PDA

View Full Version : Hey Teachers!

LJ3
03-24-2014, 02:57 PM
I just wanted you to know that not all parents are uncaring jitbags that rely on you to raise their children :)

"Hi Ms. Staley,

I wanted to take the time to personally thank you for a few things. First and foremost for being such a positive influence in Bailey's life. Your support, guidance and encouragement for Bailey have had a significant impact on her life in ways that truly matter. She realized had an innate ability with a keyboard and camera early on. You've helped her see that she can actually cultivate those abilities in to something meaningful and I'm sure you've seen it grow, as we have at home. It's a wonderful thing to see!

From the beginning of summer Yerd Camp till now I have frequently talked with Bailey about the inner workings of the yearbook and the different tasks and assignments she has going on. Her attitude and ability seem to have improved quite a bit in gaining cooperation and accomplishing things as a team. I can only assume you also played a pivotal role there as I know my advice and guidance can fall short if there's nothing for Bailey to bounce it against for a reality check. In many cases, I'm sure your input meant much more to her and I'm absolutely fine with that!

Finally, as I'm sure you're aware, Bailey was accepted at VCU. Early on she kept saying how much she loved CNU and the small campus feel. The more she researched and really started to think about what she wanted to do, the more she started leaning toward VCU and what they had to offer. After reading your letter of recommendation for Bailey, not only did I swell with great pride for my Daughter, but I realized that I'm sure your letter greatly increased her chances for admission at VCU.

Bailey has tremendous respect for you, as do her Mother and I. I wanted to offer you my sincere and heartfelt thanks for being a great teacher, mentor, coach and positive influence that Bailey will remember the rest of her life.

Thank you very much!

Len & Jennifer Jenkins"

Bwana
03-24-2014, 03:03 PM
Way to go Len!

It is great to see someone actually step up and thank those who are a positive influence on our kids' lives. Too often those folks are taken for granted whether it be a teacher, coach, scout leader, or family friend.

You did good sir, my hat is off to you.

jb
03-24-2014, 03:13 PM
Thanks Len, from all of us educators.

LJ3
03-24-2014, 08:04 PM
Well it's become a veritable hugfest at this point :) The field trip she's referring to was the journalism conference at Columbia University in NYC.

"Mr. Jenkins,

I cannot tell you how touched I was by your kind words – you totally caught me off guard! And ironically, you were on my list of parents to email this week about the NYC field trip we just returned from. Bailey is a great young lady and I cannot tell you enough how proud I was of her during the field trip. She was mature, responsible, and professional. This was my first time taking students on a field trip overnight and I was anxious about the whole thing; but I knew that taking her and the other two senior girls who attended would make it alright. I trusted her to represent herself and the school in a positive light and she did just that! You’ve obviously raised her right! I hope she has shared some of the new photography tricks and design/layout ideas that she picked up at the conference. She attended many different sessions and was eager to share it all with the rest of us. I think she’s planning a photography lesson for my returning staffers before the end of the year. It’s not every day that teachers get to work with students who are passionate about what they do and who WANT to learn new things. So it really makes my job fun and engaging when I get to work with students like Bailey. She’s really done a phenomenal job as the Editor In Chief this year and like you have noticed, I think it’s helped pull her out of her shell a bit when it comes to team projects and leadership. She seems so confident now of her skills and it’s been great to watch her grow in that regard this year!

I’m so excited for her admission to VCU – she’s been talking about it non-stop, and we talked a lot on the field trip about her plans for next year. I was happy to write her a letter of recommendation, and I meant every word of it. I’m glad she shared it with you! This is only my second year as the yearbook adviser, and I have really depended on Bailey and some of the other seniors to figure out some of this on their own. And then they usually turn around and teach me! :) But she really has taken her leadership role and run with it, and it’s made the program stronger. I cannot wait to see their finished product when the books are delivered in May!! But I really don’t know what we’re going to do without her next year…

I also have to thank you for helping with some of our photography needs this year!! I know that Bailey has relied on your expertise to fix pics, troubleshoot camera problems, etc. I really appreciate your willingness to help her with all that.

It’s been a delight to teach Bailey the last three years, and I can’t wait to see what she does next! If she or you all ever need anything, please don’t hesitate to ask! And thanks again for taking the time to send your email earlier – it’s support from parents like yourselves who make it easier to get through the more stressful parts of this job! :)

Have a great evening!

Liz Staley"

Buckrub
03-24-2014, 08:10 PM
Clearly, my influence on her at an early age, and also my brief influence on you at a turning point in your life, is the true reason for greatness here.

This humbles me.

(I'm proud of you both)

Captain
03-24-2014, 08:18 PM
Y'all need to get a room.... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

LJ3
03-24-2014, 10:16 PM
I can't take credit for how Bailey is turning out. The kid has always made good, solid decisions, been mature for her age and cared about helping other people. Not much more a parent could ask for.

Buckrub
03-25-2014, 12:15 AM
I TOLD YA! I imparted greatness to her at an early age, with magic potions of which you had no notice. She knows. She just won't remember (yet).

Signed

Yoda

Big Skyz
03-25-2014, 08:49 AM
Len, can I clone you and have all your clones move out here?

Thumper
03-25-2014, 09:13 AM
Congrats Lenster! And good for you for reaching out and thanking an educator.

A few years ago, I tracked down my favorite teacher of all-time. She was my FIRST grade teacher and when I entered the FOURTH grade, she changed from being a 1st grade teacher to a 4th grade teacher and I had her a second time. Anyway, I actually located her son on the internet (he has the odd first name of "Rez", so it was relatively easy to find him). He told me where she now lives (small town about 20 mi. north of Orlando) and gave me her phone number.

This lady is 88 years old right now and I was in her classes 53-56 years ago, she remembered EVERYTHING about me and knew EXACTLY who I was when I told her my name! I made arrangements to drive over and take her to lunch after she got out of church one Sunday. I had a blast and was totally blown away by her memory. I swear, I think she could recall every dang student she had during her teaching career. She brought up names of students in my classes that even I had forgotten (but remembered after she mentioned them) and she could tell me where many of those people ended up later in life! She just totally blew me away!

She also remembered EVERYTHING she busted me doing as a kid. Like the time she caught me in the back of the class with an ear-phone in my ear and plugged into the new "pocket transistor radio" I got for Christmas. Or the time she caught me under the metal stairs (fire escape) looking up girls dresses as they came down the steps. Or the time she caught me in the girls restroom with the miniature "spy camera" I'd ordered off the back of a cereal box. Then there was the time she busted me kissing Jane Gibbs (the preacher's daughter) under the slide next to the monkey bars on the playground. (weird match-up, Gibbs & Kribbs). :D

Anyway, it was one of the coolest lunches I've had in many years and we had quite a few laughs. We still e-mail each other from time to time.

Captain
03-25-2014, 05:55 PM
I made arrangements to drive over and take her to lunch after she got out of church one Sunday

You should have GONE to Church with her THEN taken her out to eat..... You pUMpHEAD!

Thumper
03-25-2014, 06:02 PM
She's a nice lady. Now why would I want to see her church get struck by lightening? :D

Buckrub
03-25-2014, 07:13 PM
Geez, Thump. WHO woulda struck it with lightning?

Big Muddy
03-25-2014, 08:50 PM
Yep, that's a good and funny story, Thump....if you'd married that girl, she'd be Jane Gibbs Kribbs....sorta like my wife's good friend Maryanne Hinkle who married Barney Winkle....hence, Maryanne Hinkle Winkle. ;)

Thumper
03-25-2014, 09:01 PM
Geez, Thump. WHO woulda struck it with lightning?

Heck, I don't really know for sure Buckster. Zeus maybe? Indra? Thor? Perun? Teshub? Adad? Marduk? Teshub? Jupiter? Summanus? Taranis? Loucetios? Perkūnas? Perėndi? Gebeleizis? Ukko? Horagalles? Dian Mu? Raijin? Tenjin? Thunderbird? Xolotl? Chaac? Apocatequil? Illapa? Cocijo? Aktzin? Heyoka? Set? Shango? Jakuta? Amadioha? Oya? Te Uira? Mamaragan?

Dang! I'm thinkin' here. I know I've left out quite a few ... but you get the idea. 'Course I'm SURE whomever YOU pick is the correct choice and the rest of the world is wrong. At any rate, I don't like lightning ... IF it's directed toward me! :D

Buckrub
03-25-2014, 09:04 PM
Just glad to see that you think lightning might be a choice someone makes, and that you might screw up enough to justify being its target, that's all!!! :)

Thumper
03-25-2014, 09:06 PM
Naaaa, I don't believe it for a minute ... but it makes for a good "tongue in cheek" response. :D

Buckrub
03-25-2014, 09:10 PM
Probably where the lightning would hit ya.........but it'd be hard to miss your nose.

Thumper
03-25-2014, 09:12 PM
It'd be just my luck it'd blow a big ol' hole in my back and I'd have to start over. :(

LJ3
03-25-2014, 09:25 PM
I'm trying to have a feel good thread here people!

Buckrub
03-25-2014, 09:47 PM
We paid you proper tribute.

Jimmy will feel good when the lightning misses him.

Captain
03-26-2014, 08:15 AM
I'm trying to have a feel good thread here people!

Yea this is the first thread ever that has gotten off topic... :D

hotshot
03-28-2014, 11:31 AM
little late to the hug fest party, but those are the types of notes we love to see and do our best day in and out to see.
That you cared enough to write a thx letter.... meant the world to that teacher.