEY can stretch the truth) ... but when he starts a post with "I've got several good friends ... ", ......... you KNOW he's lying! :poke

airbud7
03-13-2014, 07:11 PM
Yea Thump^...That tape measure looks funky???...

Captain
03-13-2014, 07:17 PM
Bite me bof' ya
Several of those Crappie were big as NICE bass! My buddy just came and picked them up and could not believe the size.
Gonna try again tomorrow, but we got a bad cold front coming in tonight. Suppose to be in the mid 20's so they may shut down.
And I gots LOTS of good friends :D

Thumper
03-13-2014, 07:18 PM
Airbud, if you look REALLY closely, you'll see that tape measure's in centimeters.

(he has to buy metric condoms also) :D

Big Muddy
03-13-2014, 07:18 PM
Nice ones, Cap....hate to tell ya, but you are now hooked on crappie fishing....fun, ain't it?? ;)

Captain
03-13-2014, 07:19 PM
If you look REALLY closely, you'll see it's in centimeters. ;)

Wrong!
Where's the fishing forum. Maybe I can get a little respect over there!

Buckrub
03-13-2014, 07:24 PM
Crappie.com guys all lay their fish on the tailgate to take pictures. Now you.

I never thought of doing this.......and can't see why I would. I leave fish in water till right before they're cleaned. I guess if it's not real hot, it's fine......just never thought of doing it. Now everyone is. Is there a memo I didn't get?

Thumper
03-13-2014, 07:25 PM
Fishing forum??? Huh? Whatchutalkinbout Willis? :confused:

Captain
03-13-2014, 07:26 PM
Nice ones, Cap....hate to tell ya, but you are now hooked on crappie fishing....fun, ain't it?? ;)

Man yea! When you starting pulling in Slabs like those and catching then that fast it's impossible NOT to get hooked!

Thumper
03-13-2014, 07:26 PM
Crappie.com guys all lay their fish on the tailgate to take pictures. Now you.

I never thought of doing this.......and can't see why I would. I leave fish in water till right before they're cleaned. I guess if it's not real hot, it's fine......just never thought of doing it. Now everyone is. Is there a memo I didn't get?

I always wondered why Chevies always smell like .... well ... you know. ;)

Captain
03-13-2014, 07:32 PM
Crappie.com guys all lay their fish on the tailgate to take pictures. Now you. I never thought of doing this.......and can't see why I would. I leave fish in water till right before they're cleaned. I guess if it's not real hot, it's fine......just never thought of doing it. Now everyone is. Is there a memo I didn't get?

Just seemed a natural place to lay em'? They were in the cooler in the back of the truck and I put the tailgate down to unload the cooler cause it was so heavy (with fish :D) you could not lift it over the side and it don't take a brain surgeon to see that's a good place to put them. I just took them out of the cooler long enough to take a picture and then back on ice till my buddy came and got em. He cleans and eats them. I just catch release them, or keep and transport them for folks that wants em.

Buckrub
03-13-2014, 07:41 PM
Uh........a man that doesn't eat crappie, has no taste buds. Or no memory. Or both.

Thumper
03-13-2014, 07:45 PM
Do you think he'd actually COOK them? ;)

Buckrub
03-13-2014, 07:47 PM
Well, he sure does know how to fix fish cookers. If he doesn't know, I'd say it's pure dee laziness, or selfishness by making that cutey do it, or possibly insanity. He hasn't exhibited insanity traits when I was around him. So...................................

Cooking fish ain't exactly this really hard process!!!!

Thumper
03-13-2014, 07:54 PM
You want to see insanity? Fill 'im full'o wilderberry juice! ;)

Buckrub
03-13-2014, 07:58 PM
I plan to.

Mid May.

Captain
03-13-2014, 08:30 PM
If I want to eat fish I'll go to Saltwater Cowboys in St. Augustine and order them.
Me cook fish. HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAA

Buckrub
03-13-2014, 08:38 PM
They can't sell crappie, man.

Your loss.

Captain
03-13-2014, 08:39 PM
Had em plenty of times and they are OK as far as fresh water fish go. Be glad to eat them again if I'm around where they are being cooked.
Other than that I will just keep catching.

Thumper
03-13-2014, 08:43 PM
If I want to eat fish I'll go to Saltwater Cowboys in St. Augustine and order them.
Me cook fish. HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAA

Saltwater Cowboys? Hmmm, why does that sound familiar? Haven't we been thrown out'ta there before? ;)

Captain
03-13-2014, 09:11 PM
Saltwater Cowboys? Hmmm, why does that sound familiar? Haven't we been thrown out'ta there before? ;)
We did more years ago than I care to admit too! But we slipped back in there the other week and outside the waitress hitting on US we did fine. Thought Hammerhead and his buddy was gonna get tossed but we made it this time.
Maybe it's because we left before they closed down this time.

Thumper
03-13-2014, 09:17 PM
I THOUGHT those boys were gonna give us a bit of competition ... but it was lights-out a little on the early side once the going got tough. Dang amateur youngin's! :D

That waitress was kinda hot ... I think she wanted me! :biggrin

Captain
03-13-2014, 09:22 PM
I THOUGHT those boys were gonna give us a bit of competition ... but it was lights-out a bit on the early side once the going got tough. Dang amateur youngin's! :D That waitress was kinda hot ... I think she wanted me! :biggrin

Yep them youngins could not hang that's for sure
The waitress thought you reminded her of her grandfather. She wanted ME!

Niner
03-14-2014, 07:04 AM
Danged nice mess of fish there, buddy.
Is that the place where we could not buy a bite back in October?

Did ya get those on Obama or Deere??

Thumper
03-14-2014, 07:32 AM
The waitress thought you reminded her of her grandfather. She wanted ME!

Ha! It was OBVIOUS she wanted ME! She thought YOU reminded her of her neighbor's Chinese Crested!

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/entertainment/cms/binary/9232488.jpg?size=620x400s

Captain
03-14-2014, 07:53 AM
Niner I caught them on both and a couple of others. One called tequila sunrise too! They were just "on" and seemed that color was not that important.
On my way back to the farm and once I get the cows fed I'm gonna head back. However it's 25 degrees right now. Not sure I'm gonna get the same results.

Captain
03-14-2014, 07:54 AM
Oh and Bite me Thumper...

Chicken Dinner
03-14-2014, 08:08 AM
I'm with Larke when it comes to fish in that I prefer saltwater fish for the table. Unless I'm camping or something, my freshwater fishing is almost all catch and release.

Buckrub
03-14-2014, 08:52 AM
Ed, what can we do with these folks? Clearly, when you move East or North, you lose your palate.

Chicken Dinner
03-14-2014, 09:19 AM
No, I just like fish that tastes like something other than batter it's dipped in and the oil its fried in...

Thumper
03-14-2014, 10:35 AM
What's wrong with batter and grease? Man-o-man, you ain't even CLOSE to Southern! ;)

Chicken Dinner
03-14-2014, 08:22 PM
There's nothing at all wrong with batter and grease. I just like the fish to have some flavor on its own. If it makes me anymore Southern, I had crispy fried catfish for dinner tonight. (Of course, it was smothered in a spicey Thai red curry sauce with these cute little green peppers..,)

Thumper
03-14-2014, 11:10 PM
Well, what a coinky-dink. I just finished supper a couple hours ago. Lynn made fresh (caught this morning) Thai style talapia for me ... I had the chili sauce on the side. I'm not much of a fish eater ... but if it has ANYTHING to do with Thailand ... I'll eat it! Makes me feel like I'm "home".

The way she fries it, the meat is soft but the skin is crispy and is eaten as well. (notice: NO breading!) ;)

Captain
03-15-2014, 06:58 AM
Did you know Talapia is a bottom feeding fish like a carp and was considered a trash fish up to just a few years ago. You can grow them in a cesspool (really) and mostly they are grass eaters. They were popular in golf course ponds. Because they are easy to "farm" raise and will raise in about any kind of nasty water, and the unique name they started to gain popularity. They were originally raise for pet food, and keeping moss/grass out of golf course ponds. I personally cannot stand them. Every time I see a restaurant bragging on having "fresh" Talapia I always think that sure ain't nothing to brag about!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/02/science/earth/02tilapia.html?_r=0

Thumper
03-15-2014, 07:44 AM
Yeppers, I know that. Not much different than catfish I suppose. Heck, Foo's "part Korean" and eats carp! ;)

We have a large fish market in town where the local fishermen are usually lined up in the back unloading their daily catches. Everything there is right off the boat. A load of talapia was being unloaded and she grabbed one. I look at 'em as large perch ... Nile Perch! ;)

Heck, if I worried about what critters eat, I prolly wouldn't eat pork! BTW, on a similar note to your story .... did you know lobster used to be a "trash fish" and only fed to convicts or the poor?

Prior to the mid-nineteenth century, lobster was considered a mark of poverty or as a food for indentured servants or lower members of society and servants even specified in employment agreements that they would not eat lobster more than twice per week. Lobster was also commonly served in prisons, much to the displeasure of inmates. American lobster was initially deemed worthy only of being used as fertilizer or fish bait. :D

Captain
03-15-2014, 06:00 PM
Yeppers, I know that. Not much different than catfish I suppose.

Nope, Catfish Is Prime rib compared to Talapia... You can compare them Carp and be a LOT closer. They have no taste other than what you put on them and are really not healthy.

Buckrub
03-15-2014, 06:38 PM
Y'all know what Talapia eat???? :biggrin

Captain
03-15-2014, 07:56 PM
They will eat about anything but Algae, and aquatic grasses and plants are their main source.

" Recent Studies have found that farm-raised Tilapia may cause more inflammation – Farm-raised tilapia has always been a popular source for fish, not only because it is widely available in the US, but it is also very inexpensive. However, before you stock up on Tilapia, you may want to know about its correlation to inflammation. Recent studies have concluded that eating Tilapia may worsen inflammation that can lead to heart disease, arthritis, asthma and a world of other serious health problems. People who resort to eating more fish as a way to get their dose of omega-3-fatty-acids and lessen their risk of heart attacks may want to hold off on the tilapia. In fact, scientists have found that the inflammatory potential of tilapia is far greater than that of a hamburger or pork bacon!"

Thumper
03-15-2014, 08:48 PM
Well, if it REALLY bugs you that much ... refer to my above post:

We have a large fish market in town where the local fishermen are usually lined up in the back unloading their daily catches. Everything there is right off the boat.

I don't think they have ANYTHING "farm raised" there.

Hey, I'm NOT a big fish eater and only eat fish about 3 times a year (not counting shell fish) ... so I'm not too worried about it. ;)

Buckrub
03-15-2014, 10:24 PM
They eat fish doo doo.