PDA

View Full Version : A couple of old pics that I dint think existed.

Arty
03-15-2014, 07:58 AM
My dad found these old pics and scanned them to me last night.
They are taken at my dad's house where we turned his garage into a deer processing shop.
This must be an "opening day" pic. Deer piled up like cord wood.
In The pic of me with that buck - you can see my dad's smoker. It was an old refrigerator that he turned into a really handy and effective smoke box.

They last pic is "my" paycheck. I got paid in hides since I did 95% of all the skinning. I'd throw salt on them, and when we got enough to fill a truck, we'd take them down to the tannery and id get $6 a piece for them. For a 16 year old kid, that was good money! I made 1800-2000$ a season on hides.

*note* I have no idea why I'm wearing my good shoes and probably the only "good pair" of jeans I owned. Musta been an emergency gut/skin job on that buck.

Thumper
03-15-2014, 08:13 AM
Cool pics! Dang! I'd have been in hog-heaven to get a couple grand for a few weeks work at 16 yrs. old. Heck, come to think of it, I'd be happy with that NOW! :D

Arty
03-15-2014, 08:24 AM
Well it was more than a few weeks, but it was good money for me. Trust me, I earned it!

Season ran from 10-1 (Bow) to 12-15 (Muzzleloader).
But of course the bulk if it came the 1st two weeks in November (Firearms)

Thumper
03-15-2014, 08:35 AM
Ha! At 16, I was working at a Cadillac/Pontiac/Buick/GMC dealer picking up/delivering customer's cars for the Service Department ... and I didn't even have a dang driver's license! (just a "learner's permit)

Of course, those were MUCH more laid-back times. If we got stopped as kids drinking while driving, the cops would pour our booze out on the side of the road and tell us to go home! :D

Chicken Dinner
03-15-2014, 12:28 PM
Cool story and pics. Nice deer in that last pic as well.

Bwana
03-15-2014, 06:55 PM
Looks like a busy time.

Captain
03-16-2014, 02:08 PM
Cool pictures.
I bet you got to where you could skin a deer with your eyes closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner