PDA

View Full Version : So have you ever...

Big Skyz
03-25-2014, 03:13 PM
So have you ever been just crusing through life just fine ie...decent job, good marriage, kids are happy, health is relatively good...and then suddenly out of nowhere a job opens up that you'd really like to have, but requires uprooting everyone and everything to move should you get the job? Hasn't happened to me for a long time, but the wheels in my head are really turning right now after seeing an openning in a place I would really love to live. Man, making "life decisions" was a lot easier before kids.

Buckrub
03-25-2014, 03:37 PM
Yes, twice.

Once I took it.........moved to Dallas. The youngest learned to walk there. I hated it and moved back 9 months later for less pay.

Once I didn't take it........it was a drastic change in everything I knew....but if I had taken it, this new truck wouldn't be a problem to pay for.

Who knows?

I can't see you being happy in some eastern or southern city, or any big city..........but I might be wrong.

P.S.
Kids adapt. Folks every place have kids.

Big Skyz
03-25-2014, 04:05 PM
It's still in Montana and in education but over the next 10 years it would result in significantly more money. Much bigger city than I'm used to though.

Niner
03-25-2014, 04:06 PM
Just don't make any rash moves.......

Penguin
03-25-2014, 04:26 PM
Sounds like a good problem to have Troy... but one I've never had.

As far as city life in Montana? Well, tbh, aside from a couple of places most folks would consider Montana cities to be small~ish towns. When you can drive out of it in 10 minutes it ain't a city. :)

But Niner has a good point. When it comes to these kinds of decisions it pays to measure twice and cut once.

Will

Big Skyz
03-25-2014, 04:45 PM
Niner the fishing is even better there than here. ;)

Niner
03-25-2014, 04:50 PM
Well.....in THAT case..... :biggrin

:fish1 :fish1

Bwana
03-25-2014, 04:52 PM
You had me worried for a minute there Big Sky, I was just about to council you into staying put as I haven't made it out there fishing yet but now… ;)

What about the hunting opportunities?

It sure is tough when there are kids to consider when this kind of thing comes up. Best of luck to you.

Big Muddy
03-25-2014, 05:04 PM
Three words----"pray about it"....then, you WILL make the right decision.

Big Skyz
03-25-2014, 05:18 PM
Big Muddy, with me, that's standard procedure. Good to know others do the same.

Bwana it's only about 20 miles from Glacier Natl Park. Now maybe you understand the serious temptations to apply for the job.
http://canejason.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/glacier-national-park-montana.jpg

Thumper
03-25-2014, 05:33 PM
On one hand, that's a beautiful picture.

On the other hand, it reminds me of one of those 1950's Kodachrome postcards. ;)

jb
03-25-2014, 06:57 PM
I've only had to make a decision like that twice.
Both times it worked out to be the right choice.
I always asked, number 1 "Is it the best move for my family", number 2 "Is it the best move for my career"
and number 3, "Can I go back if either one does not work out"
First move was going from a very good job in industry to my first teaching job, different part of the state but about equal in quality. Pay was cut in half, but it's a career I went to school for. Worked out very well, pay increased over a few years, old job gone when company went out of business.
Second move was going from teaching to admin. Again pay was halfed, but location was 1000 times better.
Again, wages improved yearly, quality of life improved 10 fold for the family. Location was so great all three boys decided to live here and raise their family.
OK, could it be Kalispell ??
Good luck on your problem, so far you're batting 100.

LJ3
03-25-2014, 09:36 PM
Hey, if you can pull in more bank for the family, still get outdoors easily, advance your career all at the same time. Seems like a good call to me. Gotta make sure that YOU will still be happy. A family needs a happy daddy!

Captain
03-26-2014, 08:19 AM
What Len said...

And talk to Mrs. Sky.
I hope to come visit wherever you park! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Hombre
03-26-2014, 10:24 AM
Sky, I did just a little over 16 months ago. The pay was a little better with a significantly increased chance for advancement. I have two kids 10 and 15. I think I underestimated the oldest ability to quickly assimilate into the new culture. For us as a family it was a big change from Tulsa to Washington State. Everything has worked out but it has definitely taken more time.

If I had to do it all over again I would. The things to consider for me on any future moves are: (1) What is the impact to the kids. Not just socially but is there a difference in education and the community safety. (2) Can I move back if it doesn't work out? This ones a tricky one for me because its a balance of career aspirations and living goals. Can I move back is a good question but really the question is will I want to or go somewhere else. Tulsa was very limited in career opportunities. If I lean towards wanting to pursue career goals then the question broadens to not can I move back but can I move in the region, closer to what I know, and still have a successful career. Another question for me is family. In Tulsa I lived close to my family, now I see them less so its a downside.