PDA

View Full Version : CFL light bulb life expectancy ....

Thumper
04-29-2014, 02:40 PM
Years ago (don't remember how many), I converted most of our FREQUENTLY USED lighting to CFL bulbs. I know the package says there's a life expectancy of 5 years, but I couldn't tell you how long it's been since I changed a CFL bulb in this house. In just the past week, I've had 5 bulbs burn out! In fact, there is a lamp on both sides of the sink in our master bathroom and the one on the left burned out Saturday. The one on the right burned out this morning! I'm guessing I changed over to CFL's 5 years ago (heck, it could have been 6,7 or 8 years ago for all I know). The ones that went out in the past week are ALL in lamps we use daily ... bathroom, my office, bedroom ceiling fan and the light over my garage door that stays on all night, every night.

I can't believe they've been going out on an almost daily basis this past week. I'm not complaining mind you ... they've lasted MUCH longer than the old incandescent bulbs would have. It's just astonishing to me that they lasted the same exact length of time. I'd call that consistancy! (or coincidence?)

jb
04-29-2014, 03:26 PM
They should last longer, you pay 3 times as much for them.
I just bought two pack of GE energy smart CFL's and they cost me $11.
Box says they have a 9 year life to them, we'll see.

Thumper
04-29-2014, 03:50 PM
I can buy tons of them at these estate sale for pennies on the dollar. EVERYONE has spare bulbs in the garage or hall closet. The way mine are going out this week, I should probably stock up! Yep they cost more up front, but they last longer AND use less energy for the same amount of light. I'd say they pay for themselves pretty easily.

airbud7
04-29-2014, 04:04 PM
Heck....I bought a new pack of 8...2 were bad off the rip...I like old stuff/...

BarryBobPosthole
04-29-2014, 04:10 PM
We converted, like Thumper, several years ago to CFL bulbs. Never had a problem with them. I mean, they go out after a time, but they last so much longer than regular incandescent bulbs it ain't even funny.

They are expensive though. Expensive enough that I'd consider taking them with me if I moved.

BKB

Thumper
04-29-2014, 04:26 PM
Ha ha ha! Barry ... I've thought the same thing! I have a big drawer FULL of the old incandescent bulbs. I mean, they were still good, I simply replaced them. No reason to throw them away. I always had the thought in the back of my mind I'd switch 'em back if I ever sold my house! 'Course now, like I said, I can pick 'em up for pennies at these estate sales so it's no big deal anymore.

I have a light over my garage that stays on all night. To change it, I have to climb on a ladder with a screwdriver and take the cover apart, replace the bulb, then put it all back together. It was a PITA and bulbs would only last me 2-3 months! The CFL I put in there YEARS ago just now went out for the first time. Just saving that hassle alone was worth the replacement cost.

BarryBobPosthole
04-29-2014, 04:53 PM
If I had it to do over again, I'd wire my whole house for LED lighting. More expensive up front but you have a LOT more options and with the bulb life and low cost, it pays for itself over time. something like 50 year normal bulb expectancy. That's insane. I switched over to LED lights on my marine aquarium and the difference it's made is amazing. No heat, they don't dim over time, and the selection of colors and output is much more than what you get with VHO or any 'neon' light. ONE bulb change, which I was doing once a year with my old VHOs, pays for an entirely new LED lighting system.

BKB

Buckrub
04-29-2014, 05:12 PM
Many of my CFL's go out faster than incandescent. Some last longer. No way they're worth 1/4 the price.

I'd like LED's in the camper. Way too dark for these old eyes.

BarryBobPosthole
04-29-2014, 05:24 PM
They have some good options over at Lowe's, Bucky. I put some under the cabinet indirect LEDs in our kitchen and they basically stay on 24X7. Makes for a handy night light too.

BKB

airbud7
04-29-2014, 05:32 PM
Yea^...LED is the future...Even TV's are better/less power...

Arty
04-29-2014, 08:29 PM
All youse nay sayers haven't said a word about the savings on the electric bill side. I think they are worth it.

BarryBobPosthole
04-29-2014, 09:02 PM
They've worked for me Arty. I've no complaints.

BKB

Thumper
04-29-2014, 09:44 PM
All youse nay sayers haven't said a word about the savings on the electric bill side. I think they are worth it.

So much for your reading comprehension! I said that in my second post on this thread. ;)

Yep they cost more up front, but they last longer AND use less energy for the same amount of light.

Bwana
04-29-2014, 11:00 PM
You gents might be all enamored with them but I have been buying the old incadecent bulbs whenever I can. I like my lights to come on when I hit the switch, not 2 minutes later.

Thumper
04-30-2014, 06:20 AM
Curmudgeon. ;)

But true, that slight delay (I know 2 mins. was an exaggeration) took some getting used to at first, but I hardly notice it anymore. They're not ideal, I'll agree, but I believe the benefits out-weigh the negatives. I think Barry may be on the right track with LEDs ... they're exploding nowadays ... the new cars have 'em everywhere. BUT ... wait 'til you have to replace one'a those expensive-ass puppies! (I'm talkin' auto parts here) You'll be in for a shock.

Chicken Dinner
04-30-2014, 08:04 AM
No doubt they last longer. However, my experience has been that they don't last any where near what's advertised. I've never done the math either, but I highly doubt you save any money on your electric bill once you factor in how much more expensive they are. If I was a betting man, I'd say it's breakeven at best.

BarryBobPosthole
04-30-2014, 08:29 AM
Then you'd be wrong, moose breath. there's plenty of science behind clf bulbs and their energy savings and there's plenty of denial going around too. I guess if the nays say it often enough, then it'll eventually become true. the numbers are actually pretty cut and dry. The world changes. Try to keep up. Of course there's downsides too.

BKB

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/translating-uncle-sam/stories/cfl-vs-incandescent-battle-of-the-bulb

Chicken Dinner
04-30-2014, 08:47 AM
Look, I use them. I just think they're too damned expensive and would like to see a little more price competition. Your link says that over 8,000 hours a CFL uses 25% of the energy of an incandescent. Yet, they're more than 4 times expensive. If they last long enough to make up the difference, than I'm good.

Thumper
04-30-2014, 08:56 AM
To tell you the truth ... I don't know persactly how long mine have lasted. Just the fact I've lost track of all time regarding changing out that dang bulb over my garage makes it a plus for me. Are they ideal? No. But another factor that hasn't been mentioned is heat. We run our a/c most of the year. Leave a lamp on for a few minutse, then try to unscrew that bulb with your fingers. (expect blisters) I can grab a CFL while it's on with no problem. It ain't cold, but it MUCH cooler. Multiply that heat by all the lights in your house and you could need a second a/c unit! 'Course youse Yankees can heat your house with them in the winter! ;)

The biggest factor I've read about is they are sensitive to cycling. If you turn a light on & off constantly, ya' might be better off with the incandescent. If you have CFL burning and leave the room for a few minutes and are going to return shortly, it's more efficient to leave the lights on rather than turning them off for a few minutes, then back on again. It drastically cuts their lifespan.

All that said, I've been extremely satisfied with the difference it's made for us.

Thumper
04-30-2014, 09:00 AM
According to Wiki ... CFLs typically have a rated service life of 6,000–15,000 hours, whereas standard incandescent lamps have a service life of 750 or 1,000 hours.

But also figure into that the energy savings. Not only just for the bulbs themselves, but as I mentioned above, the lower A/C energy consumption which can be a major factor in the south.

Thumper
04-30-2014, 09:05 AM
Is this a Ford/Chevy/Toyota thread? :swordfight

Niner
05-01-2014, 07:43 AM
I am not a big fan of the CFL bulbs. Especially the outside "flood light" variety. My Mom had some of those at her house, and in the winter it literally took 5 mins for them to come up to speed. I have a lamp that we leave on at the cabin 24x7 with a CFL in it. It seems that we have to replace that bulb about every 6 months or so.

NOW....LED's are a whole 'nuther story. I found some LED Edison-Base bulbs at the Home Depot (CREE brand. I think). I have been swapping the bulbs in my house with them and I am really liking them. They are a little pricey.....about $10 each if I remember correctly.

I still am buying the incandescent bulbs as well...BUT I will NEVER buy another Philips incandescent bulb. I have literally had some of them that lasted a matter of DAYS before they blew out. Now, the GE bulbs....they seem to last a good while.`

Thumper
05-01-2014, 08:15 AM
Thanks a LOT for nuttin' Niner. I have two flood lights on the back of the house that shine on the pool/patio area. I noticed one was burned out a week or so ago. Last weekend, I found three CFL type flood light bulbs at an estate sale for 50 cents apiece. I've never used one of their floodlights before, so I may be in for a surprise. I guess the delay would normally make no difference to me, EXCEPT for when we hear a noise in the backyard and flip on the floodlights to see what's going on. 'Course it seldom gets cold here, so the delay may not be as noticeable. I can see where that could be a deal-breaker though. Many nights, Lynn leaves those lights on because they light up a good portion of the back yard and she feels safer. I suppose the energy savings of the CFL's would outweigh the negatives. CFL's aren't perfect ... but I've learned to live with 'em.