PDA

View Full Version : Winch for atv

Bwana
04-20-2014, 09:43 PM
Useless or necessary accessory?

Chicken Dinner
04-20-2014, 10:19 PM
I put a Warn on mine and have never had to use it. I guess it's sort of like insurance.

Thumper
04-20-2014, 10:44 PM
I never wanted to spend those big bucks and always carried a Black Max with me, but like CD ... never once used it. As many swampy situations I'd get into, I thought for sure I'd need it from time to time, but never got that stuck. I liked the idea of it's portability/versatility. I could store it on either my front or rear rack ... or throw it in a cargo box. If I did get stuck, I could hook it to either the front or rear to pull myself out in either direction. If someone else I was "wheeling" with got stuck, I could hand it to them to use. I also always carried a nylon tow-strap in my utility box in case I needed a tow or had to tow someone else. I figured I could also hook it onto the hook on the Black Max in case I needed an extra long pull strap to winch myself out or to wrap around a tree, rock, etc. as an anchor point. I sold my 4-wheeler but still have the Black Max I bought through Cabela's (they don't make 'em anymore). I keep thinking about throwing it up on eBay, but always forget to drag it out of the garage. If you want it, it's available.

Can't find any big pics, but here's what I'm talkin' about.

http://www.nvginc.com/images/BMAX031r.GIF http://www.rodsaver.com/images/WINCH.jpg

I see some guy is selling his on eBay right now for $74.00.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/new-BLACK-MAX-ATV-RATCHET-WINCH-/251494484513?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a8e3d4a21&vxp=mtr

Bwana
04-20-2014, 11:10 PM
Now that looks handy Thumper & the idea that you can use it fore or aft makes it all the better. So how many feet of strapping does that thing have? Is the 6000 the weight capacity?

I'm interested, but what size & type of atv did you use it on?

Thumper
04-21-2014, 07:13 AM
Bwana, it's been so long I don't remember the exact details. As I said, I never had to use it, but as CD stated, I carried it for "insurance". If I remember correctly, the capacity is about 1000 lbs. (not sure what the 6000 means) ... sounds low, but that's "pulling" not "lifting". (I once pulled my buddy's broken down Volkswagen home with a couple of beach towels tied together.) ;)

Again, if memory serves me correctly, the strap was something like 20-25 feet. I also always carried one of those nylon-strap type tow straps in my utility box (they come in all lengths) in case I needed to tow another ATV or in case I needed a tow myself (HIGHLY unlikely and basically impossible considering I had a HONDA 4Trax ... the Toyota of 4-wheelers! ;) ) I figured with the strap on the winch, combined with the length of the tow strap, I had plenty for most ANY situation. I also didn't have to bother with battery hook-ups, wiring, switches, etc. It's not high-tech or the best whiz-bang option in the world, just added a little peace of mind knowing I had it along. I'd normally just hook it across my rear rack, ratchet it tight and that's where it stayed ... unless I had a big cargo box strapped on my rack, then I'd just move it to the front rack or stick it in the cargo box.

Again, it may not be the cat's meow for ALL situations ... just a nice little piece of "insurance". I'll dig it out of the garage and post a pic here later this morning. I haven't laid eyes on it since I sold my 4-wheeler. It "should" look like new.

Fido
04-21-2014, 07:46 AM
Got one on my Honda Foreman, dragging a deer up out of a deep ravine was the first time I used it, good insurance if you do any amount of trail riding.

LJ3
04-21-2014, 09:04 AM
I put a Cabelas 1500lb winch on mine and I only used it a few times. Those few times, it was my only option and was a lifesaver! Never had any problems with it at all.

Thumper
04-21-2014, 09:56 AM
I dug mine out of the garage (it had my tow strap with it) and snapped some pics for you Bwana. DO NOT feel pressured to buy this thing ... I can always list it on eBay as I'd originally planned. I just figured I'd offer a much less expensive alternative. Anyway, it shows a capacity of 900 lbs. which, the way the industry lists capacities, should equate to 2700 lbs. (they normally rate them at 1/3 actual capacity for legal reasons) As stated earlier, there's a BIG difference between "lifting" and "pulling" capacities. I looked it up on the net and the strap on the Black Max is 21' long. I believe my tow strap is 20' - 25' (I didn't measure it). Anyway, I "think" I paid $85-$90 for the winch at Cabela's back in the day, but I could be lying ... I honestly don't remember other than it was just shy of $100.

The guy on eBay must have a store or something as he's already sold one (it's marked "clearance") and has a second one just like it for sale now at the same price. What I'll do (IF you want it) is match his total price (including shipping) and throw in the tow strap (I never used it either that I can remember). The tow strap has a 10,000 lb. capacity. (marked for legality at 3,333 lbs) The guy on eBay is selling the Black Max alone for $74.00 total (with shipping).

Sold: http://www.ebay.com/itm/new-BLACK-MAX-ATV-RATCHET-WINCH-/251455020267?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a8be31ceb&vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=MXhJnGG41pXxq8m0002m6%252BT08Fk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Another listed: http://www.ebay.com/itm/new-BLACK-MAX-ATV-RATCHET-WINCH-/251494484513?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a8e3d4a21&vxp=mtr

Here's what you'll get. It's pretty heavy, but fits perfectly in a Priority Mail Flat Rate box ... so you'd have it in 2-3 days (depending on zip code). Let me know ... you can think it over, or I can ship it today and with your Good Hunting easy payment plan, you can send a check whenever you feel like it. :D

2913 2914

2915 2916

2917 2918

2919 2920

Bwana
04-21-2014, 10:58 AM
Just curious Jim, does the unit bolt to the rack or does it simply sit on the rack.

FYI - this would be used on my Honda 350.

yellowk9
04-21-2014, 11:50 AM
Looks like you put the curved portion around a bar on your rack and run the strap out to a tree, rock, etc. The tension keeps it in place. When storing you just place it on the rack and clip the hook to the rack and tension it a little. If I had a 4-wheeler this is what I'd have instead of an electric winch. It looks much more versatile.

Thumper
04-21-2014, 12:45 PM
Yeppers, like K-9 said. You simply hook it on the rack and run the strap out to an anchor point. I'd mount it sideways on my rack to store it. Hook it on one side, hook the strap on the other side and crank it down tight. I "THINK" you can also turn the mount around if you don't want to use the curved part to hook on the rack and possibly use a bolt to hook it on your trailer ball mount. (you can see the bolt hole in pic #2 & #5) I never did that as I had a trailer ball on mine. To answer your question, it "sits" on the rack ... if you bolt it on you lose the versatility (portability) of moving it around (front to rear, etc.)

Buckrub
04-22-2014, 06:56 PM
Can't imagine not having a winch. I have a Warn 3000. I use it often for the few times a year that I go to my buddy's Deer Camp and Swamp Infestation. I've used it at my deer camp, but mostly to pull up tower stands and such. When my motor blew up, I even used it to pull the ATV onto the trailer to get it to the hospital!!!

Thump's come-along will work if you have a tree to tie to. After seeing North Dakota, if you DO get a winch, I suggest getting a 325 mile cable!!

Thumper
04-22-2014, 07:05 PM
Thump's come-along will work if you have a tree to tie to.

Ummm, so what would you hook an ELECTRIC winch to? ;)

Buckrub
04-22-2014, 07:40 PM
Same tree.

BarryBobPosthole
04-22-2014, 07:53 PM
You could hook it to the winch on your buddy's ATV.
Then you wouldn't have to crank it.

BKB

Thumper
04-22-2014, 08:10 PM
Why do I have a mental picture of Bucky hooking his winch up to his buddy's ATV ... then pulling him into the same mire? :D

Bwana
04-22-2014, 08:29 PM
Thumper, still considering the offer but waiting to hear from my brother in law before committing as he might have a deal for me. Trouble is his wife just had a baby last night so my situation isn't a priority for some reason.

BarryBobPosthole
04-22-2014, 08:33 PM
Hope fully the winch wasn't required in that deal. Otherwise you'd need to get a used price on it.

BKB

Thumper
04-22-2014, 09:00 PM
No problem at all Bwana. No rush. Heck, it's been sitting pretty much forgotten in my garage for the past few years and this thread is the thing that reminded me I should try to do something with it. I'll hold it until you give me a definite "no".

Bwana
04-22-2014, 09:51 PM
Thanks Thump, hope to see him this weekend.