PDA

View Full Version : Hey, Hide, wheat crop info......

Big Muddy
03-24-2014, 11:03 AM
What's the wheat crop look like up your way???.....we're having some very late-season freezing weather, and I got my fingers crossed that it won't reduce our yields too much.

I've already applied all the fertilizer, and waiting for the green-up stage.

Between the late freezes in the U.S. wheat-producing areas and the Ukranian situation, the wheat market has been quite bullish lately.

Thanks for the info.

HideHunter
03-24-2014, 02:01 PM
Not a lot of wheat raised right here. There's only two fields on my regular travel route and the snow just got off it in the past week. No sign of green.

Big Muddy
03-24-2014, 02:19 PM
Thanks Hide.

Any other folks in wheat areas that might have some input?

Bwana
03-24-2014, 02:42 PM
Back in the day, winter wheat was a fairly common crop in my home area but you don't see ANY of it around. There is still some spring wheat put in but barley and durum wheat are way more prevalent.

Captain
03-24-2014, 05:52 PM
" Our" fields (as in local not mine) Most have been wet all winter making disease a real threat. tiller counts are over 50 per sq/ft on early planted wheat but much less on later planted fields. Some later planted fields are still "yellow" I’m afraid some of these will be lost due to continued rains. Many farmers are applying 15 gals/a of 30% N on these fields when they can get into them. Some of these fields will be lucky to produce 60 bushels an acre.
You are probably a few weeks ahead of us, how are your fields looking? Did they tiller well this winter? When do y'all plant down there October????

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Big Muddy
03-24-2014, 06:05 PM
Cap, I usually try to get seed wheat planted by the first week of Oct.....Oct. 10th, this year.

It tillered good, this year, even though I have a couple of low weak spots around the drain pipes.

It has taken a real beating, this year, with both the rain and extremely unseasonable cold temps., this winter.

I'm still hoping for about 80 bu. per acre, especially with the bullish market, right now, but I may be too optimistic.

Btw, I plant my wheat on 38 inch rows....that's not conventional, down here, but it sure has increased my yields, by improving drainage....I believe in that old saying, "Wheat doesn't like, having wet feet."

Captain
03-24-2014, 07:16 PM
Hope the price stays up and you have a bumper year.... :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Buckrub
03-24-2014, 08:14 PM
May harvest of all row crops be blessed, and increase in multitude, forever and ever, amen.

Thumper
03-25-2014, 08:07 AM
Hey! Can't youse guys take this stuff to the "Farming Forum"?

No wait! Nevermind .... ;)