PDA

View Full Version : Heaven is for Real

Bwana
04-17-2014, 03:09 PM
Has anyone else read the book? I did and have to say I found it fascinating though I am sure others with a different set of beliefs may think otherwise. Anyway it appears that there is a moving coming out about the book so here is a trailer to it that I found on another website. (sorry but I have to admit to looking at other websites…please forgive me.)

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8758712/Heaven_is_real_an_you_re_gonna#Post8758712

Food for thought.

LJ3
04-17-2014, 03:39 PM
Feelgood hit of the summer! :)

I find that sort of thing very innersting.

airbud7
04-17-2014, 03:42 PM
Let's talk about baseball
Talk a little small talk
There's gotta be a good joke
That you've heard
Let's talk about NASCARs
Old Hollywood movie stars
Let's talk about anything
Anything in this world
But politics, religion and her

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJgPMuVPGdQ

Buckrub
04-17-2014, 03:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0ZK1DvTBpw&feature=kp

Buckrub
04-17-2014, 03:49 PM
I did that just for Cappy! :)

BarryBobPosthole
04-17-2014, 03:52 PM
I'll have to put that on my reading list. Sounds pretty interesting.
BKB

Bwana
04-17-2014, 04:06 PM
Not looking to start a fight airbud, just an FYI for those who might be interested.

Big Skyz
04-17-2014, 04:56 PM
I read the book a while ago when my students were all buzzing about it. It was pretty interesting, but one also has to remember that it's based on a child's thoughts and memory. Some of it is indeed believable while other things make you stop and realize a little kid's imagination ran wild here and there. It's a quick easy read. Most of y'all can probably read the whole thing in a couple evenings.

Buckrub
04-17-2014, 04:58 PM
I'm betting Posthole can do it in an hour.

airbud7
04-17-2014, 05:22 PM
Not looking to start a fight airbud, just an FYI for those who might be interested.

Im sorry if you feel that way Bwana....I love all your post...except that one^.

Bwana
04-17-2014, 05:40 PM
I seem to be confused and it is late on Friday so Happy Easter to all you dufes.

Captain
04-17-2014, 09:01 PM
I seem to be confused and it is late on Friday so Happy Easter to all you dufes.

Friday??? Confused???? You???? ;-)
I have no clue what this thread is about. And who "she" is?
But then, I thought today was Thursday. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Big Skyz
04-17-2014, 09:14 PM
Captain, that's funny right there. :D

Captain
04-17-2014, 09:17 PM
:D

Bwana
04-17-2014, 10:39 PM
Told you I was confused. :)

BarryBobPosthole
04-18-2014, 07:59 AM
Must be all them turkeys you've been killing that got you confused.

BKB

Buckrub
04-18-2014, 08:55 AM
It is fairly clear to most objective observers that turkeys secrete some kind of odd enzyme that make you crazy.

BarryBobPosthole
04-18-2014, 08:56 AM
Gives you that 1000 yard stare doesn't it?

BKB

Thumper
04-18-2014, 09:15 AM
I know from experience heaven is real ... there's a gal I dated a few times in h/s and I'll guaran-damn-tee you ... SHE was heaven! :D

BarryBobPosthole
04-18-2014, 09:49 AM
Kind of gave me a flashback to 'Paradise by the Dashboard Lights' there Jim.

BKB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmPMMitJDYg

Thumper
04-18-2014, 10:29 AM
Ha ha! I was a fairly big Meatloaf fan myownfineself back in the day. I still have a few of his CD's around here someplace. This might be a good time to dig 'em out for a listen.

The "dashboard lights" reminds me of a Thump story. We've been close friends the past 25 years with a couple here in town. I remember shortly after we met, we were at their house for a NASCAR party and sitting in their livingroom talking. The wife asked us how we met and Lynn proceeded to tell the story and ended with the first night we slept together ... how she went to my house, how romantic I was and then described how she was greeted by a nice array of lighted candles when she entered my bedroom.

The wife then gave her hubby one of "those looks" ... he looked back at her and said, "WHAT??? ... I turned on the domelight!"

I totally cracked up and to this day, I still giggle when I recall that story. :D

LJ3
04-18-2014, 02:48 PM
WTH is WRONG with you people?!?!?!

BarryBobPosthole
04-18-2014, 03:00 PM
What?

BKB

Captain
04-18-2014, 04:55 PM
There is so many things about this thread I don't understand...
I got the original post by Bwana
I did not get or understand AirBuds reply or his second for that matter.
Now LJ's got me scratching my heid....
We went from Heaven is real to Meatloaf????
What's wrong with this picture.

BarryBobPosthole
04-18-2014, 04:57 PM
I thought it was a perfectly natural segue.

BKB

Captain
04-18-2014, 05:00 PM
Must be for you smart people. I was lost after AirBuds song verse.

Thumper
04-18-2014, 06:57 PM
You know sumpin'? I'm being totally honest here. I'm not looking for a battle or an argument ... just relating an observation ... a personal experience (or non-experience).

My heart was stopped seven different times while I was going through my ordeal in the hospital a few years back. I guess, in a way, two of them don't really count ... I was under anesthesia and as I lay unconscious, my heart was stopped as I was transferred to a bypass machine so that surgery could be performed. So, I dunno, maybe I can discount those. (?) The other five times, I had time to "think" ... plan (?) ... and wonder. I remember talking to the docs and nurses in the room. I remember one of the staff standing by with the defibrillator "just in case". I remember thinking, "Ok God ... here's your chance!" No, I wasn't asking God to spare me ... to take care of me ... to not let me die ... I was hoping for some proof that God exists. We've all heard the stories, the "out of body experiences" ... the "I died and saw God before I was revived" ... much like this story.

Nada, zilch, nuttin' ... it didn't happen. Five additional chances and not even a hint. I'll be totally honest, I was kinda hoping to see a "light at the end of the tunnel" ... a sign ... anything. But ... nothing. Heck, I never even made it to the pearly gates to have St. Peter tell me to "turn around" ... which might be why I also didn't get to meet up with Lucifer/Satan ... or any other "fallen angel" so I guess it's all good in the end! I don't know, maybe it was a busy day in heaven and they didn't have time to deal with me ... 'course I'm not sure St. Peter would'a let me through the gate in the first place ... but like I said, I don't recall even having the chance to state my case. ;)

BUT ... you know me ... the a-hole who's always full of questions. I would have been in awe and total wonderment about this story if it weren't for ONE major point ... dad just happens to be a Christian pastor. This kid has been exposed (immersed) to Christian teachings, conversations and the general lifestyle all of his short life. Four years? He's just a "baby" .. that won't hold water, right? I have a 4-year old nephew who can tell you EVERY frigging detail ... right down to the color underwear worn ... of Spider Man! He absorbs that stuff like a sponge. Give me a similar "I saw heaven" experience from some homeless crack whore's kid who's never set foot inside a church ... and we'd REALLY have something to talk about!

As for the book/story ... his description of heaven pretty much fits into the norm when it comes to Christian scripture, stories, paintings, etc. The purple sash ... the "Throne of God" ... it's all stuff he's seen/heard somewhere along the line. AND ... since dad wrote the book, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't "embellish" just a tad here and there to "tidy things up". His dad explains how close he was to his "Pop" and talks of all the things they did together as a kid. Yet, he says the boy knew nothing of him because he'd died 30 years prior. My grandfather died in 1964 ... 20 years before my son was born, but he has heard many stories about "Pop". (coincidentally, we called him Pop also) The "unborn sister"? Kids remember EVERYTHING ... the subject was NEVER discussed within earshot? Who knows?

Again ... not looking for a battle ... but it's always been my nature to question things. That's why I always stayed in trouble at Sunday School. I went to church where my very devout Christian grandfather was the preacher ... living a block away from my 3 preacher uncles during my young "formative" years. I was "exposed" ... but when I questioned ... I was given that "stern eye" and simply told "it's what the Bible says." Ummm, sorry Pop ... that didn't answer ANY of my questions.

That said, this is a "feel good" story and I wouldn't purposely take away from that. It makes for a good book and will be a fine movie I'm sure. Like a love story ... one of those movies you watch and come away with that "warm/fuzzy" feeling. I have no problem with that. I just have a bad habit of looking behind the curtain when visiting Oz.

jb
04-18-2014, 08:24 PM
Just a little FYI, the actor who plays Jesus is the son of some friends here in town, he grew up with my kids.
He's also the on in the Volkswagon commercial where two kids head out to Vegas, listening to a Spanish radio station and end up talking Spanish.

jb
04-18-2014, 08:30 PM
Thump you say you never saw"the light" so therefor it's not real, when maybe you should really ask yourself "why didn't I see the light ?"

Buckrub
04-18-2014, 08:38 PM
Thump, a post you probably didn't expect from me:

A) I had a VERY good chance to 'see the light'. I've been asked a million times if I saw it. Nope. Nada. No light, nothing. Zero.

B) My faith doesn't answer all my questions either. Man, do I have a pile of 'em. I doubt I'm worthy of Heaven, in fact I'm pretty sure I'm not.......but if I do make it, here's my request: "Lord, I want a big reclining seat, an endless supply of buttered popcorn and fountain coke, and YOU by my side. I want to see the Beginning, and every single second of everything that ever happened to everyone, in slow mo. I want to be able to stop it and ask 'what were you thinking right there?'......and You can take all the time you want".

I look behind the curtain a LOT more than you think I do. I am not an idiot, regardless of what folks here think. Sometimes I get deep thoughts (ok, not deep like Posthole's or Penguin's, but DEEP for me!), and all this is my question too.

But after thinking of all the possibilities, I've arrived at my conclusion.

You'll have to arrive at yours.

Thumper
04-18-2014, 08:53 PM
There IS no conclusion ... it's a work in progress. The main point is ... nobody ... you ... me ... NOBODY can honestly say they are right and any opposing opinion is wrong. That's a MAJOR point that many people tend to forget. Beliefs are just what they are ... "beliefs". I played my lucky numbers today ... I may truly BELIEVE I'm gonna win the lotto tonight. That does NOT mean I will.

Buckrub
04-18-2014, 09:01 PM
Faith is the substance of things hoped for,
the evidence of things unseen.

You don't have Faith. I do.

Faith is my empirical evidence. You are Doubting Thomas.

I can't prove anything to you empirically in this World. You're right there.

Thumper
04-18-2014, 11:16 PM
When does "faith" become a pipe dream? I have a buddy here in town who plays the lottery every week ... "religiously". He has "faith" that he's going to win millions. I have no clue how many thousands he's spent since he started playing in 1988! He's won a dollar or two here and there ... even a couple of 50's or 100's ... nothing ever big. BUT ... he has "faith" in the system and "KNOWS" ... he "feels" it deep down inside, he's gonna hit the jackpot some day. He has absolutely no doubt. When does his "faith" become an obsession? A pipe-dream? He really can't afford to throw money away the way he does ... but again, he has "faith" it will be returned to him a thousand fold. I think he's nuts and tell him so. BUT ... I guess believing in his "faith" in winning the lottery is less crazy than putting your faith in believing God exists. (I don't mean to sound derogatory here, simply trying to make a point) If you REALLY think about it, I suppose his "faith" makes more sense. I mean, he has SEEN people win the lottery, so he KNOWS it's possible. Do you know of ANYBODY who's been to heaven? (and I don't mean a 4 year old who dreamed it and "thinks" he was there)

Which brings up another point. This kid (subject of this thread) supposedly went to heaven and returned. Why? I never read anywhere where he'd died. Did he flat-line during surgery and get revived? I haven't seen any report of that. He simply had a dream IMHO.

Fido
04-19-2014, 08:43 AM
Well I might as well put in my tooooooooooooooo cents on this thread! I watch the science channel and listen to the theroy of all these scientist's about how the "BIG BANG" jump started everything that is now the universe!! The pics from the Hubble Telescope and all the other info saying how vast the universe is. All this and I'm expected tooo believe that all this "JUST HAPPENED".

DeputyDog
04-19-2014, 10:33 AM
Jim, the thing about "faith" in God and Heaven, is if you are right, you'll never know, and if I'm wrong with my belief, I'll never know. ;)

Buckrub
04-19-2014, 11:53 AM
He'll know.

Thumper
04-19-2014, 03:37 PM
Mission Accomplished. :biggrin