PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of birthdays.

jb
04-01-2014, 07:17 PM
If I remember it was 17 years ago this month that this place came to life after youse guys got kicked out of All Outdoors.
Happy Birthday to all you misfits.:cake

Thumper
04-01-2014, 08:01 PM
You mean that multi-bazillion dollar mega-site that's now defunct? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! ;)

I miss Alison Widmer. :(

Captain
04-01-2014, 08:21 PM
We should try to find her and tell her to join up here. What a hoot!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

BarryBobPosthole
04-01-2014, 08:31 PM
Man oh man. Seventeen years. Think of all the wisdom that's been accumulated here in ......no wait, that don't amount to shit. Just think of the fun we've had in 17 years! Wadders and chemical suits and El Supremo Dufuses, and quail hunts and passing out in bathrooms and CB Radio repair shops and all the bad spelling and the Great Mouse Hunt, and the chipmunk story and how to get skunks out from under the porch and eastern european liberal prune pickers and WhiskeyJacks and the Holey Palm and all the purty wives and ghosts and attack cats and mule hand jobs and Festus and Richard Harris and a man called Mule, and falling out of perfectly good deer stands and riding bicycles on mountains even though you're not very graceful and coming face to face with a gator in a whistle and Chevys are still better than Toyotas and the first one to make eye contact loses and virtual trick or treating on Halloween and my person favorite.......Belinda Bass.
I'm sure there's mucho mucho more.

BKB

LJ3
04-01-2014, 09:00 PM
Boom!

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/alison-widmer/b/52a/665

Buckrub
04-01-2014, 09:23 PM
Doesn't seem like a day over 40 years, does it?

I am still amazed at how many of you guys I have actually met. Some of you are so stupid that I've met you twice or more. hahaha. I laugh at you.

But..........maybe I've lived a sheltered life, but.......if I live to be 120, I will never spend one day on this earth that I don't lie down at night and think about every aspect of those two trips to Canada. Then, other stuff comes in..........but that memory is always first.

Sunshine
04-02-2014, 12:38 AM
I can't believe I've know some of you ax murder's that long!!!' :D
AND ....... To have met some of you!!! Sheesh

Captain
04-02-2014, 08:06 AM
That means I've known Thumper for 17 years! Don't know how I've made it through....

Thumper
04-02-2014, 08:21 AM
That means I've known Thumper for 17 years! Don't know how I've made it through....

Ummm, think again Cappy. Good Hunting hadn't even been thunk about when we met! You weren't even the "Captain" then ... you were just a lowly lieutenant using the unlikely handle of .... well .... Larke Plyler!

The post to you about that Colemen heater was my FIRST EVER post on this here Al Gore Internet thingy. I had just bought my first (internet linked) computer, searched for "hunting" and stumbled across All Outdoors. I lurked a while to see what this internet thingy was all about, but the flame wars were so crazy there, I was "afraid" to post anything as a newbie ... so I continued lurking. Then you made a post about wanting a catalytic heater so the kids didn't freeze while in your stand with you. That's when I decided to stick my toes in the water for the very first time.

When I told the family I was driving to St. Augustine to meet some dufe I'd "met" on the Internet, EVERYONE thought I'd lost my mind and they'd eventually find my body cut up like a cord of firewood and stuffed in a box someplace! ;)

The rest is history.

Bwana
04-02-2014, 08:37 AM
Well happy birthday to us!

Have to laugh at your going-to-meet-the-potential-axe murder line Thumper as I did pretty much the same thing when I went to Big Sky's place for the first time. Had seen pictures and read so many stories on here that it was like I already knew him but when I started explaining to folks that I was going to Montana to go paddle fishing with a gent I had never met before it struck me as to how weird that sounded to anybody not in-the-know. Guess it turned out alright though.

Thumper
04-02-2014, 08:58 AM
Oh yeah Ticboy ... after seeing your link, I remember searching for her a while back and found the same reference. Either it's way out-dated or she's basically been there since AO shut down. I've thought about contacting her many times as we were actually pretty close "friends" behind the scenes. She wasn't real popular on the site and most used to give her a lot of shit about being such a hard-nosed bitch at A/O, but the higher-ups rode her ass pretty hard to enforce their highly restrictive rules. She was a bit of a "punker" in those days but a cool gal if you really knew her. The weird thing is, we couldn't "chat" much as she was always at work and ... unbelievably ... had no computer at home. 'Course that was the days before smart-phones also.

Then she married the chef, A/O shut down and we lost contact. The last I talked to her she and her new hubby were headed for a honeymoon on St. John. (I wonder if they're still married?)

Buckrub
04-02-2014, 09:21 AM
Marg never did cotton to the idea of old Terry allowing a BUNCH of axe murderers into her house. Heck, she wouldn't even stay there with him. I never met her!

When I tell folks that I and 3 other guys from 2 other states flew to Canada to see 2 Canuckians that we never met, they look at me like my head was on fire.

Best thing I ever did, in my life. Sounds crazy, but it really is the best.... What I'd give to get to do that again.

HideHunter
04-02-2014, 09:29 AM
Hey! let's stay on subject here. ;) Larry Brown (Tom Huggler called him one of the two best pheasant hunters in the world in a F&S article) and I got in a big hoorah about pointing vs flushing dogs at one of his seminars. It was a riot and the crown loved it. We both then ended up guiding at the Governor's hunt. He "invited" me to Good Hunting. I don't think I'd been there too many months when Kribbs called Sky all those foul names and I came over to hold everyone's coat. Been kinda fun.
On a side-note Thump. I think Larry was in the same business you were - maybe a few years ahead.

Thumper
04-02-2014, 09:42 AM
Hidey-Ho ... I think Larry invited you to All Outdoors, not Good Hunting. And ALL THOSE FOUL NAMES??? Ha! All I did was call B/S a "road hunter"! :D

A few of us renegades who dared to break the rules at All Outdoors, were "kindly" asked to leave at some point. Archer threw this site up literally overnight. Of course, nobody knew we were here other than a very small handful of degenerates ... so I went over to All Outdoors, sneaked in the back door and threw out a public invitation to check us out. Of course that went over like a fart in church, my post was immediately deleted and I got spanked pretty hard by Alison and was no longer welcomed over there! ;)

Well, one day I came up with a new strategy ... flame wars were rampant at A/O in those days, so I decided to start one. A few of the members from A/O were lurking around our site so I made a post about some "road hunter" (Big Sky). It worked like a charm ... the news made it over to A/O, then B/S dropped in here with Cornholio and started ripping me a new asshole! I kept trying to calm them down and explain what was going on, but the battle raged on. They FINALLY cooled down enough that I could talk to them and B/S finally accepted my apology and explanation. The best part of the deal was, a shitload of Big Sky supporters followed him here to watch the fireworks and also became regulars!

It was a rough start ... but WELL worth the lumps on my head after the severe beating I took. :D

And the irony of it all? I've met B/S in person and he's solid gold. I also have a numbered print he gave me hanging above my desk.

LJ3
04-02-2014, 09:47 AM
On a side-note Thump. I think Larry was in the same business you were - maybe a few years ahead.

Helmet polishing in the bus station bathroom? Who knew!

Thumper
04-02-2014, 10:00 AM
Bite me Ticboy!

Buckrub
04-02-2014, 10:20 AM
LJ, see? He's STILL trolling........

HideHunter
04-02-2014, 11:06 AM
lol.. That was it Len! ;) Your right Thump - brain fart.. A/O. I happened to be "on" when the whole thing started so I was there for the "fight" from start to finish... and I've just stuck around to see if you guys would get into it again. ;)

Sunshine
04-02-2014, 11:17 AM
And then I'd drop in, during the evening, and everyone kept thinking I was Helen.
I thought you all were nuts!!!

One time I went to Michigan, to visit family, and meet three Internet friends.
One was in Canada and when the boarder officer asked me what my business was I said meet Internet friend and go fishing. He gave me the strangest look. Lol
I was wearing those pink spandex and I don't think he believed me. Lol

jb
04-02-2014, 12:21 PM
This whole thing started about 6 years before I retired, I don't think I could have made those last 6 years without it.
I was in Central Office when our Tech Supervisor came in my office and showed me AO as we both liked hunting and fishing and the site originated here in TC.
Was on AO about a year before all your dufes got kicked off. Remember it well.
At one time I though I'd stop by and see Alison, but we had a number of our students working there on co-op and I didn't think it was a good idea to associate our kids with you losers.
I followed you here along with the site Mauserman started, but soon found I had a better fit here.
I forget who the husband and wife were (he could not spell "shit" right) her name was Gabby. They lived in a small town not far from here. I got invited to his biker wedding a few years after they split. I think she took off with Remchester.
Still a great place after all these years.

Captain
04-02-2014, 12:23 PM
Jeff and Gabby...

Thumper
04-02-2014, 01:05 PM
I forget who the husband and wife were (he could not spell "shit" right) her name was Gabby. They lived in a small town not far from here. I got invited to his biker wedding a few years after they split. I think she took off with Remchester.

Yep, that was Gabby and Jeff Clark. She didn't run off with Remchester ... she ran off with Eric Remington. He was a dentist in Nebraska. He was going through mid-life crisis, bought a Harley, Gabby left Jeff, ER left his wife and the two of them rode off into the sunset together, never to be heard from again. Jeff chased 'em all over the country for a while, but finally gave up. What a Peyton Place this was! :D

BarryBobPosthole
04-02-2014, 01:52 PM
You can't make that stuff up. I think the last we heard from Jeff he was living up in Missouri wasn't he?

And Uncle Frank is still one of my all time favorite posters. Even though he was fake.

BKB

Buckrub
04-02-2014, 01:58 PM
The potato guy from Washington...........his 'fake' personna........was mine.

Captain
04-02-2014, 02:01 PM
17 years ago we were all accessing the site with dial up modems, laptops, tablets, and iPads were unheard of. I remember the first flip phone I got where I had internet service and I could read GoodHunting from my deer stand. I remember having to type with the number keys by hitting a certain number a certain amount of times to make whatever letter I needed.
Then came the smart phones and now I can take a picture of a turkey 2 minutes before I shoot him and post the before and after...
Sorta play by play hunting.
No telling where we will be in 17 more years...

Buckrub
04-02-2014, 02:09 PM
I kinda know where I'll be...................

BarryBobPosthole
04-02-2014, 02:54 PM
Enough with the negative vibes, Moriarity!

BKB

Buckrub
04-02-2014, 03:01 PM
Hush, young 'un.

Besides, I wuz pretty positive. :)

jb
04-02-2014, 03:50 PM
In another 17 years I'll just be pushing 87, very doable.
I predict that I'll be sitting here with a life size hologram of whoever I'm talking to, sure hope by then Pumphead remembers to put his cloths on before signing on. ;>)

BarryBobPosthole
04-02-2014, 03:51 PM
In another 17 years I'll just be pushing 87, very doable.
I predict that I'll be sitting here with a life size hologram of whoever I'm talking to, sure hope by then Pumphead remembers to put his cloths on before signing on. ;>)

i'm gonna have to get a bigger projector!

BKB

Buckrub
04-02-2014, 03:53 PM
dang......

LJ3
04-02-2014, 04:26 PM
I'll most likely off myself before I have to look at a hologram of you guys. More like a friggin holoCAUST

Buckrub
04-02-2014, 04:37 PM
Word up, Lenster!

(did I do that right?)

LJ3
04-02-2014, 06:28 PM
That is correct, Sir!

Arty
04-02-2014, 06:59 PM
Who was the dude that came in here and started offering signed copies of his new Children's book? The book was about a bear named Mulberry IIRC. He offered them and a lot of us said yes. I remember reading that to my (now) almost 16 year old.
He still has the book on his bookshelf I believe.

Then there was that kook from Florida who wore pinks pants... Oh. Wait. :slomo

BarryBobPosthole
04-02-2014, 08:00 PM
I forgot about that guy. From NY State, right?
BKB

Arty
04-02-2014, 08:07 PM
Not sure really. I wanna say yes, but that would be a guess

Buckrub
04-02-2014, 08:54 PM
So who was Potato Farmer (faked?)??? He was the coolest. Supreme Dufus was......um.......the Dufusest. Well, besides me.

BarryBobPosthole
04-02-2014, 09:37 PM
I don't remember a tater farmer. I remember Uncle Frank, is that the same guy?

And have we heard from Electric Man since we moved?

BKB

Buckrub
04-02-2014, 09:44 PM
Once. Maybe twice. Him and Miss Ellie! So many.......so many that I can't figure out why they left for good, either.......just odd to me. But, lots of things are odd to me!!! :)

It was some guy from Washington State.......and he came on and signed on as someone else, and the guy was a Potato Farmer from Idaho. "Uncle Frank" doesn't sound right, but hey.......I'm WAY older'n you are. Maybe it was. When he was in that persona, he was hilarious.

LJ3
04-02-2014, 09:56 PM
I think I took almost a year off from the site at some point in my life, didn't I? I have no idea what happened to me :)

Thumper
04-03-2014, 12:01 AM
The Washington dufe? Wasn't that ... ummm ... dang! It was on the tip of my tongue and I lost it. Didn't he get a divorce and move from Texas(?) to Seattle ... then after he got there he bought a Suburban on eBay and reneged on paying for it and then asked us how much trouble we thought he'd be in for not paying up?

Or sumpin' like that! ;)

Captain
04-03-2014, 05:16 AM
Yep. I remember him buying the truck and not wanting it. But I don't remember the Washington move?