PDA

View Full Version : Heartbleed Bug

Sunshine
04-11-2014, 01:29 AM
If you use any of these, you need to change your passwords.

http://mashable.com/2014/04/09/heartbleed-bug-websites-affected/

And by the way...... You Dufus's forgot my birthday yesterday.

Captain
04-11-2014, 05:05 AM
I started to say something on here about your birthday but I thought that might be one of those things you don't want on the web and you would get mad about it so I didn't.
You are a hard read... :-)
Anyway happy Birf'day
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Niner
04-11-2014, 05:14 AM
Happy belated B'day, gal. :beer:beer:beer:beer:beer
Hope ya had a great one.

Now........what's all this about a bleeding heart bug???? Does that turn ya into a liberal or somesuch????:coffee

Thumper
04-11-2014, 05:26 AM
See what happens? If you were on Facebook, everyone would have known! ;)

Happy Birthday girl!

HideHunter
04-11-2014, 09:26 AM
Happy happy Sunshine. :wave

BarryBobPosthole
04-11-2014, 09:56 AM
Happy birthday Sunshine!

On the Heartbleed thing, I'd read where they are saying NOT to change your passwords until after the sites you use have updated their sites otherwise you'll just make your new passwords vulnerable. Now, how you find out when the sites you use update is another question.

BKB

Sunshine
04-12-2014, 01:35 AM
Any site, you want to see that's been fixed, enter its http here and the site will let you know if its been fixed so you can change your passwords.

http://filippo.io/Heartbleed/

Niner
04-20-2014, 05:58 AM
Some more Heartbleed info.....this from our friends at Trend Micro.....

http://blog.trendmicro.com/heartbleed-vulnerability/

Don’t have heartburn over the Heartbleed Vulnerability

Posted on:April 9, 2014
Posted in:Security
Posted by:Christopher Budd (Global Threat Communications)

There’s a new security issue in the news that many people are worried about. It’s called the “Heartbleed vulnerability.” There’s a lot of confusion around it, especially about what most people should be concerned about and do about it. To help you understand what’s going on and not panic, here are some answers to FAQs (frequently asked questions):

What is the Heartbleed vulnerability?

The Heartbleed vulnerability is a problem that affects SSL, the technology that helps protect your information on the Internet. You’re likely most familiar with SSL when you shop online or enter sensitive information on a site and see the “lock” that tells you your information is protected.

What’s wrong with SSL?

The specific problem here is that there’s a flaw that affects some of the websites that use SSL. This flaw can make it possible for someone to get access to that information that SSL is protecting.

What does this mean for me?

This means that information that you thought was being protected by SSL may not be as safe as you (or anyone) thought. This means that sensitive information like passwords, credit card information, or other personal information could have been exposed to others without your knowing.

How do I fix this?

You don’t. In this case, this isn’t a problem with your computer or devices. It’s a problem that websites have to take care of by fixing SSL on their site.

Can I tell if a site has this problem?

Unfortunately, not really. This is something that only the people running the site can know for sure.

Is there anything I can do to protect myself?

While you can’t protect yourself from this specific issue, you can take some steps to protect yourself from effects that this issue might have. Specifically, you can do the following:

Make sure you’re running up-to-date security software on all your systems.
Watch for suspicious activity of any kind. On your online accounts and your financial accounts.
Change passwords promptly for sites that recommend you do so.

Is there anything else that I should know about this?

This is a new situation and there’s always a lot of confusion and conflicting information in these situations. The important thing is to not panic, follow the steps that we’ve outlined, let the people who can fix this do so, and follow any additional instructions they give.

Niner
04-20-2014, 06:05 AM
ADDITIONALLY......

We are but a tiny spec of a website on the oooolllldddddd Internet....a better analogy might be "Roadkill On The Information Superhighway".

We are staffed with NO IT staff to speak of. I have NO IDEA how to tell if our passwords are secure or insecure.....or even if they are having a good day or not.

That said, for your own security PLEASE DO NOT USE YOUR GOODHUNTING PASSWORD ANYWHERE ELSE ON THE INTERNET!!!

Thank you,
Niner :oldfart