PDA

View Full Version : Bye

Buckrub
04-06-2014, 09:44 AM
Headed to Memphis to get the 5 y/o grandson. Sort of an 'emergency' thing. Pray for me.

Y'all help me look. I was in the..........um......."library" reading either Cabela's or BPS sales flyer the other day. They had a "poor man's manual power pole" thingy that you stick in the mud to hold your boat. Like a manual MinnKota Talon..........and two different boat adapters to run it through to hold your boat still in shallow water.

I threw that catalog away and can't find it online, or in the master catalog.

Y'all find one of those for me. I see a ton Googling, that say "Make your own", and I may do that..........just need something to hold boat. 12' probably.

BarryBobPosthole
04-06-2014, 10:12 AM
You might try an anchor. Personally I think those Talons and all of the lookalikes are for looks and wouldn't be of much practical use.

BKB

Buckrub
04-06-2014, 05:55 PM
I have an anchor. Many times it's useless. Yesterday I sat in 9 feet of water with 4 brushtops all around the boat. Anchor wouldn't hold. Or it hung up in a brush top and ran the fish off. I had to keep working trolling motor to keep in the general area, another "not good idea"........and all I could think of is "I wish I had one of those stick in the mud pole thingies". Boy would it have worked great.

Not sure why you disagree. Oh well.

I'll figure it out. I know I saw it in a sales catalog somewhere. Gone now.

Buckrub
04-06-2014, 05:56 PM
And driving back from TN, I got about 1 more mpg than I did last trip. I don't know if it's due to having the cover on the bed, or not. I'll have a better idea next weekend when I take the kid back and head to South Carolina.

BarryBobPosthole
04-06-2014, 06:05 PM
How many miles on it? It'll probably improve too as the engine gets broke in good.

BKB

BarryBobPosthole
04-06-2014, 06:06 PM
And for you'd pay for a Talon you can buy a pretty damn nice anchor. Or even some real fancy brush clips.

BKB

Buckrub
04-06-2014, 06:36 PM
I ain't buying no Talon. Those are Thousands of bucks!! I might spend a hundred or two. Max.

2600 miles already. Dang. And more to come next two months. Then maybe I can settle down. I'm worn out. Truck is everything I dreamed it'd be, though, and more. Just awesome.

And I have brush clips, fore and aft. They don't do much good on submerged brush tops in middle of the lake, dufus.

Captain
04-06-2014, 07:52 PM
I cannot imagine fishing flats or the intercostal without a Power Pole or Talon.
But you will not be happy with a cheap unit it will become loose or break.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Buckrub
04-06-2014, 08:15 PM
Well, this ain't the same as saltwater shallow flat fishing. I just need a quick way to anchor in water up to 8-9 feet deep, close to submerged brush piles. It'd have to be pretty flimsy to break. I know one guy that made one out of bamboo.........course if IT breaks, just cut another one! :) Which might be ok, but most aren't long enough.

I sure ain't buying no Talon for $2K or so. Geez.

Probably not any really good solution. But throwing an anchor is not good enough most times. You have to let enough rope out to let it grab, and by then you're too far away. I need to see a brush pile on my TM depthfinder, throw out a marker, and stick my boat RIGHT THERE..........and start fishing.

Captain
04-06-2014, 08:26 PM
Most of the guys I fish with have gone to putting two on the back of the boats. It really helps in the currents which are strong and something I'm sure you will not have to deal with. But the wind will twist you around as quick as the anything. If you want something that works go with a good one. If you go with a cheap one you will just be buying a headache. IMHO

Captain
04-06-2014, 08:43 PM
Sounds like you want to hang out with your wang out...

They have both bow and stern mounts. A couple hundred bucks each...

http://www.wanganchor.com/shop-online/transom-system/

Buckrub
04-06-2014, 08:51 PM
Yeah. But Wangs are too short (I COULD NOT RESIST)...

I need about a 12' pole.

Cabela's and others have the "Dig IN Anchor Pole" in 8, 10, and 12 foot lengths. But a bit pricey.

Captain
04-06-2014, 09:21 PM
I really don't know what you want? Cabalas has them from 75 to 225 bucks? What cha want someone to give it to you?

Buckrub
04-07-2014, 12:11 PM
Sure. Sounds good.

'Bout decided to try using a hard PVC pipe first and see how that works.

BarryBobPosthole
04-07-2014, 12:21 PM
Try this link, Bucky. There looks to besome good DIY ideas for one.
BKB

http://www.catfishedge.com/shallow-water-anchor/

Buckrub
04-07-2014, 12:49 PM
Think I found it........still cogitating, but this looks like the best idea so far.

http://www.powerlockanchors.com/

Big Muddy
04-07-2014, 01:24 PM
Cap, you wanna make a bet???....I'll bet ole Bucky ends up, trying to make one of those things, and it's gonna fall apart, and drop down and drag on the asphalt, and when he gets home, it ain't gonna be nothing but a nub, hanging down. ;)

Captain
04-07-2014, 03:29 PM
Cap, you wanna make a bet???....I'll bet ole Bucky ends up, trying to make one of those things, and it's gonna fall apart, and drop down and drag on the asphalt, and when he gets home, it ain't gonna be nothing but a nub, hanging down. ;)

NOooooooo! I would not take that bet regardless if it were home made or factory bought! ;-)

I think that thing would be in the way more than it would be used.

Buckrub
04-07-2014, 06:01 PM
There are people I never expect to agree with me on anything, or have any confidence in anything I do. I get it.

:)

Now comes this:
http://www.mgs4u.com/shallow-water-boat-anchors.htm

Maybe I'll make (and use) one of these in private/secret, though.

Thumper
04-07-2014, 06:32 PM
Ya' know sumpin'? I think I have enough junk in my garage to throw together sumpin' that might work. I have a junk trolling motor with a good mount. And I have a collapsible fiberglass extension pole that I used in the pressure cleaning business to wash awnings, multi-story windows and billboards with. (it has a fitting on the end to screw on brushes, squeegees, etc) Seems to me you could rig the two of them up to do the same thing.

Here's the type pole I have ... I "think" mine is 15' - 18' maybe, but they have all different lengths.

http://mrlongarm.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/6224.jpg

Thumper
04-07-2014, 06:33 PM
Dang! It was a SMALL pic on the website! Sheeesh!

Big Muddy
04-07-2014, 06:46 PM
Hahaha....Bucky, yo chain is just too easy to yank. ;)

Plus, you gotta sign around yo neck, that says, "If I build it, they will come-----to watch me blow myself up." ;)

BarryBobPosthole
04-07-2014, 06:57 PM
And it wouldn't be a Goodhunting post without Thumper bragging about his pole.

BKB

Captain
04-07-2014, 06:59 PM
Yea and he even said it was small... ;)

Buckrub
04-07-2014, 07:48 PM
Thump, send it on. Thanks.

Big Muddy
04-07-2014, 07:57 PM
It's got"Mr. Long Arm" written on it....that's the only reason Thump bought it. ;)

Buckrub
04-07-2014, 08:52 PM
Probably doesn't matter right now. Got kiddos to deal with next two weeks. Not going to be fishing till end of month or so....unless I slip off in South Carolina or something.

Captain
04-08-2014, 06:34 AM
Come to think of it I found a complete trolling motor in the Potomac river when I was up there fishing. The motor is toast but I'm sure the bracket is good for what Buckster would need. It a transom mount...

That pole you got there Jimmy is expensive. I bought one 15 foot to repaint my deer stands. I need one longer at least 18 if not 20 feet.
The stands are on 16' towers and they are 6'6" tall. I have to stand up in the back of my gator to reach them with the one I got. Wonder if they make a extension?
I figure if ANYONE knows anything about pole extensions it would be Thumper. :D

Thumper
04-08-2014, 08:36 AM
Not sure about extensions Cappy. It's been a while since I messed with that stuff. I still have all my equipment out in the shed, so I'll try to get out there sometime soon to see what length it is. I don't remember how much I paid for it, but I usually bought the quality stuff since I made my living with it. Heck, I kept everything in case I was ever able to go back to work, but it appears I'm pretty much permanently "retired" and should probably start getting rid of all that stuff before it rots away. If you make it back down to the beach house this summer, maybe I can throw it in the truck and zip up there to see if you can get us thrown out of some local juke joint. ;)

Captain
04-08-2014, 08:58 AM
Sounds like a plan.
We will probably be coming back down to Florida to fish sometime soon. Looks like we are going to hang on to that place for at least another year. We sold a house in Florence SC last Thursday and really can't afford to pay capital gains on two places the same year.
It would seem if those extendable poles are threaded on both ends (one male and one female) it would be a no brained to just screw them together?
When you put your hands on it see if the handle end is threaded with a female threads. If so I bet you could buy a 6 or 8 foot pole and screw them together.

Thumper
04-08-2014, 09:03 AM
Actually, if I remember correctly, I seriously doubt you could handle it any longer than it already is. Like I said, it's been a while, but I "think" it already has 3-4 sections and collapses down to 5-6 feet. I could be way off as I haven't set eyes on it in years.

Captain
04-08-2014, 09:17 AM
You are probably right. I remember on the 15 (or 16) foot pole I was using to paint stands with I'd have to put the paint tray a hell of a long way away to pick up paint on my roller. And it was a bit difficult to let it down that far out to pick up more paint. Several more feet out and you would about need a partner to catch the pole about half way and help roll it in the tray... :D

Thumper
04-08-2014, 09:33 AM
Well, I got curious and had to go look. I was way off. It's an 8' pole with only two sections (8'-16') ... so it's not much better than what you have. Yeah, I remember persactly what you're talking about. I had a chain of burger joints that I washed once/month and they had one of those big vinyl awnings across the front. I had to hand wash them and it was a royal PITA to scrub, lower the pole to dip in a bucket of cleaner, then raise back to the awning a bazillion times.

I now remember the first one I had ... it had 3-4 sections, but once it was extended, it was too flimsy to work with, so I bought a stouter one.

Here's the persact one I have ... the prices on the net seem to be all over the map, but I didn't check all the shipping prices. On this one, the shipping runs about $20-$25 depending on where it's shipped.

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/Mr-Long-Arm-6516-Extension-Poles-2-Piece-8-Foot-To-16-Foot-Alumiglass-6243653.html?lct=s

Buckrub
04-08-2014, 11:22 AM
Cappy, this is the site where they sell the components:

http://www.mgs4u.com/shallow-water-boat-anchors.htm

They have all the threaded ends to epoxy on, and 2, 4, and 8 foot pole sections, in 3 colors. Seems you could put together whatever you wanted from here. It looks pretty easy. I'm betting even you could do it.

Captain
04-08-2014, 12:03 PM
Thanks Buckster. If I can't figure it out you can come show me how to do it? :-)
If you are in SC this week come by and I'll give you that old trolling motor and you will have a transom bracket.

Buckrub
04-08-2014, 03:25 PM
Be there next Monday, the 14th........probably stay through that next weekend. Order me an 8' rod, a 4' rod, and the thread connectors, pointed tip, and t handle and I'll let you pay the shipping costs for my help of showing you how to do it......and I'll pick 'em up next week.

:) :)

Captain
04-08-2014, 05:28 PM
Next week in OPENING week of Turkey season in NC I will be hard to find. If I come home in the middle of the week I'll give you a call and you can come get the motor mount if want it.
Or I could leave it outside my shop and you can pick it up anytime next week.

Buckrub
04-08-2014, 06:41 PM
Don't worry about this Turkey. Not sure a TM motor mount would work anyway. I don't have much room on the bow left...

Holler if you get worn out pulling the trigger. Otherwise, don't sweat it....