PDA

View Full Version : Conway, AR

Arty
03-29-2014, 09:45 AM
20-20 had a special last night about a mother who having dinner at Gusano's Pizza in lil ole' Conway.

She apparently had one too many, and then breastfed her baby.

The things those crazy Arkansasian's will do...

Made me think of Bucky. Nice publicity for your town!

Thumper
03-29-2014, 10:19 AM
Yeppers, I saw that a couple days ago ... the ironic part is, the waitress, who reported her, was fired. Sounds like the makings of a Labor Board suit to me.

Buckrub
03-29-2014, 12:38 PM
The cop that arrested her...........turns out there's no law against it. Ought to be, ought not to be, whatever..........there currently isn't. He just did what he 'thought best'. Made up his own law.

I quit watching 20-20 and 60 Minutes and all those. So much contrived B/S calculated to make folks look bad, and create a fascinating story.

And it's "Arkansan"........... AR KAN'ZAN

Arty
03-29-2014, 12:44 PM
I like the way I spell it better.

Buckrub
03-29-2014, 01:13 PM
No problem, Virginianian.

Thumper
03-29-2014, 01:59 PM
"No law against it"? So, I assume if she weren't breast feeding and simply mixed beer with the formula in the baby's bottle .... that would be okay? I don't get it.

Buckrub
03-29-2014, 02:03 PM
I didn't say I got it. I said there's no law against drinking while breast feeding, and the cop knew it, and arrested her anyway cause he thought it was a good idea.

Captain
03-29-2014, 04:52 PM
I didn't say I got it. I said there's no law against drinking while breast feeding, and the cop knew it, and arrested her anyway cause he thought it was a good idea.

To be a smart feller you can say some of the stupidest shit of anyone I know....

Child endangerment is against the law no matter how back-asswards you want us all to think Arkansas is...

Laws don't have to say EVERYTHING specific. There ain't no law that says it's against the law to hang a child out a 12 story window by his ankles, or against the law to tie your kid to the top of the car while driving down the interstate either.
You can't pass a law that covers every possible situation. If the cop thought the mother was doing something that endangered the child he can arrest for child endangerment. He didn't "make it up" or just "do what he wanted" like you said.
He arrested for what he thought was probable cause of a crime.
The warrant probably read something like this
On or about (time and date) the defendant did endanger a child by breast feeding an infant while consuming alcohol in violations of: (state statue # covering child endangerment)
If the DA or judge or jury disagree that is child endangerment they they can drop charges.
But to say the cop just did what he wanted to knowing it is not against the law is just a stupid statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Arty
03-29-2014, 05:29 PM
They did drop the charges. If that means anything.
He should have given her a breathalyzer or blood test. Neither was done. The lady claimed 2 beers in 3 hours.
Others said differently.

BarryBobPosthole
03-29-2014, 05:32 PM
I hear what you're saying, Larke. But then I think of how often (and we seem to have more of it here than a lot of places) I see a gal puffing on a cigarette with a belly that looks like she swallowed a watermelon seed. Where do we draw the line on stuff like that? I don't pretend to know. All I'm saying is its not all that black and white. Thirty years ago we wouldn't dream of intervening in a mother feeding her kid, let alone arrest her. Now, it almost seems wrong if we don't? Who's freer? Us now or us then?

Innersting question.

BKB

Captain
03-29-2014, 05:53 PM
I know they dropped the charges. Like I said if the DA, judge or jury did not think it "fit" the law that is the proper thing to do.
My issue was never with if it was right or wrong to arrest, my issue was with Bucky saying there was no law against it and the officer just did as he wanted to. He did what he had to under the situation. My point is there is no law saying it's against the law to put a sleeping infant on a window ledge 10 stories up for a nap. It's all child endangerment. Every situation cannot be spelled out in law.
The cop didn't just do as he wanted. He did not just happen into a Pizza Hut and look at the lady and arrest. He ANSWERED a call of complaint where someone thought there was a situation where a child was endangered. To not have taken some action would have put him and his department serious jeopardy. If the woman had left there with her baby after someone called and had a wreck there would have been hell to pay.
People seem to forget of the liability officers and departments are under. They do not always do the popular thing but they for the most part have a lot of issues to weigh and consider and can only do what in their judgement is right. And sometimes it may not be "right". That's why there is checks and balances in the justice system.

Buckrub
03-29-2014, 05:55 PM
I'm not a smart fellow.

I don't know what the law says, and wasn't giving MY opinion or thoughts on anything. I was repeating what the local paper said about this issue, that the cop that arrested her had no legal grounds because there is no specific law against it. I was just repeating what I read. If it's stupid to state what I read about this (I didn't bring this up originally), then I'm stupid.

Captain
03-29-2014, 06:10 PM
Put up a link to your local newspaper that said (quoting YOU) "Made up his own law"
I want to read it in print from the paper you said printed it.
My point is there is no law that states specifically the examples I gave are against the law either. But you gonna wait till EVERY situation that could possibility harm a child to be spelled out in law before it can be enforced?

Thumper
03-29-2014, 06:20 PM
If that's what was said in the paper ... the publisher is even more stupid than that stupid woman IMHO.

Captain
03-29-2014, 06:30 PM
Waiting on the link Buckster....
I've searched the papers in Conway and the closest I can find is a statement in the log cabin democrat of Conway that says
"Arkansas law doesn't say anything specifically about drinking while breastfeeding, but officers on the scene made the call to place her under arrest."

Nothing even close to your statements of "he (officer) did want he wanted to" or He made up his on law.....

Captain
03-29-2014, 07:04 PM
I'm not a smart fellow. I don't know what the law says, and wasn't giving MY opinion or thoughts on anything. I was repeating what the local paper said about this issue, that the cop that arrested her had no legal grounds because there is no specific law against it. I was just repeating what I read. If it's stupid to state what I read about this (I didn't bring this up originally), then I'm stupid.

Buckrub
03-29-2014, 07:12 PM
Waiting on the link Buckster....
I've searched the papers in Conway and the closest I can find is a statement in the log cabin democrat of Conway that says
"Arkansas law doesn't say anything specifically about drinking while breastfeeding, but officers on the scene made the call to place her under arrest."

Nothing even close to your statements of "he (officer) did want he wanted to" or He made up his on law.....

Of course it's close. Not even close???? Why would you say that? Where's all the vitriol coming from?

If there's no law against it, and yet the officer arrested her ANYWAY, then how did I misrepresent?

OK. I don't get it. It's like if I say "blue", everyone has to say "WHAT SHADE OF BLUE?? TELL ME!! YOU'RE AN IDIOT!!"

I tell you what. If it is my paraphrase of what I read, fine. Good grief. Is there some kind of vendetta to ensure that my every word is challenged as wrong???? What's up with that??? What'd I do to anyone??

I'm watching basketball, not sitting here arguing. Sorry to make you 'wait'.

Just chalk it up to me being wrong, and you're right, and I apologize, and I won't give my thoughts on things. Y'all can do that (and you do!), but doesn't seem I can.

That's fine.

Big Muddy
03-29-2014, 07:21 PM
I'm with Cap on this....LEO's have to make decisions, sometimes based on their gut feelings and/or personal morals, and sometimes in a split-second....thank God for them, too...that pregnant gal is somebody's daughter, granddaughter, etc., and will soon be a mother herself.
When she comes to her senses, she'll prolly thank that cop, at some later date....maybe not openly, but certainly within her heart.

Captain
03-29-2014, 07:29 PM
Bucky I took exception (and still do) on your statements about the "officer doing what he wanted cause there was no law against it" and your statement about "he (the officer) made up his own law. You responded by saying "I wasn't giving MY opinion or thoughts on anything. I was repeating what the local paper said about this issue,"
You said you were REPEATING not paraphrasing what they wrote. You even went so far as to capitalize "my" I said I wanted to read where the local papers made those statements. Because they are both Stupid. That's not my opinion that is a fact both those statements are stupid on their face period! In fact the papers did not make those statements nor any statement that can be paraphrased or taken in ANY text that the officer made his own law.

Thumper
03-29-2014, 07:47 PM
...that pregnant gal is somebody's daughter, granddaughter, etc., and will soon be a mother herself.

Ha ha ha! Dang Edwardo ... she was breast feeding ... I think she was way past the pregnant stage! :D

Big Muddy
03-29-2014, 08:12 PM
Yep, I'm not paying very good attention, am I???....I'm watching your Gators, trying to fend off a late comeback from Dayton on tv.

For some reason I had the gal's pregnancy on my mind....my intentions were good, and I'll stand by them.

Thumper
03-29-2014, 08:24 PM
Well, if she's breast feeding ... I'll stand by "them" also! ;)

NO WAIT!!! This IS Conway, Arkansas we're talkin' about right? Maybe I should re-think this. Has anybody seen a pic of this gal? Her name ain't Big Bertha or Shaniqua is it? ;)

Buckrub
03-29-2014, 08:24 PM
I said I was wrong. I still have the flu, I'm watching the Gators, too, and I said what I thought. It would have upset me to see that, too. What I think doesn't matter. You're a cop and you defended the cop, and I get that. That's fine. Good....

I just never get why my thoughts are so volatile. They don't seem that way to me. Maybe I'm just......

Just wrong here. I apologize.

Maybe I need to take my own break here.

Thumper
03-29-2014, 08:26 PM
Awww, relax Bucky. Shake it off and stick around. I'm waiting for the do-it-yourself step rail installation story! :D

Buckrub
03-29-2014, 08:34 PM
http://thecabin.net/sites/default/files/imagecache/story_slideshow_thumb/article-2590039-1C96757A00000578-951_634x396.jpg

Thumper
03-29-2014, 08:43 PM
Arrrgghhhh! Nevermind! :eek:

Big Muddy
03-29-2014, 08:50 PM
I'm waiting for the do-it-yourself step rail installation story! :D

I want to buy 50 yard line tickets to that installation event !!! ;););)

yellowk9
03-31-2014, 04:27 PM
The cop that arrested her...........turns out there's no law against it. Ought to be, ought not to be, whatever..........there currently isn't. He just did what he 'thought best'. Made up his own law.

I quit watching 20-20 and 60 Minutes and all those. So much contrived B/S calculated to make folks look bad, and create a fascinating story.

And it's "Arkansan"........... AR KAN'ZAN

Some folks would argue with you about that ................................................

http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/encyclopedia/entry-detail.aspx?entryID=6438

Buckrub
03-31-2014, 05:49 PM
Crap, Yeller. Folks here argue wid me about EVERYTHING! I ain't been right yet, and I'm keeping score!!! :)

Thumper
03-31-2014, 05:55 PM
Crap, Yeller. Folks here argue wid me about EVERYTHING! I ain't been right yet, and I'm keeping score!!! :)

That's easy! Pick a subject ... any subject.

Score:

Anyone else (fill in the blank with 1 - infinity) / Bucky (0) :biggrin

Buckrub
03-31-2014, 07:13 PM
He's right.

Sunshine
03-31-2014, 07:47 PM
Bucky and I are RIGHT about Facebook.
There's you 1 Bucky and we agree more then you think!! :D

Thumper
03-31-2014, 07:56 PM
New nickname ... "Lucky Bucky" ... It took a blonde to agree with him. :D