PDA

View Full Version : For Earnhardt fans only

airbud7
03-30-2014, 10:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlW4zPE3twM

Thumper
03-31-2014, 06:42 AM
Dang it! ANYTIME Sr. is mentioned, I still get emotional. Dale and I were the same age, (both 49 the year he was killed) and we both grew up with racing. I remember his dad, Ralph, being one of the nicest guys in the business and at one race, we broke a part during practice and didn't have a spare. Even though we were "the competition", he loaned us a spare part he had to get us back into the race. "Little Dale" (Sr.) and I were still just kids running around the pits. In those days, kids under 12 weren't allowed in the pits, but I guess rules were bent at times because I don't remember once being stuck in the stands. Come to think of it, women weren't allowed in the pits either ... or shorts ... or sandals if I remember correctly. (there were also no green racecars or peanuts in the pits as it was considered bad luck!) Times have sure changed!

The people I've met in my lifetime has become a bit of an "inside" joke around this place. Between working for Cadillac dealers in Memphis and Hollywood, as well as a limousine manufacturer in Beverly Hills, I've met quite a few "stars". But I've never been a groupie and honestly don't have so much as ONE photo or autograph. Regarding NASCAR, my God Father actually came up with the NASCAR name in a meeting with Bill France Sr. and the rest of the "staff". Very few even know his name, but there are pictures of him today, in that meeting, at the head offices of NASCAR as well as a garage named in his honor in the Daytona pits. He stayed at our house more than he stayed at his own and I couldn't tell you how many nights I spent sleeping on a stack of tires in his shop just outside the backstretch at Daytona. But pics? Zilch.

I'm not big into memorabilia ... in fact I have none at all believe it or not ... except for one plaque that hangs over my desk ... a pic of the victory lap at the final race of the season in Atlanta, 1993. Both Alan Kulwicki and Davey Allison were killed that year. At the Atlanta (Championship) race, Rusty Wallace won the race and Dale won the championship. Afterwards, they ran a "Polish Victory Lap" in Alan's honor and each carried a flag, one for the 28 car of Allison and one for the 7 car of Kulwicki. I have a plaque over my desk with a pic of that lap. Also on the plaque is a small pic of Davey and Alan's cars. It is the ONLY photo or piece of racing memorabilia I own. In my lifetime, I've seen many drivers come and go ... but I'll bet for at LEAST a year after Earnhardt's death, I'd get all choked up and watery-eyed whenever Dale's name was mentioned, or I watched a race, or if I saw any picture or video with him in it. NOBODY in the sport has ever affected me that way ... before, or since.

Captain
03-31-2014, 07:08 AM
He was "my" driver. My mother in law could not stand him and they (in laws) watched the race EVERY Sunday. So I started pulling for him just because to aggravate her.... :)
Later I had several occasions to meet and be around him. My friend was his insurance agent (life, ouch). Dale was an outdoorsman and while we did not get to be friends he was always very nice to be around. Sure wish he had of been wearing the Hans device that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thumper
03-31-2014, 07:34 AM
Yep, he was way too stubborn and set in his ways to wear the Hans if it wasn't mandatory. Sr. and his dad were polar opposites as adults. Ralph would give you the shirt off his back. Although I was a HUGE fan of Sr, he was pretty "gruff" for the most part. A nice enough guy ... but only if he really knew you.

I can understand your in-laws. Sr. was one of those drivers you either loved or hated ... there was no in-between! ;)

My mom was a huge Rusty Wallace fan back in the day. I didn't really care for the dude and the couple times I met him personally, he was a total turn-off to me. SO ... I made it a point to always watch the Sunday races at my mom's. My mom and Lynn were both Wallace fans, my step-dad and myself were both Earnhardt fans. It made for some very "colorful" Sundays in those days! :D