PDA

View Full Version : Towing Issue (a problem when you have time to consider)

Buckrub
03-27-2014, 11:16 AM
OK.......here's one for your Car, Truck, and Towing Buffs to contemplate and weigh in on.

The problem is simple. However, I've researched a ton of solutions and I can't find a good answer.

Here's the deal. I have a Husky Weight Distribution Hitch for the Travel Trailer (TT). This one:
http://www.huskytow.com/wp-includes/pdfs/Literature/H-1-A_HITCH_3.pdf

It's what they gave me when I bought it, and it fits my 2006 truck receiver (2" opening) just fine.

Along comes the new 2500 truck, bought for the express purpose of pulling said TT, and it has a 2.5" Class V receiver opening. Hmm. I found an adapter sleeve at Walmart, and it worked ok for the normal ball mounts used to pull my boat or utility trailer. Then I found a real 2.5" shank hitch at TSC, and got it. Problem solved for the normal 2" ball stuff like my boat.

But the Husky Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH) above is still a 2" shank, and it won't fit my new truck. I read online and get a lot of differing opinions. Many say "just get the adapter sleeve, no problem". Others say they tried it and it rattled, showed high wear after a while, etc. So that didn't make me real happy to hear. Not the ideal solution, IMHO.

SO, I find a new shank from Titan that is 2.5" at receiver end and 2" at Round Ball Head (RBH) end. Sounds good.......but then I find this guy online that has same problem, and some guy is trying to tell him why it won't work:

http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24705008/print/true.cfm

So, I'm lost again. I can't find a Husky 2.5" shank that fits my existing RBH. So I'm left with these choices:
A) use the adapter and don't buy another shank, use existing WDH
B) Buy the Titan 2.5" shank ($142.00 at ETrailer.com) and replace my existing shank with it. (ETrailer emails tell me not a good idea to mix/match manufacturers parts with a WDH since they haven't been tested together, but this is just a hunk of iron, so I can't see why it'd be a problem)
C) Get a whole new setup.........sell the old WDH.......with 2.5" shank included. Trouble is, these are also hard to find!!!

One guy at the Users Forum online suggested I get a Pro-Pride hitch setup..........WOW!!! These are nutsoid expensive!! But everyone says they are so good it's amazing..........

Such a simple little deal. One half inch, and it gets complicated as chinese arithmetic.

Many of you know more about this than I do (Ed, Cappy, Thump, Bwana, etc).....so I'm open to any suggestions.

http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24705008/print/true.cfm

BarryBobPosthole
03-27-2014, 11:37 AM
Sounds like you have a narrow urethra. Or your shank is too small.

One of those two.
BKB

Thumper
03-27-2014, 11:44 AM
I'm in a hurry as I'm leaving the house in a few, so I don't have time to read all that stuff. I have no clue what your tongue weight, etc. is on your trailer, but if the RV place supplied a 2" (receiver) hitch with the trailer, I don't know why a sleeve wouldn't work. If the trailer/weight required a 2 1/2" receiver, that would be a different problem. I scanned through some of the conversation on that site and spotted some dufe saying the hitch will rattle with the sleeve/spacer ... but there ain't no way that'll happen with the trailer hooked up and you ain't gonna be driving around with that thing stuck in your receiver without the trailer hitched up.

It looks like an EXPENSIVE proposition to do it the right way ... and a piece of cake with a sleeve.

Have you asked the trailer dealer if you could work out a swap of some sort? Heck, they may even have a used one laying around that came in with a trade or sumpin'. It's worth a try IMO.

If I totally missed the point of this post, I apologize. I'm headed out and in a rush, so I didn't study it that much.

Buckrub
03-27-2014, 11:48 AM
I don't mind using the sleeve...........but it sort of makes me wiggle and squirm. I've asked this at the TT User's Forum (Forest River Owner's Group) online, and see what they say. Some of them say they use the sleeve, and some day no, don't.

Arty
03-27-2014, 01:09 PM
I wouldn't feel comfortable with the sleeve. Like you said... It's make me squirm.
If you were pulling a 12 foot popup, that'd be different.
I would also guess te comments about the sleeve wearing quickly is true.

Hardened plastic I assume. Rubbing up on iron.

I'd go with option B above.

Big Muddy
03-27-2014, 01:48 PM
Sounds like you have a narrow urethra. Or your shank is too small.

One of those two.
BKB

You owe me a pc screen....I just spewed diet coke!!! ;)

Big Muddy
03-27-2014, 01:48 PM
Bucky, I've used the sleeves on every kind of equipment trailer hitch known to man, with LOTS more weight than your camper.

Believe me, they're safe....and, I've never heard a rattle.

Buckrub
03-27-2014, 01:57 PM
OK Ed. Good to know. It's not just a noise, or rattle. But if it's loose at all.......man. Pulling 6,000 lbs over the Rockie Mountains with an adapter to make the whole thing fit my receiver.........STILL makes me squirm thinking about it.

But maybe it's fine. I guess I will call the dealer and see what he says.........

Arty, the sleeve is just an iron sleeve......made of same stuff the shank is......just 1/2" thick to make the 2" hitch fit.........

Big Muddy
03-27-2014, 02:11 PM
Wow....6,000 pounds, huh???.....try pulling a 25 foot equipment trailer, loaded with a 10,000 pound tractor and bushog, thru the steep hills of east MS....on a two-lane blacktop road, with no yellow center lines....at night !!! ;)

Buckrub
03-27-2014, 02:13 PM
This is why I'm asking y'all.

If you say the sleeve will work just fine, then I don't need anything. You sure it's ok? I got a Walmart sleeve (they actually have a great line of trailer equipment). It is a Reese product. You say it's ok, and I'll just use it.

Thanks.

Arty
03-27-2014, 02:13 PM
If it's steel. Then could it not be welded to make it one whole piece?

Buckrub
03-27-2014, 02:15 PM
Spot welded yes. I suppose so.

Buckrub
03-27-2014, 02:31 PM
Ed, thanks.

I just called the dealer and he said he had no idea why Chevy and Ford went to the 2.5" receivers......but he sells the sleeves for 10 bucks and says they work just fine.....stick 'em in there, and use what you already have. Safe, no problem.

So.......I guess this is a non issue for the travel trailer. I already got a Class V shank for the regular 2" ball, so that's no longer an issue either.

Saved me about $800............so thanks.

If I come apart in the Rockies, you can have the wreckage for scrap metal. :)

Big Muddy
03-27-2014, 02:54 PM
U R welcome, sir....and, if it comes apart in the Rockies, call me collect....#BR-549. ;)

Thumper
03-27-2014, 03:11 PM
I have no idea what would come apart. Isn't it simply a steel sleeve that slides into the receiver? Doesn't the pin go through the sleeve AND the shank? If it "comes" apart with the sleeve, it would'a come apart without it. The weakest link is the pin itself IMHO, so it's a non-issue. I really don't see how it makes one iota of difference. The trailer originally used a 2" shank/receiver ... it didn't grow into some monster that requires a 2 1/2" shank/receiver overnight. Why weld it in? With the sleeve, you have the versatility of a 2" or 2 1/2" receiver if you should ever need the option for some reason (like the 2 1/2" hitch you already bought for your boat).

Bwana
03-27-2014, 03:13 PM
Only advise I have is to do what I did...buy a fifth-wheel camper.

Sorry.

Thumper
03-27-2014, 03:16 PM
Both have their drawbacks. Nothing like having a next to useless truck bed with a big ol' 5th wheel planted in the middle of it.

jb
03-27-2014, 03:24 PM
Bucky, when I bought my Chevy 2500 HD it was suppose to come with the sleeve but it was missing.
They said they'd order one for me but needed it sooner. I went to Farm Fleet and found a 2" hitch that slid right into the 2 1/2" one on the truck, It was as deep as the trucks hitch and fit nice and snug. The only thing the holes didn't line up, no problem, just drilled new ones on the sides that didn't have them already.
I pulled my 6500 lb camper all over and never had one bit of trouble, the way I figured my hitch now had 1/2" thick sides instead of the normal 1/4" .
One thing to remember, you have to keep your 2 1/2" opening very clean or the sleeve won't fit, I never took it out as all my trailers used the 2" inserts.

Buckrub
03-27-2014, 03:47 PM
Jim, that makes sense.

I did have to buy a new hitch lock. The issue turns out to be not just 1/2" bigger I.D., but also that it's thicker and most regular hitch locks are a SMIDGEN too short. I found one that's "extra long for 2.5" receivers" so that fixed that problem. But yes, that hitch lock is indeed the weak link. I guess I just sort of thought "Gee, if this is a Class V receiver, maybe I'd feel safer with a Class V hitch". But, appears to be not needed.

Thanks Bubba. More good news. The sleeve/adapter is easy to find. I got one at Walmart (Reese brand) and it lines up and fits fine. It just worried me. As I said, I found one that works without sleeve but only for the 2" ball to use with boat and smaller trailers. It's only the WDH that I needed to change something.

The other thing about using the sleeve is........if I just do that and keep this same WDH, then I can always still use it with the '06 truck if I need to.

I appreciate the input here from guys who know more than I do (no smart comments).............

Thanks.

Buckrub
03-27-2014, 03:51 PM
Don't want to start a new thread............... but I've been calling Auto Customs, and ETrailer and everyone all over......and researching online......and guess what? No one sells plain old step rails for this truck (yet). Not even hood bug shields, or mudflaps. All of those are slightly different on this year's model, especially a diesel because it has DEF tank where the step rails go..........and no one has them listed yet. Even the bed is same 6.5' length as last year's 2500, but NOT the same dimensions inside!!! So I have to wait for any rails, or add on stuff. Auto Customs said it would probably be MONTHS before there was much of a selection. He has some that MIGHT work........but, no guarantee.

On the other hand, I have (for fun) looked around at local dealers' inventories, and no one has this truck yet. GMC has a few Denali's at $12,000 more than I paid. That's about it, other than the basic gasoline Work Truck base models.....which is what the 2500 was made for anyway.

So....I guess I wait.

Gunther
03-27-2014, 03:57 PM
Crap Bucky, it seems you have to make up stuff to worry about. Sleeves are not a problem, if it pulled with a 2 inch before it will still pull with a 2 inch. If you had to pull something heavy, 20,000 lbs with a 2 inch adapted up to 2.5 that might be a concern. If it's under tension it probably won't rattle. If it does, and you probably should do this anyway, throw a little gun grease (from a grease gun, not sumpin' like RemOil) inbetween so it don't seize into the receiver.

Buckrub
03-27-2014, 04:00 PM
OK.

Again, the rattling sound isn't the issue. But rattling means it's loose. I now assume that won't be an issue.

BarryBobPosthole
03-27-2014, 04:12 PM
Understand I don't know shit about most of what you're talking about, but if the adapter rattles couldn't you just spot weld it onto the shank? Or maybe spot weld it to the receiver, I'm not sure which makes more sense.

BKB

Buckrub
03-27-2014, 04:19 PM
Rattling was what some other guy at the User's Forum said was an issue. And when I bought one and put it in with a regular 2" shank and 2" ball (like to pull my boat", it was loose.......not tight. But, I can see that it would tighten up when all connected.

It just concerned me when it was loose like that. A shank should fit exactly. No, or not much, wiggle. But everyone says it's not an issue.

It even has a different 5/8" pin size.....not just the length of the pin is more, but the girth too. It's just big old machine.

Thumper
03-27-2014, 04:29 PM
This may be a dumb question, but are you saying there is not even a factory option for a step-rail? If so, pick one up from the Parts Dept. and install it yourself. It's normal for the industry to experience a delay before aftermarket accessories are available for new models.

Buckrub
03-27-2014, 04:35 PM
There are none listed as matching this configuration (yet).

The bed on this 3/4 ton truck is the same bed as the 2014 1/2 ton bed, but NOT the same as last year's 3/4 ton!!! The body style is different, so there are not even mudflaps, bug shields, etc. listed for it. Not to say that something MIGHT not fit, it might with trial and error.......but nothing is listed for THIS truck (2015 Chevy 2500).

The guy at Auto Customs in Ocala, FL told me he'd sell me a step rail and let me try it and if it didn't work, he'd buy it back. I may try that. Not that hard to put on.

I've not tried the Dealer Parts Department.............they want about 60% premium for last year's model, so probably same here. Not worth that.

Thumper
03-27-2014, 04:42 PM
What I'm asking is, does the truck come with an optional step-rail from the factory/dealer? I can't imagine a tall-assed truck like that not having the option available. If the truck has that option available, tell your salesman you want one and see if he can arrange for you to get one through the parts dept. at dealer cost ... or cost plus ... or even if he'll get it for you with his employee discount. Heck, for a 2500 you'd need a small step-ladder to get into it, wouldn't you?

I keep a VERY close working relationship with my dealership personnel ... both sales and service. If I need a favor ... I usually receive a favor. If not, go to the Customer Relations Manager and tell 'im the truck came without the rail and your wife can't get into the thing. See if he can work a deal for you. You just spent a bazillion $$$ with them ... if they won't bend over backwards for you, buy a Toyota! :D

(HAD to slip that in sooner or later) ;)

Buckrub
03-27-2014, 04:49 PM
I can try that. Haven't thought of it.

You make me laugh. We DO keep a step ladder in back seat for wife to get in. It's higher than a Colorado Smokefest.

P.S.
This is a Chevy, not an expensive Toyota. If I spent what a Toyota (or Apple product, or Lexus) costs, I would also expect them to give me the moon along with it. :)

Thumper
03-27-2014, 05:04 PM
This is a Chevy, not an expensive Toyota. If I spent what a Toyota (or Apple product, or Lexus) costs, I would also expect them to give me the moon along with it. :)

Well, I'll bet the Chevy dealer will give you the moon! http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/mooning/showing-ass.gif

BarryBobPosthole
03-27-2014, 06:57 PM
Have you looked for them at this place? They seem to have the 2015 model stuff.

BKB

http://www.runningboardwarehouse.com/crew-cab-2014.aspx

Buckrub
03-27-2014, 07:07 PM
Yes.
And Auto Customs, the bigger/better competitor.

Here's their answer to my email if these will fit. I asked how confident they are that these will work:

I would say 10% sure the 2014 1500 brackets would work around the DEF Tank. 67% sure that you could delete one bracket and they would work fine.

Note that he said the 1500 (half ton)..........only because the stuff for a 2014 half ton seems to be the same BED as my 2015 3/4 ton truck! They're guessing. I am probably going to try this........I've asked dealer and waiting on their answer, but I'm sure they'll be double the price.

Big Muddy
03-27-2014, 07:17 PM
Too bad you didn't buy a new Ford....I've got an almost-new pair of step rails that I took off my current F150, prolly only two months, after I bought the truck....I got tired of my pants legs, brushing up against them, and getting muddy.

BarryBobPosthole
03-27-2014, 07:20 PM
Somebody, somewhere has the measurements of where the predrilled holes are where you fasten those to the truck. Seems like if you could get that it'd be a can of corn from there. Or maybe you could crawl under there and measure it yerownfineself! I'll bet you got a tape measure under the kitchen sink.

BKB

Buckrub
03-27-2014, 07:49 PM
I have one in 2/3 of the locations where I have reading glasses.

But, that's not the issue. The predrilled holes are there. The brackets bolt into the predrilled holes, then the steps slide along till they fit the brackets. As such, it seems that I could make it work. I think their entire issue is that the DEF tank on my truck is in the way of at least one of the brackets, and that it covers up at least one of the predrilled holes. Thus, I think (?) that they are reluctant to say "Yeah, this one will work, but you may have to delete one bracket entirely", which is basically what they guy I was talking to on the phone told me in his email.

Buckrub
03-28-2014, 04:31 PM
Last problem solved.

BTW, Posty, Running Board Warehouse and Auto Customs turn out to be two websites for the same place.

Guy called me back. He talked to his engineer and they got an adapted bracket that will fit my truck where the DEF tank is. Woo Hoo. He said they found a truck like mine at dealer, figured out what to do, and did it. I'm the first to order 'em. So I ordered the Ionic Voyager step rails with the new brackets.

Spending money I ain't got.........but Mama (and I) will finally be able to get up into this beast.

BarryBobPosthole
03-28-2014, 04:36 PM
That's pretty cool they went and did that. Goosing her in the ass with your thumb is a lot less expensive way to help get her in the truck though.

BKB

Buckrub
03-28-2014, 05:43 PM
Her son did that last week. It was pretty funny. Course, he can lift her in there and I can't. I tell her it's because of my bad back.