PDA

View Full Version : Anybody recognize this manufacturer??

Thumper
03-27-2014, 04:55 PM
I have an estate sale tomorrow and there is a gun safe there. I can't make out the manufacturer by looking at the pic (looks like Pro Steel"?), but it doesn't really appear to be a high quality safe. I'm pretty tight with the dude running this sale and he's VERY fair with his prices and will work with me if I want to negotiate. BUT ... I'm not sure what I'm looking at to begin with. I can research it once I get there, but I'd rather have my ducks in a row beforehand. The only reason I'd consider it, is to be able to turn it for a profit ... which shouldn't be too hard in this area. Any ideas?

http://pictures.estatesales.net/603498/12634887/1.jpg http://pictures.estatesales.net/603498/12634889/1.jpg

Thumper
03-27-2014, 04:57 PM
Well dang! I just Googled Pro Steel and it appears to be a Browning. The pic showed up larger when posted here. I couldn't read the tag on the estate sale website.

Niner
03-27-2014, 05:18 PM
I was gonna say it was prolly made for browning. Looks a lot like the safe my dad bought a bunch of years ago.

Think you can get a good enough deal on it to sell it "up north ". Of course I'd have to figure out HOW to get it up here ....I could use the extra space.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thumper
03-27-2014, 05:33 PM
Niner, we're supposed to be going to Savannah sometime soon. I know that's not really in the neighborhood, but I might be able to get someone to help me load it in the truck and we could maybe meet in the middle. 'Course, it would be a real comedy to watch you and me try to do anything with it once we hooked up. :D

This guy usually stays pretty firm on his asking price on Friday (and his prices are generally VERY reasonable). BUT ... on Saturday, anything that didn't sell on Friday, is half price. (even then, I can usually negotiate with him).

How are you doing with those treatments? Tomorrow is the final treatment isn't it? Maybe I'll try calling or at least text once I find out what he wants. I can always store it here and sooner or later, I'm sure we'd get up to the Hotlanta area.

Big Muddy
03-27-2014, 07:26 PM
Hahaha....if you two decide to hook up and move that heavy-azzed safe around by yourselves, PLEASE post some pics !!! ;)

I got a 36-gun Cannon, and it took four grown men and a day'um forklift to handle it. ;)

Captain
03-27-2014, 07:41 PM
I have a Browning Pro Steel safe. It's a little larger than that one but it is one HEAVY Mo-Fo..... Had to bring it into the basement on a forklift.
Good safes. Im pretty sure you have to haul it in the upright position. If you lay it over I think it screws up the tumblers.... Check with a locksmith before you try to haul it with the model number and they can tell you if it's safe (pun) to haul lying down.

Thumper
03-27-2014, 07:49 PM
Dang Cappy. I had no clue. Kinda like a refrigerator huh? ;)

Good advice. I'd have definitely laid that puppy down IF anyone were there to help load it. No idea what I'd do with it once I got it home though. I might find a way to get it OFF the truck ... but no idea how I'd ever get it back on. Heck, I had enough problem with Hammerhead's toolbox!

Buckrub
03-27-2014, 07:51 PM
You can NOT haul a safe lying on its back. Nope.

And Thump.........Savannah (which is where I was last week and got the flu), is about 5 hours from Niner's house.

Thumper
03-27-2014, 08:07 PM
Yep, but he's 7 hours from here! At least it's in the right state. ;)

Never knew that about the tumblers.

Captain
03-27-2014, 08:14 PM
If you get the model number some can be laid down. But I would not lay one over till I knew for sure. I'd say it would take a lot to "fix".
Another option would be to take the inside door panel off and removed the tumbler system and transport it separately.. There may also be a way to totally remove the door (unsure on this) and haul it upright while hauling the main safe down?

Niner
03-28-2014, 04:01 AM
From the pics it looks JUST like the one my Dad bought back in the early 1980's. Pro-Steel was making them for Browning at the time and Dad figgered that was good enough for him. I'm pretty sure my BIL has one of these jokers from the same timeframe as well. That safe got moved from Mom's old house to her new house near me when she moved down here 6-8 years ago. Come to think of it, I think my BIL has moved his a couple of times too. I think they just moved it with his big ol' utility trailer. (Dad's has a VERY slick Sargent & Greenleaf lock on it.)

IF IF IF.....the dude wants little or nothing for it (HAHAHAHAH) please at least let me know how much he wants. MAYBE I can con BIL and nephew into a little FLA trip to get that thing.

OR .......maybe just a pipe dream.

The Mrs. has been sayin' we need more safe "storage space" for "important stuff", so I have been kinda...sorta...looking at getting another one for the basement.

Of course I recon the whole thing would depend on how soon that thing has gotta get moved out of that house. I can't do SQUAT about it from right here, right now......but let's at least entertain the notion. Heck....he may be askign for more than I can get a Winchester safe from Tractror Supply.....(apples and oranges in the "safe world").

Niner
03-28-2014, 04:05 AM
Thump, I have my last treatment this afternoon. Only takes about an hour to get me all set up an zapped. Got a couple other appointments in the horsepistol today, but I 99.9% of the time have my iPhone with me....so call/text/msg or whatever. You gots my number. Heck....just call to say howdie if ya want. :biggrin....and we can laugh like heck at the notion of me transporting that thing up here. :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Thumper
03-28-2014, 07:51 AM
I guess the best plan of attack would be to get the price today, then see if it's still there on Saturday (1/2 price day). I could be first in line to nab it IF the price is right. 'Course, they usually shut down around 2-4 on Saturday and that's when they'd be SUPER negotiable IF it's still there. (lot's of if's)

I have a utility trailer and suppose I could take it ... but still have no clue how I'd load it. Everyone around the neighborhood is old, has a bad back or some other medical problems. Kinda sucks to realize all your friends grew old with ya'. :(

I'll play it by ear and see how it goes. If the price sounds reasonable, I'll give you a jingle. The WORST case scenario at these things if if the family got involved with the pricing. If it's left up to the estate sale dude, the prices will be excellent as it's his goal to EMPTY the house in two days. Sometimes the family gets involved and disagrees with his pricing ... which in turn, usually means stuff is still sitting around when they shut the sale down

Dang! I still have no clue how I'd move that thing .... maybe I could go down to the homeless shelter here in town and "hire" myself a crew. Maybe I could get it loaded for a case of beer or a couple bottles of Thunderbird. :D

Gotta run, sale starts at 9:00. Good luck with the treatments Bill.

Buckrub
03-28-2014, 09:35 AM
Two words.

Pallet Jack.

Thumper
03-28-2014, 02:48 PM
No prob. ... I'll just pull the pallet jack out'ta my garage and take it with me. (why didn't you just say "fork lift"?) ;)

Buckrub
03-28-2014, 02:54 PM
Fork lifts have fuel motors. Pallet jacks are hand operated.

Thumper
03-28-2014, 03:30 PM
Just being a smart-ass. I drove a truck. Believe it or not, I have a "licence" to operate both. (required in many major warehouses)

Buckrub
03-28-2014, 04:21 PM
I knowed dat.