PDA

View Full Version : Fish Thievery?????

Niner
03-27-2014, 12:27 AM
We've been finding skulls like this lately down at Lake Co-9, and we're trying to figgure out what the deal is.

Can any of y'all tell what kind of fish these used to be??? Any speculation as to what might have gotten them??

Georgia's Lake West Point is not very far at all "as the crow flies".....and we HAVE seen an eagle down at The Farm one time before....

On the day I snapped these pics, we found several of these skulls on either side of the lake....

Big Muddy
03-27-2014, 12:58 AM
Catfish-----Otter.

Captain
03-27-2014, 04:49 AM
No question that's a catfish, now what kilt it I'll have to figure on awhile. Usually an Eagle or Osprey will fly away from the lake to eat their catch. So I don't think this is their handy work. I'm sorta like Eddie thinking otter, but I cannot rule out a Heffalump..... :D

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Niner
03-27-2014, 05:21 AM
A few years back, we had a beaver trying to set up housekeeping in the lake. Unfortunately for him, it was before I got sick, and during deer season. Di and I waited up on him one night, and he got a bad case of lead poisoning. Funny thing.....about 2 years later a buddy of his tried the same stunt, and met with a similar end.
:occasion

Whatever it is, it seems to like going after the big cats. I been needing to get those big ones out of the pond anydangedway....sure would like to be down there to see what it is. Like I said, I know it's in range of eagles, and we have also seen ospreys down there on occasion also. :thumbsup

Captain
03-27-2014, 07:09 AM
I really think you will find the culprit a otter. I don't think beavers eat fish, but not certain? And a eagle or osprey will catch a fish but they will fly off with it and take it back to their nest to eat. They don't like sitting on the ground to eat and opening themselves up to become coyote food...
The third thing I can think of is if you have never made nesting boxes for the catfish to lay eggs in the females will sometime become impacted with eggs and simply die and wash ashore and the coons and possums will clean them up from there. That is a possibility. If you are finding them close to the edge of Lake Conine.

BarryBobPosthole
03-27-2014, 07:48 AM
My first cousin built and stocked a pond with catfish down on his farm and unfortunately it was too close to the river and the otters cleaned him totally out. Given they're protected, just be discreet how you deal with them.

BKB

Niner
03-27-2014, 07:50 AM
Larke, that last idea may be what the deal is, as we are finding them right near the bank.

I'm 100% sure it ain't beavers....that was just confirming that "critters" will take up residence where they danged well want to. :)

My plan last year.....and now has turned into this year's wanna-do project again....
I wanna fish a bunch of those cats out of the pond and have a big fish-fry for the fambly.

Back when we had the lake built and stocked, we put in 100 little 6" cats. I don't remember the species now....they were not the big ol' black ones like I caught at your place. They are more "colorful"...blue and light grey(???), and "skinnyish" (maybe channel cats???).
I DO know that there's at least ONE big ol' joker in there that survived the low/no water situation whilst the lake was being built.......he's stolen about $40 worth of tackle from me over the years. :D

Captain
03-27-2014, 07:53 AM
You need sink some big truck tires out there in about 6 foot of water and they will reproduce. You can build boxes but they are hard to get to "sink"....

Niner
03-27-2014, 08:26 AM
you mean like just regular "big pickup truck" tires.....or tires off of a tractor or somesuch???
They need to be stacked up, or just ones laying on the bottom?

Big Skyz
03-27-2014, 08:58 AM
Niner you definitely have an otter problem and they can turn a nice fishing pond into a fishless pond pretty quick. They are nightmare for fish farms and hatcheries. Check your state laws perhaps you can get some kind of damage permit or something to get rid of it/them.

airbud7
03-27-2014, 09:19 AM
Yea, probably otters...

Here's something interesting though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES0YQyqv4O0

Thumper
03-27-2014, 09:32 AM
Looks like beaver DO eat fish. (No wonder beavers smell fishy) ;)

BarryBobPosthole
03-27-2014, 09:41 AM
I remember when the Arkansas wildlife folks reintroduced beavers and they started showing up in the river down on the farm. He swore he saw a beaver eating a bass and the fish and wildlife folks told him he was crazy. He busts a cap in every beaver he sees.

BKB

Big Muddy
03-27-2014, 09:52 AM
Like I said, catfish---otter....an otter is the most efficient fish-killing machine on planet earth., and they will literally clean out a pond.

If you "happen" upon him, don't put any holes in the pelt...."I heard", they're selling for $250 bucks down here.

Niner
03-27-2014, 09:57 AM
IF that turns out to be the case. The SSS method will be called into play.

Big Muddy
03-27-2014, 10:06 AM
Phole is right....I know beavers are "supposed" to be herbivorous, but I have witnessed a beaver, eating on catfish carcasses, on three different occasions.

Big Muddy
03-27-2014, 10:24 AM
Cap is right about putting the tires in your pond....however, if they're too heavy for you to handle, 4-5 foot sections of plain ole 6-12 inch diameter thin-wall pvc pipe works great, too....just toss them out, away from the bank, in about 3 feet of water....they'll sink easily....females will nest in just about any structure that has an open entrance and exit.

That's what a lot of the catfish farmers use, who raise fingerlings, down here....catfish noodlers, too.

HideHunter
03-27-2014, 10:34 AM
I tend to agree with the otter theory.. and with your SSS solution - the less the DNR knows the better. As far as pelt value, otters have taken a real hit the past couple seasons- you're looking at more like 50 bucks in your part of the country.

LJ3
03-27-2014, 11:02 AM
Fuck beavers

Buckrub
03-27-2014, 11:17 AM
:snorting

HideHunter
03-27-2014, 11:23 AM
Fuck beavers

Pun intended? ;)

Big Skyz
03-27-2014, 12:18 PM
The nice thing about problems like this is that the solution is usually a very simple process. ;)

Chicken Dinner
03-27-2014, 12:27 PM
I like beavers...

Big Muddy
03-27-2014, 01:33 PM
I like beavers...

Me, too....the 2 legged ones are warm on a cold night....and, the 4 legged ones have a backstrap that's great on the grill!!! ;)

Captain
03-27-2014, 02:07 PM
I'm REALLY liking Eddies PVC suggestion. Smart!

Niner
03-27-2014, 05:04 PM
I'm pretty sure I have some pipe like that down at The Farm. About 8" to 10" ya say ??

Big Muddy
03-27-2014, 07:37 PM
Yep, 6 inches or larger oughta work just fine.

Buckrub
03-27-2014, 07:51 PM
That's what she told me last night, right before the bed broke.

Captain
03-27-2014, 08:00 PM
That's what she told me last night, right before the bed broke.

You have gained a little weight lately Bucky. ;)

Thumper
03-27-2014, 08:03 PM
A gal asked me how big mine was once. When I told her 3 1/2 inches, she laughed at me ... until I told her that's the diameter. :D

quercus alba
03-27-2014, 09:46 PM
Good thing I'm wearing boots, lot's of manure getting flung around

Thumper
03-27-2014, 11:42 PM
Huh? Where? :D