PDA

View Full Version : Hot hide Glue vs Gorilla Glue

BarryBobPosthole
04-18-2014, 03:36 PM
I'm joining two broken pieces of wood together that get some stress. Not a lot but enough that I want the best bond I can get. Has enough surface area to work I think because it's been done before and it held for a few years. Its a guitar headstock that's broke right at the place where the headstock joins the neck. I used Gorilla Glue last time but didn't get enough to get right down in the grain. Someone recommended hot hide glue as a better way to go but I've never used it before.

BKB

jb
04-18-2014, 03:52 PM
A good glue joint will be stronger than the wood itself, hot glue will not do this. If you already tried Gorilla Glue it's not going to work again unless you go back to clean wood.
At this point a good two part epoxy may be your best choice. I've used Brownells Acraglass for a number of projects with great success.

Thumper
04-18-2014, 05:22 PM
You never considered good old fashioned Elmer's the first time? :huh

BarryBobPosthole
04-18-2014, 05:27 PM
This last time I tried Elmers wood glue and it didn't hold worth a damn. I think the pores in the wood are clogged up. It still fits together well, I've just got to get a stronger bond on the surface to surface part of it. And it's in a place you can't really clamp. I may try to jerry rig a clamp of some sort with a c-clamp and couple of pieces of wood but I have got that far yet.

BKB

Thumper
04-18-2014, 05:32 PM
Yep, that's why I said "the FIRST time". Sounds like it's too smooth now. Heck, if it's almost completely "non-porous" now, maybe Super Glue would work.

BarryBobPosthole
04-18-2014, 05:52 PM
I'll take some pics tonight and post 'em. Its not exactly 'smooth'. I think there's plenty of area to bond the pieces together, its just that there's no real way that I can figure out how to clamp the damned pieces so they're tight together the way I want it when it dries. If I could do that, I'm 99% sure it'd be stronger than the original wood.

I've been toying with the idea of tryong to make a clamp with styrofoam and a couple of small pieces of wood so the parts would kind of mold themselves to the clamp ifyouknowwhatImean.

BKB

Niner
04-18-2014, 06:11 PM
I'm with JB on this one. Two-Part Epoxy is probably going to be your best bet this time 'round.

BarryBobPosthole
04-18-2014, 06:14 PM
I see lots of links for using that brand to do bedding but my work computer won't let me look at the links since its mainly about gunsmithing. I'll do some searching on the ipad tonight and see what I can find about it in a wood to wood situation. I assume you just mix the two parts together like any epoxy and clamp the pieces together?

BKB

Thumper
04-18-2014, 07:16 PM
Have you tried Seafoam? ;)

BaseballCoach (Rev A)
04-18-2014, 08:45 PM
Careful with the clamping, too tight and you squeeze all the glue/epoxy out of the joint. Won't hold up no matter what you use.