PDA

View Full Version : Progressive, Geico, Nationwide, etc., etc.........

Big Muddy
03-20-2014, 08:45 AM
Any of you guys ever insured your vehicles or boats with any of these folks???

I got an estimate from both Prog. and Geico on my boat, then, I called my local independent agent who carries most of my property insurance, to get an estimate from him.

Both of them blew him outta the water....their rates were nearly 40% less than his.

Any bad or good experiences with any of them???

Chicken Dinner
03-20-2014, 09:03 AM
Nothing but good things to say about Geico here. Both the rates and the claims process were great. I only switched back to USAA as I was getting a slightly better deal.

Captain
03-20-2014, 09:15 AM
I have nothing good or bad to contribute to the question.
But I find it ironic in that the other day I noticed someone had put up a 4X8 foot sign that appeared to be professionally painted near the Mt Crogran crossroads close to the farm that said Progressive Insurance sucks (or something like that) and it also said "Flo Lies".. It made me chuckle.
It was actually framed and had a self standing "stand" so I guess they make it where they could put it in the back of a truck and move it around. I'm headed down there tomorrow if Its still there I'll take a picture of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

LJ3
03-20-2014, 09:21 AM
I used progressive and they had good customer service. LIke Hank I went back to USAA. They're rates and coverage can't be beat and their customer service is globally recognized.

Niner
03-20-2014, 09:40 AM
We HAD GEICO "forever".
Di was with them when we got married. We also went with USAA due to MUCH better rates.
IF you can get on with USAA I'd highly reccommend looking into it.

Thumper
03-20-2014, 10:53 AM
I'm prolly stuck in a time-warp and really haven't looked around much. I've been with Allstate since I got out of the service in 1975. They've always covered my house and cars. I did look at Progressive and Geiko both a few years back (when I was closing my business and wanted to cut back on expenses), but like you Eddie, my existing coverage blew them out of the water and I've never "shopped" again.

Maybe I should give USAA a look-see, but I've always liked the idea of having a local agent so I could walk into his office if I needed to.

Big Muddy
03-20-2014, 10:59 AM
Just a heads up....just got off phone with USAA....I don't know about auto, home, and other ins., but their boat ins. is underwritten by Progressive.

Big Muddy
03-20-2014, 02:37 PM
Hahaha....ins. agents must have a lot of leeway on their ins. quotes....I imagine it has something to do with how much commission they get.

I decided to call my local agent back(he's also a friend), just to pick on him, and tell him how bad he got beat, by Progressive, Geico, and USAA.

About an hour later, he called me back, and not only lowered his quote, but increased my boat coverage....he beat them all, by nearly $100 bucks, so I gave him my business.

And, I agree, Thump....it's nice to be able to actually walk into an agent's office, and talk to them face-to-face.

LJ3
03-20-2014, 03:13 PM
I'm prolly stuck in a time-warp and really haven't looked around much. I've been with Allstate since I got out of the service in 1975. They've always covered my house and cars. I did look at Progressive and Geiko both a few years back (when I was closing my business and wanted to cut back on expenses), but like you Eddie, my existing coverage blew them out of the water and I've never "shopped" again.

Maybe I should give USAA a look-see, but I've always liked the idea of having a local agent so I could walk into his office if I needed to.

Dude, step in to this century. Call USAA. You will NOT be disappointed.

LJ3
03-20-2014, 03:15 PM
Hahaha....ins. agents must have a lot of leeway on their ins. quotes....I imagine it has something to do with how much commission they get.

I decided to call my local agent back(he's also a friend), just to pick on him, and tell him how bad he got beat, by Progressive, Geico, and USAA.

About an hour later, he called me back, and not only lowered his quote, but increased my boat coverage....he beat them all, by nearly $100 bucks.

Glad you got it worked out Eddie. I rank insurance salesmen at the same level as used car dealers. Totally hidden pricing and a business model designed to take as much of your money as possible.

Thumper
03-20-2014, 03:32 PM
Ya' beat me to it LJ ... the F&I (Finance & Insurance) guy in most dealerships make some of the highest pay in the business. It's their job to stick you with the highest interest rate they can (Finance), as well as bust your balls to buy one of those worthless "extended warranties" (Insurance).

Chicken Dinner
03-20-2014, 05:25 PM
I don't walk into a dealership unless I have alternative financing arranged. The last car I bought - new - I got a manufacturer's 0% rate which beat the 2-3% USAA was offering. Since I'd priced the car independently of the financing, I went with the "free" money. (I get that everything is net/net to the dealer.)

The funny thing is the F&I guy asked me how many miles a year I typically put in a car. When I told him 5k, he laughed and said he wouldn't even bothe to try and sell me a warranty. Grand totally, I spent less than an hour in the dealership.

Thumper
03-20-2014, 05:32 PM
Before the F&I guy at my dealer got to know me ... he'd give me the big sales pitch on extended warranties. Every time he started, I'd say something along the lines of, "The main reason I buy a Toyota is so I don't have to worry about needing an extended warranty!" He'd usually shut the "F" up after that. ;)