PDA

View Full Version : Nice little tornado....

Big Muddy
04-25-2014, 09:15 AM
This one popped up just south of me yesterday afternoon....thankfully, no damage.

BarryBobPosthole
04-25-2014, 09:51 AM
Seeing that truck driving down the highway in front of that funnel reminds me of a Thump story. When I was in Uncle Sam's Air Force my squadron was camped in a barley field a dozen or so mile outside of Waco, Tx playing in an exercize that lasted a month. I-35 ran almost right by the place we were. It was April so we'd had so much rain that we'd turned that field into a mud pit. Anyway, we had a big thnderstorm roll through with those really strong straight line winds. My NCOIC and I were standing in the door of a quonset hut looking at the storm when a semi that was headed down the highway flipped right over on its side from the wind. You've never seen the like of sparks as that thing skidded on it's side down the highway. We hopped in a deuce and a half and drove over to see if he needed help and the driver had already popped up out of the cab, white as a sheet.

One of those freaky things you never forget.

BKB

Niner
04-26-2014, 04:41 AM
When I was in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club, we were anchored just off of Ft Lauderdale, FL.
They came over the ship's intercom saying something about a tornado and to close all door and hatches to the outside.

Well OF COURSE I had to get a look at what was going on. I got a peek outside and saw a big water spout about a mile or so away from us. Pretty cool looking thing when your on an aircraft carrier.....not so much if I'd been in a little fishing boat.

BarryBobPosthole
04-26-2014, 09:08 AM
I used to sit on the beach at Biloxi beach and watch the waterspouts out on the edge of the Mississippi Sound. Sometimes there'd be four or five of them at a time. Once they'd hit the shallow water of the sound they'd dump about a billion gallons of water they'd picked up and just poof, disappear.

BKB