PDA

View Full Version : Fluorocarbon???

Big Skyz
05-01-2014, 09:18 AM
Hey guys I know we have a fishing forum, but if I post my question there it may never get answered. I've only used light weight fluorocarbon (4 lbs line) and I've had mixed results. The Seagaur line was pretty good once I got the knot thing figured out. I also bought some PLine and it sucked as far as I"m concerned, broke way too easy. I decided "P" stands for Pisspoor. Anyway yesterday I broke off some really big fish using Stren Magnathin 6 lbs. I changed over to regular Stren mono 6 lbs and didn't break anymore off. I'm thinking of switching to 8 or 10 lbs fluorocarbon. One because it has a smaller diameter than mono, two it sinks, and three is supposed to be pretty strong in comparison to monofilament. So you guys that use it, is it all it's billed to be?

Captain
05-01-2014, 09:26 AM
Wish I could help you Sky. But since I bought my first spool of Fireline I've never bought anything else....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

BarryBobPosthole
05-01-2014, 09:53 AM
Troy, I use Sufix Seige 6# flouro and have been very happy with it. Its spendy but it lasts a long time and doesn't have the memory that mono has so it can stay on your reel a lot longer before you have to replace it. I've started using it as my shock leader too when I use braid and was concerned about using it because it doesn't stretch much and that's essentially what you want a shock leader to do. No problems, I caught lots of 8-9 pound fish on 6 pound flouro leaders and not broke off once.
A really good mono that is strong as the dickens is Big Game Trilene. 10# is the smallest they make but its dang good line. Seige is better though.

BKB

Thumper
05-01-2014, 09:56 AM
Heck, I just use 50# test and never worry about it! :D

Big Skyz
05-01-2014, 09:57 AM
BBP what kind of knot are you tying with that Suffix Seige?

BarryBobPosthole
05-01-2014, 09:57 AM
I guess those bugle mouth bass you fish for with wheaties and strawberry soda pop dough balls don't mind that 50 # test do they?

BKB

Thumper
05-01-2014, 10:05 AM
How'd you know my secret bait??? Dang it! :(

B/S .. I just use a basic granny knot. Works well for me. ;)

Captain
05-01-2014, 10:11 AM
Big Sky's new tattoo. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Big Skyz
05-01-2014, 10:16 AM
Leave to Kribbs and BBP to turn a thread about fluorocarbon into a discussion about Kribb's dating techniques.

BarryBobPosthole
05-01-2014, 11:46 AM
BS, I use what I call an 'improved blood knot' to join the shock leader to the line. A blood knot is very simply a clinch knot on each section of the line you're tying together. I run the tag end of the line back through the top loop of the knot the same way you would with an 'improved clinch knot'. Here's a link. the standard blood knot doesn't grip strong enough for me with flouro. With the 'improved' version it grips a lot better. http://www.animatedknots.com/bloodknot/index.php?LogoImage=L

If I were you, I'd try a shock leader that gives you a little stretch if you're breaking off often in that current. It might improve your odds a bit. Either that or stop horsing them so dang much!

BKB

Big Skyz
05-01-2014, 12:03 PM
BBP for tying lures directly on the line, what knot do you use if using fluoro? A palomar?

Niner
06-24-2014, 06:55 AM
Better late than never, as they say......

I too tried the P-line, and was also underwhelmed with it. I had trouble with it developing memory on spinning reels.

I have spooled my "bass rods" with Power Pro braided line (from Wally World)...http://www.walmart.com/ip/Power-Pro-Fishing-Line-Moss-Green-150-yards-10-lbs/10340028. So far I like it ok. The 10# test says claims to be the size of "normal line" 2# test. In clear water, I prolly need to be using a leader with it though, I think the fish can see the green line tied directly to the lure. At least that is my excuse. LOL.

STILL, my favorite line for lite/ultra light use is Silver Thread AN40. It is a "copolymer" line...whatever that means. I THINK it is a blend of mono and floruo, but I could be sadly mistaken. The only problem is FINDING the darned stuff. The only place I've been able to find it is online. BPS carries it, but they don't have a store near me. Their 6# line is 0.0086" diameter, but it is VERY strong.