PDA

View Full Version : Boat License

Sunshine
03-22-2014, 11:08 PM
:)

Big Muddy
03-22-2014, 11:48 PM
Hey, Sunny, I ran across one of your Wash. State boat questions: ;););)

Question 4

A boat is used where?

A) The Turnpike
B) Your front yard for the kids to play on
C) In Water
D) You don't give a shit because you can't afford the gas
E) Both C & D....maybe B

Niner
03-23-2014, 08:09 AM
What the what?????

So, are you now a "ribber boat cap'n"?? Just like Bogart in The African Queen?

But seriously....What's the deal with this licencing?
Are ALL boat operators supposed to get that.....from the guy with a 5hp outboard on his/her jon boat, up to the folks with boats big enough to sleep 12 on?

So, I guess now you know the difference between the port that you drink, the port where you stay, and the port side of the boat?
And I just KNOW they made you learn the difference between bitter coffee and the bitter end??
:biggrin :biggrin

Thumper
03-23-2014, 08:18 AM
Florida law requires that persons born on or after January 1, 1988, complete a NASBLA-approved boater education course prior to operating a vessel powered by a motor of 10 horsepower or more. The law requires that persons affected by this legislation have in their possession a Boating Safety Education I.D. Card issued by the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission and photographic I.D. while operating a vessel.

Back when I bought my first boat (15 years ago?), I found out even though I was not REQUIRED to have one, my insurance would be lower if I did, so I signed up for a course. It's been a while and I don't remember how long the course lasted, but I remember it was long enough the take a lunch break and it pretty much killed a Saturday for me. I scored 100% which I really didn't think was that big of a deal since the test was immediately after the class instruction. What DID surprise me was the fact I was the ONLY person in the class (of about 30 if I remember correctly) who had a perfect score. Some actually FAILED the course and had to reschedule for another class! Others were there after failing the test previously and this was their second (or third) attempt. I will admit, I believe I was the oldest person there and the others seemed to be all "20-somethings", but it made me wonder how many bozos are running around driving boats!

airbud7
03-23-2014, 08:51 AM
Washington Boater Education Card FAQ

Q. Are there exemptions to the boater education requirement?

A. You do not need a Washington Boater Education Card:
1.If you were born before January 1st, 1955.
2.If your watercraft has a motor smaller than 15 horsepower.
3.If you hold a valid U.S. Coast Guard Marine Operator's License.
4.If you are renting a watercraft and have a Commission-approved education checklist.
5.If you are a non-Washington State resident (for the first 60 consecutive days, after which you need a Washington Boater Education Card).
6.For the first 60 days you own a new watercraft (after which you need a Washington Boater Education Card).

Arty
03-24-2014, 11:08 AM
They're doing the same thing in Virginia. Believe this year it's 45 and under...phasing in over the next 3-4 years until everyone has to have them. I got mine last year. Probably the same online course you took - or similar. Mine was free though. I did pay $5 for the hard plastic card versus the paper printed version.