PDA

View Full Version : Ya' just never know! Another interesting estate sale find.

Thumper
04-20-2014, 09:03 AM
No fair peeking (IF you even have a clue WHERE to peek).

I found an item at an estate sale this this weekend and had absolutely no clue at all as to what it was. BUT ... "something" in my pea-brain clicked and I picked it up. It wasn't even on display in any way, but was found in the back of a drawer in a sewing table for an old Singer. I couldn't even fathom how it would be used for sewing, but I thought it was just too cool to leave behind. It's solid brass (heavy) and I thought maybe it was a plumb bob. I asked around and everyone agreed that's what it probably was. When I checked out, they simply gave it to me ... thought it was a game piece or something.

Well, I brought it home and did a bit of research. Of course, it's kinda hard to research something if you have no clue what you're searching for ... but I just had that "feeling" it was something cool ... I just had to figure it out. I finally hit on it and yes, it really IS cool! I had no clue what it was worth (couldn't find another just like it) so, I threw it up on eBay at almost midnight last night. I listed it as a 7-day auction as this is what I always do if I'm clueless to something's worth. I figure I'll let the market determine it's value. Well, by 2:00 am the bidding was up to $35.00 and there are now four "watchers" waiting in the wings to pounce! I'm hoping it will turn into an interesting week!

Any o'youse old-timers want to wager a guess? Here's what I THOUGHT it was (but wasn't positive). An old plumb bob ...

http://www.gilai.com/images/items/350_big.jpg 2906

Here's a pic of mine. It's six-sided and each side is numbered ~ 1-6. It's 1 3/4" long and solid brass.

2902 2903

2904 2905

Niner
04-20-2014, 09:28 AM
Is it one of those "top" thingies that the Jewish kids play with at Chanukah time. a dreidle, or dreedle or draydle or heck I can't spell it.

Thumper
04-20-2014, 09:46 AM
Dang Niner ... you're about as close asd you can get without hitting it right on the nose. You're talking about a dreidel ... a Jewish game usually played on Hanukkah. This is actually a much earlier version and is highly collectible. It's called a "teetotum" and comes from the 1800's. Back when gambling was outlawed, they took the place of dice. From wikipedia: The original 1860 version of "The Game of Life" used a teetotum in order to avoid the die's association with gambling. The definition I found for teetotum is: A teetotum (or T-totum) is a form of gambling spinning top.

They were VERY popular with the troops in WWI and could be carried easily in a pocket. It transformed into a game called ... (from Webster's) ... Put & Take - "any of various games of chance played with a teetotum or with dice in which players contribute to a pool and take from it according to the instructions on the top or dice."

Teetotum for Put & Take ....

http://media.vam.ac.uk/media/thira/collection_images/2006AA/2006AA7099.jpg

Here's a pic of a Dreidel Mr. Niner ...

http://rockloveaustin.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/dreidel.jpg?w=490&h=306

Thumper
04-20-2014, 09:53 AM
The cool part, it appears there are collectors all over the world and these things are highly desirable. Right now my high bidder is in the Netherlands. It'll be fun to see how it all pans out. I love my new "job" ... interesting, educational, entertaining and ... many times, profitable! :D

Captain
04-20-2014, 09:58 AM
Put/Take dice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thumper
04-20-2014, 10:06 AM
Dang ... you're too slow Cappy. Yep, that's what it developed into. I had no clue they actually went so far back in history.

According to the Encyclopedia Britannica article on teetotums, "the hexagonal (six-sided) teetotum was known to the ancient Greeks and Romans." The earliest teetotums were used as a substitute for dice, so the sides of the top would be numbered, usually 1 to 6.

Captain
04-20-2014, 10:24 AM
Dang ... you're too slow Cappy. Yep, that's what it developed into.

Yea, saw your post and went off to try to find some pictures to post. Also was watching a movie call The River Way and was a bit slow on posting.
I posted and when it reloaded it showed that you two Gomers had already figured it out....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thumper
04-27-2014, 02:21 AM
SOLD .... $35.95! :D