PDA

View Full Version : Well this sucks!

jb
04-21-2014, 02:42 PM
Had a meet and greet with my new doctor this AM. (old one retired) Nice guy, friends with two of my sons .After a few questions and review of my med. history he gives me a BP check and listens to the old ticker.
He stops and says "this doesn't sound right" so calls for an EKG.
Looks at it and says your heart is in AFIB and sends me next door the the hospital ER.
ER checks me in, does all the necessary stuff, then calls in the heart doc who looks at everything and says yup, that's what it's doing alright.
Talked about admitting me for the night, but then after checking a little more says, it's pretty typical AFIB, nothing really serious, go home and well call you tomorrow for a few more tests.
So I'll know more tomorrow, sounds like they want to treat it with drugs vs. going in an fixing it. I now I wait.
It sucks growing old

Arty
04-21-2014, 02:51 PM
Ruh roh! Take care if yourself and get better.

Is it too late for the polar plunge up there? That'd prolly reset the ole ticker!

johnboy
04-21-2014, 02:52 PM
You got it all right. Growing old ain't for sissies! Good luck for tomorrow.

Thumper
04-21-2014, 03:00 PM
Dang Bubba! Get it handled and keep us informed. Good that they caught it ... many times there are no symptoms ... except a stroke maybe! Don't take it lightly ... just plan on an addition to the old pharmacy bill. :(

Niner
04-21-2014, 03:09 PM
Dang JB, this getting old shit is for the birds!
Good luck, I'll betcha they prescribe a little Metoprolol for ya.

Bwana
04-21-2014, 03:31 PM
Wishing you the best, just be sure to follow-up with the doc the way he told you to.

Thumper
04-21-2014, 04:03 PM
Yeppers Mr. Niner ... I've been taking Metoprolol twice/day for years now. The coma was induced due to my heart rate going bonkers ... been on Metoprolol ever since.

BarryBobPosthole
04-21-2014, 04:26 PM
A year ago last October I flew the whole fam dambly up to Denver, Co for my daughter's wedding. Len was there and can attest to the hubbub going on around us. It was a busy weekend and I had a blast of a time and don't remember stressing at all. But the night we got home I was laying in bed and felt some flutters in my chest. Felt my pulse and it felt like my heart was beating out a bossa nova. Scared the shit out of me which kicked the heart up to the Oscar Mama Frank George level. Woke Julie up and had her take me to the ER. The doc there asked what I did over the weekend and he laughed. Told me there is a syndrome called 'Holiday HEart' and its common in men my age. Its called that because it occurs a lot after daughter's wedding I guess. Its afib, like you gots. I followed up with my cardiologist, (got one of my people right on it ya know) and he put me on metoprolol and my blood pressure has been better since and haven't had much issues with the afib. Still, it can scare the bejeebers out of ya.

The ER doc acted like I must have binged all weekend which I really didn't and it pissed me off. I tweren't no angel but there wasn't any binging either. That's still makes me mad. Whoops, there might have been an afib.

BKB

LJ3
04-21-2014, 04:41 PM
That was more of a constant slow sipping weekend. Gotta pace yourself thru those things :)

Captain
04-22-2014, 07:14 AM
Dang JB. You need to get a handle on that!
Any ticker problem deserves undivided attention!
Let us know.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Niner
04-22-2014, 07:18 AM
When I was on the chemotherapy. They'd change up the drugs periodically, trying to stay ahead of the tumor. Well, there was this one drug (I think it was Ifex), that they gave me. Within about 30 mins one of my nurses came in and I told her "my heart is feeling funny".

Well, with that ALL HELL broke loose. There were so many nurses and equipments in my room that there was hardly room for any of them to turn around. They had me wired up like a Christmas tree, and were monitoring everything. They gave me something that was supposed to put my heart back into sinus rhythm...and it did.

Then they took me to a different floor where they could monitor my heart/lungs/favorite colors 24/7 the rest of the time I was there. It seems that SOME of the folks this happens to (chemo-induced afib) have full-blown heart attacks instead of "just" going into afib.

SOooooooo, I now take 1/2 of a Metoprolol pill twice a day......and prolly will forever.

jb
04-22-2014, 08:03 AM
Niner, that's scary stuff, don't look forward to any of this crap
For now they have me taking Xareto once a day. Will know more today but they're talking stress test and other stuff, maybe even a heart cath.
A 30 day supply of that drug cost me $60, without insurance it would have been $340. Crazy.

Chicken Dinner
04-22-2014, 08:36 AM
Dang JB, take care of yourself!

jb
04-22-2014, 08:53 AM
Doc. called, must not be that critical cause he said he'd see me next Monday.said what I have is pretty typical for older folks (FU)
Anyway, doesn't seem to be slowing me down so I guess I'll just go with the flow for now.

Buckrub
04-22-2014, 09:28 AM
Best of luck, bud.

I took Toprol for years. Stopped it cause my BP was getting too low. Plus, it gave me PVC's......... AFIB is nothing to sneeze at, but sounds like they have it controlled. Keep us posted.