PDA

View Full Version : Stress

Big Skyz
04-07-2014, 01:36 PM
I'm sure JB will be able to relate to this. For any "good" teacher the last two months are pretty darn stressful. Anything that didn't get done during the year has to get done NOW. If one teaches high school, then seniors become a major priority, and that they pass their classes. Some of those seniors won't make it unfortunately, but most will be motivated enough by their teachers to step up and get the work done. Pretty much one's tolerence runs out for the obnoxious students around this time of year, and teacher's tend to be a little more grouchy than usual. Heck, even the students are tired of each othe,r and things or behaviors, they've tolerated all year no longer get a pass. There are more fights between students the last two months of school than all the other months combined. Anyway, it's pretty much red level stress for teachers, administrators, and students the last 60 days. I'm no different, I'm pretty stressed and worn down, but still have what it takes to make it through to the end. However, I don't know what other teachers use for stress release, but as for me...the second work is over today I'm going fishing. Supposed to be a high of 60 today and the trout in the creek are calling my name. Y'all have fun I'll be gone fishing in exactly 4.5 hours. Make that 1.5 hours. :)

A pic from last Friday's therapy session.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/Troy4-4-14_zps0f170acb.jpg

Chicken Dinner
04-07-2014, 02:23 PM
I love the back drop of the river stones.

BarryBobPosthole
04-07-2014, 02:31 PM
Stress is a killer. I shudder to think of the stressful times I lived through and I know those were the hard road miles I put on my nearly worn out old body. Only thing I have to say about stress is 'it ain't fuckin' worth it'. Don't know how else to put it. But it ain't. IF it was world peace, then maybe I'd say it was, but there ain't nobody I know of that puts world peace on their priority list.

BKB

Big Muddy
04-07-2014, 02:31 PM

I whole-heartedly agree, Sky....for me, during the spring-time, I'm battling weather, markets, interest rates, equipment, labor, etc.

This is what keeps my sanity !!!....but, actually, I don't hafta catch a single fish....just being out there, is worth it ALL.!!!

LJ3
04-07-2014, 03:14 PM
BBP, I like whirled peas. Great ingredient for soups.

Big Muddy
04-07-2014, 04:03 PM
Len, you just ain't right, boy !!! ;)

Captain
04-08-2014, 06:39 AM
I had a buddy that had a bumper sticker that said "What's all the fuss about Whirled Peas" Took me awhile but I finally figure it out.

Sky, I highly recommend retirement. The most stress I have is figuring out which blind to hunt out of or which lake/pond to fish in... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thumper
04-08-2014, 08:56 AM
I've stated many times here what my job was in dealerships ... it was total stress, 100% of the time. I remember I was in my mid-30's and my secretary asked who my doctor was. I told her I don't HAVE a doctor. The next thing I knew, one of the drivers parked my company car outside my office door and brought the keys in to me. About that time, my secretary walked in, closed my briefcase, handed it to me along with a note with an appointment time and address of a doctor. She shuffled me out the door and said the doc would know what to do when I got there and NOT to worry, she had all my appointments handled for the day. (she was an angel)

Well, I showed up at the doc's office and my blood pressure was through the roof! He had me come in twice a day for a week ... once in the morning on the way to work (he wasn't "officially" open that early, but the nurse would take my BP). Then I had to stop in again every day on my way home and she'd take it again. The following week, the doc called me in and told me I had three choices ... to go on blood pressure meds, OR consider a career change, OR die! My BP was "normal" every morning and through the roof every afternoon, so he said it was job related stress. Heck, the last time I'd been to a doctor before that was for my exit physical from the military!

I weighed my options and decided it was time for a major change in my life. I resigned from my job, took a year off to "think", then decided to sell my house (this was in L.A.) and move back "home" to Florida so I could "slow down" and start my own business. I always wonder if working all those years with sky-high blood pressure was the reason for my aneurysm. (I really have no doubt it was a major contributing factor ... if not the ONLY factor) Yes, that stress can kill you and shouldn't be taken lightly.

Big Skyz
04-08-2014, 09:28 AM
Thump that would absolutely suck. I had a job like that for a while. Thankfully I quit and moved on. Even had a similar conversation with my doctor as you did. Worse part was I was only 25 years old. Glad I got out of it. Teaching can be stressful but for me the first week or two and the last two months are the worst of it. The rest really isn't all that bad. Last night's therapy session went well. I didn't catch a lot but the quality in size was there. This is from a small mountain stream. Fish this size are exceptional considering the water they are coming from.
See pic's below:
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/Troy4-7-14A_zps574765e2.jpg

Another solid brown.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/Troy4-7-14B_zpsc7fee234.jpg

Thumper
04-08-2014, 09:44 AM
Yep, that's definitely stress relief right there! REALLY nice fishies!

Buckrub
04-08-2014, 11:31 AM
I had a buddy that had a bumper sticker that said "What's all the fuss about Whirled Peas" Took me awhile but I finally figure it out.

Sky, I highly recommend retirement. The most stress I have is figuring out which blind to hunt out of or which lake/pond to fish in... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

:iagree

Buckrub
04-08-2014, 11:35 AM
P.S.
Stress.........having a 6 million dollar/month customer, all to myself.......almost killed me. Well that and 19 kinds of other family stuff, worrying about bills, you name it. Next July 14, that'll be 10 years ago. Seems like yesterday, I was sitting right here where I am now. My youngest grandkid was 3, and he'll be 12 on Thursday. My current youngest grandson, here at the house with us this week, wasn't born. My hair was mostly brown.

I am not the type to "Let it go". I just can't. I am a fixer, and I now have 14 people depending on me to 'fix' this or that for them. But I've learned to 'go fishing', even if it's in bed with my eyes closed.

Calvin Coolidge said "Next to prayer, fishing is the most personal relationship of man". Boy, old silent Cal was a genius.

Big Skyz
04-08-2014, 11:56 AM
Buckrub, love that quote. I see me using that often.

Niner
04-08-2014, 06:15 PM
Thinking about a fish dinner has me feeling less stressed!
:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup