PDA

View Full Version : Easter bird

BarryBobPosthole
04-20-2014, 02:19 PM
Just put the Easter bird in the Egg. After rubbing the lotion on its body of course.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
04-20-2014, 04:56 PM
We're doing a ham here. Slow down long enough to show us final product before you dig in.

BarryBobPosthole
04-20-2014, 05:52 PM

Haven't carved it yet but looks pretty dang tasty.

BKB

Arty
04-20-2014, 09:58 PM
That looks purdy tasty!

LJ3
04-21-2014, 09:32 AM
Did you smoke it or roast it or both?

BarryBobPosthole
04-21-2014, 10:32 AM
This actually doesn't have any smoky flavor at all, so its just using it as a roaster. Frees up the oven for other stuff. I just put a pizza stone over the grill to insulate the bottom of the pan from the extreme heat, and the put the turkey on a roasting pan. Put two beers in the roasting pan for moisture and it comes out tender and juicy as you'll have in a roasted bird. Next time I'm going to try brining a bird. Didn't have the time or energy to do it this time.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
04-21-2014, 11:24 AM
I'd also recommend trussing the bird up like a rotisserie chicken when you cook it on the grill. It snugs everything up and provides for very uniform cooking.

BarryBobPosthole
04-21-2014, 01:03 PM
I agree. The legs on this one were already trussed up and I just used a tooth pick to pin the wings to the sides (that's the green thing on the side where the color from the toothpick bled into the turkey).

BKB

Thumper
04-21-2014, 01:53 PM
Hey P-hole ... interested in any of this stuff? Lynn just cooked a turkey last week (I'm still eating sammiches for lunch) and she brined it. She then brought some packages of brine up to my office and asked if I could sell them on eBay. I set them aside and haven't even thought about doing anything with them. Seems she bought about 10 of them and was going to mail them out as Christmas gifts. But ... guess what? She never got around to it. So now we have brining kits coming out our ears! I have no clue what she paid for 'em, but I'm having a pennies-on-the-dollar "blow-out" sale this week! ;)

Here's what they are. I assume these are the only flavors she has. They belong in the kitchen, so don't ask me any more details. :D

2921 2922

BarryBobPosthole
04-21-2014, 02:05 PM
Heck yeah, Jim. I'm always open to trying stuff like that. Just email with how much for the kits and shipping and I can hit your Paypal account with the payment. also let me know what flavors you have.

Any Jack Daniels flavored ones?

BKB

Thumper
04-21-2014, 02:40 PM
Those are the two she brought up to my office, so I assume those are the only flavors. I'll dig around, but I'll prolly have to wait 'til she gets home to find out where her stash is. I don't like to spend too much time in the kitchen unless it's just to sit down and eat don't'chaknow. ;)

I know they have a giant zip-lok bag in 'em. She puts the turkey in the bag, pours in the brine, zips up the bag, sets the whole mess in a cooler, covers it with ice, and lets it set overnight. She did a 15 pounder last week and I think she brines them 1 hr/lb.

LJ3
04-21-2014, 04:19 PM
BBP, Oklahoma called. They're pulling your man card.

Trav
04-21-2014, 04:24 PM
I bought my brining bags at William Sonoma and I use them all the time.

BarryBobPosthole
04-21-2014, 05:02 PM
I'll bet they'd be good to soak your feet after a long day too.

BKB