PDA

View Full Version : Do People Get Allergies as They Get Older?

BarryBobPosthole
04-10-2014, 10:43 AM
I certainly seem to have. We opened the house up this week to air stuff out and I immediately started sneezing and wheezing and my nose has been running like a freight train. Seems like the past few years this hits me. And what's wierd is I can get off a plane in some cities and as soon as they open the damn door I start tearing up like somebody died.

Strange but true. I don't envy the true chronic allergy sufferers. This sucks!

BKB

Big Skyz
04-10-2014, 10:57 AM
Yeah, everyday I get more allergic to little kids. Can't hardly stand to be around them if I'm not related to them.

Captain
04-10-2014, 11:14 AM
Some people are born with true allergies some have to be "conditioned" to get them.
When I was a kid my folks and grandparents kept a kettle of water on top of a wood burning stove to put humidity in the house during the winter. We did not have air conditioning until I built my first house in 1977. That was the first central air I'd lived in. Back in the early 70's we had a window unit in our den. That was it.
So now during the winter we are living in conditioned heated air. Just dry and more dry.
It's drying out our sinuses all winter long.
Then in the summer we are living in dry conditioned cool air, continuing the drying process.
The older you get the more time you spend inside "conditioned" air drying out your sinuses.
I bet when you were a kid you stayed outside as much as you could no matter the season and never had a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thumper
04-10-2014, 11:43 AM
I'd never had any sort of allergies in my life until about 10-12 years ago. Once the oak pollen started flying, my head would start filling up. BUT ... it wouldn't hit me every year. I'd go through a bazillion allergy meds and some "helped" ... but none gave me total relief. Then, just as suddenly as my allergy problem seemed to appear ... it seems to have disappeared. I haven't had an allergy problem in at least 5 years now. (knock on wood) The last time I had a problem was while I was driving my truck. The tough part was, I could only take the non-drowsy types (for obvious reasons) which didn't seem to work as well for me. I was one miserable MF'er driving down the road. Haven't had even a hint of a problem since.

LJ3
04-10-2014, 12:28 PM
Some people are born with true allergies some have to be "conditioned" to get them.
When I was a kid my folks and grandparents kept a kettle of water on top of a wood burning stove to put humidity in the house during the winter. We did not have air conditioning until I built my first house in 1977. That was the first central air I'd lived in. Back in the early 70's we had a window unit in our den. That was it.
So now during the winter we are living in conditioned heated air. Just dry and more dry.
It's drying out our sinuses all winter long.
Then in the summer we are living in dry conditioned cool air, continuing the drying process.
The older you get the more time you spend inside "conditioned" air drying out your sinuses.
I bet when you were a kid you stayed outside as much as you could no matter the season and never had a problem.

Does anyone know WTF Larke is talking about? Is he saying BBP is a softhanded city-wussified-girly-man?

Captain
04-10-2014, 12:34 PM
Thumper with allergies! God if that nose got running it could be hazardous to anyone around's health!

I could see them taping around Thumper at the Truck Stop Cafe with that big yellow Haz-Mat ribbon.

Captain
04-10-2014, 12:36 PM
Is he saying BBP is a softhanded city-wussified-girly-man?

No.... But now that you mentioned it.... ;)

Buckrub
04-10-2014, 12:38 PM
Yes. I got them a few years ago also. Every time I go to deer camp, it takes me 3 days to acclimate.

However, there are allergies, and there are intolerances. They are not the same, though we sometimes use allergy to cover both. I have a ton of intolerances (Onions, green bell peppers, some tomato based stuff, hot peppers).....allergies usually cause a true reaction......skin, anaphylactic, etc.

But to answer your question, yes. The body goes through a lot of changes as we age........that's one of them. The other for you is.......your ears grow. :)

Thumper
04-10-2014, 12:59 PM
Hey Cappy .... BITE ME!!

The body goes through a lot of changes as we age........that's one of them. The other for you is.......your ears grow. :)

OH! I guess it affects everyone differently. That explains why my pecker has grown from huge to humongous the past few years! :D

Buckrub
04-10-2014, 01:03 PM
Just goes along with the growth of your imagination, ego, percent of time wrong, poor choices, bad memory.

Thumper
04-10-2014, 01:13 PM
:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin

Buckrub
04-10-2014, 01:35 PM
And you need to brush those teeth!

Thumper
04-10-2014, 04:01 PM
I'll take 'em out and soak 'em tonight. ;)

Bwana
04-10-2014, 04:37 PM
Have had allergies since forever and can tell you it is plain old no fun at all. Things are better now that I am older but then again I have taken allergies shots for roughly 16 or so years which I do think helped. Have not been on shots now for at least 12 years but do take allergy pills at certain seasons of the year which is pretty much all spring and fall.

As a kid I remembered hearing about "seasonal allergies" where some folks are only affected when certain triggers are tripped like oak trees or ragweed pollenating. I always WISHED mine were seasonal as it was a constant battle for me except during the winter. Finally figured out why after doing the allergy testing gig, turns out I am allergic to lots of things so as long as plants are doing their thing there is something causing me problems. Then when that is over with I am lucky enough to be allergic to a whole host of critters as well.

Thank God for modern medicine.

Chicken Dinner
04-10-2014, 06:46 PM
I never got poison ivy until I was 45 and I'd been exposed multiple times.

Thumper
04-10-2014, 07:31 PM
CD, as a kid I used to lie in patches of the stuff wearing nothing but a pair of shorts and it never bothered me in the least. 10-15 years ago I was trimming a large hedge in my backyard that had a bunch of poison ivy in it and I was COVERED with the crap! Arms, face, neck ... it was miserable. Now I'm afraid of the stuff and steer clear of it if I spot it in time.

BarryBobPosthole
04-10-2014, 07:33 PM
Interesting you bring up poison ivy. I wasn't allergic to it when I was a kid and used to chase one of my cousins around with it when he'd bug me. then I was helping load firewood that had poison ivy vines on it and got a horrible case of it on my forearms where it got rubbed in real good and after that I couldn't get near it without breaking out. also had a poison sumac allergy for a long time and that was horrible stuff that I had to go get shots for when I'd get into it. Nowadays neither of them bother me much. Poison ivy grows everywhere in Oklahoma and I fight a running battle with it in my yard but now when I get it, it makes a little bit of a rash and goes away soon as I hit the shower and scrub the oil off.

BKB

Buckrub
04-10-2014, 07:44 PM
That's one that doesn't bother me at all. My wife swells up like a red toad if she gets near it. Course, mosquitoes won't light on her, and they eat me up.

Thumper
04-10-2014, 07:52 PM
That's how my dad was Bucky. Skeeters could be chewing up EVERYONE in sight ... but they'd never even land on him.

It's pretty much that way with Lynn and me ... they don't bother me much at all ... but if there's ONE within miles ... it'll chew her up!

Buckrub
04-10-2014, 08:28 PM
She's immune. She grew up in the Grand Prairie of Southeast Arkansas.........rice capital of Earth.

BarryBobPosthole
04-10-2014, 08:51 PM
Now here's a poser. I used to be like you and attract every skeet in the county. You can imagine what it was like in Canada. I'd have bites on my bites. Seven years ago I quit smoking and now I rarely even have to use repellent. Now we have some little japanese bastards here in Oklahoma that have stripedy legs that'll bite your ass in the full midday sun and they still get me if I don't clean out the martin house early enough in the year. But one of the benefits of quitting smoking for me was the skeets stopped harassing me so damn much.
They say that they're attracted in some way by the carbon dioxide you exude. Maybe if you stopped exhaling they'd stop bothering you.

Just a suggestion.

BKB

Buckrub
04-10-2014, 08:55 PM
You'd REALLY like that, now wouldn't you? Wouldn't you?

BarryBobPosthole
04-10-2014, 08:57 PM
I never told you to stop inhaling.

That'd be Clintonesque.

And restrictive.

BKB

Thumper
04-10-2014, 10:25 PM
When I was a young kid, my dad was in a very serious car accident. A semi pulled out of a truck stop across his lane and he drove right under the trailer. It took the whole roof off the car and if he hadn't ducked down into the seat, it would have taken his head off. I think I was about 8-9 years old. Back then, kids weren't allowed in a hospital (to visit) if they were under 12 (no clue when that changed). I remember my mom smuggled me in to see him.

Anyway, after that hospital stay, my dad said mosquitoes never bothered him again. He said from the day he got out of the hospital, they'd never even light on him. That's supposedly when it started and it was that way until the day he died. No clue why.

BarryBobPosthole
04-10-2014, 10:31 PM
Wow. That is something. Wonder what it could have been that changed?

My Dad's deal was he stopped watches. I bought him several over the years and he stopped every one of them. There were auto winders and electric and quartz and regular wind up watches. He stopped them all. Usually took a couple months and they'd just quit. There are many strange things that we don't know the reason for and not all of them are big important questions. Some of them are just cool little things.

BKB

Thumper
04-10-2014, 10:46 PM
Dang! You keep reminding me of stuff! My step-dad did the same thing with watches. He flat could not wear one ... or if he did, it would stop! He had an old watch with a broken band that he just carried around in his pocket. It ran fine in his pocket (should'a bought a "pocket watch") but if he strapped it on his wrist, it would die within a week or so. Now that is REALLY weird ... I'd forgotten all about that until you mentioned it.

As for my dad ... we talked about it often. The only thing we could come up with is maybe some of the meds they used back in the day stayed in his system permanently (or changed his body chemistry somehow). It used to be fun to watch, as there was the odd occasion a mosquito would light on him, but it would just poke around like it was looking for a good spot to bite him, but would eventually give up and fly off without ever piercing the skin.

Buckrub
04-11-2014, 10:30 AM
My wife stops watches too.

Captain
04-11-2014, 02:42 PM
My wife stops traffic....
Just sayin'

DeputyDog
04-11-2014, 03:41 PM
My wife has had allergies all of her life to all kinds of things including just about everything outside. After she got pregnant with our first kid, her allergies almost completely disappeared and stayed that way for the 5 years until she got pregnant again, then they all came back as bad as they were before.

Buckrub
04-11-2014, 03:44 PM
Sounds like she needs ONE more poking, man!