PDA

View Full Version : This'll make you change your drawers....

Big Muddy
04-29-2014, 12:21 PM
Had a buddy get caught in one of yesterday's storms, and an electrical wire fell across his truck, while he was inside it.

He said the only damage to the interior was his driver's seat. ;)

Chicken Dinner
04-29-2014, 12:28 PM
Man, that would get your attention. I'm thinking I would have had the opposite reaction.

HideHunter
04-29-2014, 12:29 PM
Whew.. I'd say. :hair

Bwana
04-29-2014, 12:30 PM
Talk about an attention-getter! Glad to hear he is alright.

I'm guessing he was smart enough to stay in the vehicle or was able to drive out from under the wire. Every now and then I hear stories up here of folks who have tangled electrical lines with farm implements and sadly many folks try to depart their grounded vehicle with disastrous results.

Big Skyz
04-29-2014, 12:45 PM
Son-of-a...that did leave a mark!

Thumper
04-29-2014, 12:56 PM
Bwana is right and it's worth mentioning again here JUST IN CASE anyone here doesn't know that. If you find yourself in a situation like that, DO NOT get out of the vehicle.

Actually, I don't think Bwana's statement is 100% correct, the truck (or farm tractor, etc) is on rubber tires and is NOT grounded. Once you step out of the vehicle, YOU become the ground path.

BarryBobPosthole
04-29-2014, 01:20 PM
That's actually why the electricity didn't fry the computer in the engine.

BKB

Big Muddy
04-29-2014, 01:34 PM
A few years back, I was pulling a spray tank with an articulated 40 foot wide spray boom, with one side in the raised position, to maneuver around a power supply pole for an electric irrigation well, at the end of the soybean field.

I had one small vent window open on the tractor cab, and some day'um yellow jackets swarmed inside....I started swatting at them like a spastic fool, and forgot all about the raised spray boom.

The end of the spray boom caught the over-head power supply line, and broke it loose from the pole....it fell across the top of the tractor cab, and just laid there, sparking like a roman candle.

I didn't move an inch!!!....engine was still running, transmission still in gear, my foot was on the clutch, and one hand on the steering wheel.

With my free hand, I SLOWLY pulled out my cellphone from my shirt pocket and called our rural electric office....I explained my situation to them, and they said don't move or touch anything in the cab.

So, I sat there, in that exact same position for about 45 minutes....I mean, I did NOT move a muscle, until their service man got there!!!

He disconnected the power, and I got off the tractor....I went to a nearby tree, and I bet I pee'd for 5 minutes. ;)

Funny thing is, their policy is to charge for a service call, unless it's caused by an act of God....I told the service man that God made those day'um yellow jackets....we had a good laugh about it, and I never received a bill from them. ;)

airbud7
04-29-2014, 05:16 PM
Wow Muddy^....Thanks for sharing...

Arty
04-29-2014, 08:26 PM
THAT would be skeery!

Bwana
04-29-2014, 10:55 PM
Thump is correct, I misspoke about the grounding issue.