PDA

View Full Version : What's for lunch???....

Big Muddy
04-23-2014, 12:43 PM
I know most of you dufes don't like mudbugs, but wifey really takes care of my love for crawfish.

Had a few left over from last weekend's cookout.

Crawfish 'N Grits Casserole for lunch....prolly supper, too. ;)

Loaded with sautéed onions, bacon bits, green peppers, and cheddar cheese.

Slap 'yo momma !!! ;)

Chicken Dinner
04-23-2014, 12:51 PM
Looks good to me! I had left over Easter ham sandwich....

Big Muddy
04-23-2014, 01:00 PM
Well, CD, I mighta lied about having enough left over for supper. ;)

Big Skyz
04-23-2014, 01:36 PM
I can't see anything in there that I wouldn't like. All sounds good to me.

BarryBobPosthole
04-23-2014, 02:06 PM
Looks to have a heapin' helpin' of cayenne pepper or Tony's over the top of it too. Yum!

Eddie, I planted the pepper plants this year to make another big batch of pepper sauce.

BKB

LJ3
04-23-2014, 02:52 PM
Well don't waste it on Eddies candy ass this time. Bring that stuff to Virginny!

BarryBobPosthole
04-23-2014, 03:08 PM
I'll send you a bottle. Just get a hanky handy.

BKB

Buckrub
04-23-2014, 04:08 PM
Tony's. Harumph.

Cavender's.........makes Tony cry.

Big Muddy
04-23-2014, 04:36 PM
Nope, not Tony's....found some new stuff....Juneau's Cajun Blend....dont have the shaker bottle handy, but I think theyre outta Mansura, LA.

Phole, send me approx. 3 drops of your new hot sauce....thatll last me about 5 years....that sheeit is HOT !!!

Give my other portion to Len....I bet he'll join the candy azz club, after swallowing a couple of drops of that dayum stuff. ;) ;););)

Buckrub
04-23-2014, 04:47 PM
Posthole P. Yuppie is who mentioned Tony's.

Big Muddy
04-23-2014, 05:38 PM
Maybe I can get wifey to try fixing a Crappie Grit Casserole. ;)
Slipped off for a short crappie session this afternoon....caught about 15 like these two.
Just shows that I'm not racist....caught equal numbers of both black and white crappie. ;)

Buckrub
04-23-2014, 05:44 PM
Both appear to be white crappie, one male (darker in spawn time) and other female. But I can't really see well that far.

BarryBobPosthole
04-23-2014, 05:46 PM
Both look like filets with the skin and bones still on to me. When I look at 'em it's like looking at one of those diagrams of a hog with all the cuts in dotted lines.

and Tony's is hardly yuppie ya danged Arkie. Its pretty much a coonass standard in some parts of Amurica.

And Cavender's is .......cough.....GREEK seasoning salt. Bend over Plato.

BKB

Big Muddy
04-23-2014, 05:59 PM
Nope, Bucky, top one is a spawning black crappie male....no black vertical bands on the sides, just random spots....also, count the dorsal spines....black crappie have 5 or less.

Bottom pic is non-spawning white male....just hasn't turned black from spawning, yet....notice the faint black vertical bars on his side....also, count the dorsal spines....5 or more is a white crappie.

Whenever I'm in doubt, the surest way to identify them is to just spread out the dorsal fin and count the spines....they are prickly to the touch of your finger.

I didn't take the pics to necessarily display the dorsal spines, but they are vivid in both pics.

Also, look at the ragged bloody tail in the top photo....he's been sweeping/protecting the nest with his tail.

Bottom photo shows no ragged tail, at all.

Crappie class is now dismissed. ;););)

Buckrub
04-23-2014, 06:14 PM
Cavender's is made in Harrison, AR, not Greece. Tony's is in Louisiana of all places.

Ed, you know more than I do. I thought I counted five....and I know the males get dark and others have shown pics of "white males" and looked similar. I only care cause black ones fight harder. They taste the same to me.

Captain
04-23-2014, 06:20 PM
Careful Eddie, Bucky will go have a friend that has a cousin that knows a feller that met a wildlife biologist that is now retired and only did animals not fish, that will dispute that and tell you it's a shell cracker. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Big Muddy
04-23-2014, 06:24 PM
Yep, Bucky, just count the prickly spines....taste exactly the same....and, you are correct, sir, black crappie are much more fierce fighters....sorta like the difference in getting a little kiss on the cheek, and getting bitch-slapped, followed by a deep tongue-twisting French kiss. ;)

Big Muddy
04-23-2014, 06:27 PM
Careful Eddie, Bucky will go have a friend that has a cousin that knows a feller that met a wildlife biologist that is now retired and only did animals not fish, that will dispute that and tell you it's a shell cracker. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I just spewed my afternoon coffee. ;)

Buckrub
04-23-2014, 06:36 PM
No, he won't.

BarryBobPosthole
04-23-2014, 07:30 PM
Cavender's is made in Harrison, AR, not Greece. Tony's is in Louisiana of all places.

Ed, you know more than I do. I thought I counted five....and I know the males get dark and others have shown pics of "white males" and looked similar. I only care cause black ones fight harder. They taste the same to me.

It may be made in Denmark for all I care. All I know is on the label its says "Cavender's GREEK Seasoning". I ain't puttin' that on my mudbugs.

BKB

Buckrub
04-23-2014, 07:32 PM
I put it on most everything. And I do care where it's made. The formula was Greek, I guess. You're strange.

HideHunter
04-23-2014, 08:37 PM
Love me some mudbugs. Onliest way I ever had 'em was biled. Neat story on Cavenders. We were experimenting with seasonings for a new baked catfish menu item when we had the restaurant. Folks stumbled on Cavenders when they were down in FL. for the winter. We didn't get it up here at the times so it became our "secret seasoning". People absolutely went wild for it. We sold literal thousands. One of our competitors paid $350 to have it analyzed. :D Fast forward to 1997. I was guiding on the Governor's Pheasant Hunt and who did I draw but the founder and CEO of Cavenders. Cool. ;)

Big Muddy
04-24-2014, 02:21 AM
Hide, I posted this pic earlier....these were some of the HUGE bugs from last weekend's boilt crawfish cooking.

Five of us guys finished off nearly 60 pounds in one afternoon....we'd eat, go rest, eat some more, go rest, etc., etc. !!! ;)

Thumper
04-24-2014, 08:52 AM
Dang! I love lobster, but to be honest, have never messed with crawfish. I didn't know they got that big! Heck, I could eat those things! I HATE working for my food as I want to EAT ... not crack, cut, scrape, dig, pull and wrestle with my food first. I love crab legs, but refuse to eat the damn things unless Lynn digs the meat out of the shells and puts it on my plate. Same with peal & eat shrimp ... I love shrimp, but they better be "ready to eat" before I'll mess with them. Same with fish, filet or nothing for me. Heck, I WILL cut around the bone on a nice porter house, but that's about the limit for me. Ha! Even when we order wings, I eat the "drummies", she eats whatever that other thingy is called ... with the TWO frigging bones inside. ;)

Big Muddy
04-24-2014, 09:45 AM
Haha....Thump, most folks who really love the bugs(like me), can eat 'em, as fast as I can grab 'em off the plate, and put 'em in my mouth.

To take all the work outta eating them, however, it is absolutely essential that lots of butter be added to the boiling water....makes them slip right outta their shell.

Takes only a few minutes practice, and you'll be eatin' bugs and suckin' heads, in no time, at all. ;)

Sorta hard to see them, but watch the 4th guy from the far left, and the girl (5th from far left)....the girl ended up winning it....they know how to eat bugs !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVXzTV8iwa8

Thumper
04-24-2014, 09:52 AM
She looks Asian. ;)

Big Muddy
04-24-2014, 09:53 AM
She looks Asian. ;)

Yep, and she's eating those bugs with BOTH hands !!! ;)

Thumper
04-24-2014, 09:56 AM
They KNOW how to work stuff like that. That's why I take my own along if we're eating crab, etc. :biggrin