PDA

View Full Version : Hey P-hole!

Thumper
05-04-2014, 07:21 PM
Been home for a bit and I've been digging through my estate sale treasures from this weekend. I forgot all about picking up a batch of Griswold Cast Iron.

I found 1 Griswold #8 (large logo) 704-D in great shape ... though it needs to be seasoned.

The others I wasn't totally crazy about, but the fact it was a "set" and cheap as dirt, I couldn't pass them up.

A Griswold #3 (large logo) 709 Duochrome.
A Griswold #6 (large logo) 699A Duochrome.
A Griswold #8 (large logo) 704S Duochrome.
And a Griswold #9 (large logo) 710 Duochrome.

I picked up the whole ball-o-wax (5 pans) for $23.00! I was about to gamble on them being there at half price the next day, but chickened out. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
05-04-2014, 08:24 PM
Wow, that duochrome stuff looks awesome. I've never seen that before.

You selling it?

BKB

Chicken Dinner
05-04-2014, 09:00 PM
Each one of those pans is probably worth at least twice what you paid for the set.

Thumper
05-04-2014, 09:52 PM
Wow, that duochrome stuff looks awesome. I've never seen that before. You selling it?

Oh yeah ... I figure I'll auction the #8/704 separately as they're bringing some pretty serious cash. I figured I'd offer the Duochrome as a 4-piece set 'cause I'd hate to break it up ... plus I "think" I can fit the whole set in a Medium Flat Rate Priority Mail box. I haven't tried to see if they'll fit yet, but I believe they will.

Yeah CD ... those #8's are bringing some crazy money at times ... like anywhere from $60 - $120! As usual, prices are all over the map, but if I'm patient, I should do pretty well with it. I want to clean it up a bit and season it to make it look all spiffy. ;)

Chicken Dinner
05-05-2014, 06:11 AM
There's actually a CI Facebook page with over 50k members with tons of info on cleaning, etc. if you need help. Be careful when packing that stuff. It's surprisingly brittle and I see a lot of posts about stuff arriving broken when purchased off the net.

Thumper
05-05-2014, 08:30 AM
Dang! I never even thought about the USPS BREAKING a cast iron skillet! Well, it;ll be wrapped in bubble wrap anyway. Seems they'd have to run over it with their Jeep to break it .. but I'm sure that's not out of the question. ;)

As much shipping as I've done, I've never had a problem with the USPS ... nothing broken and nothing lost. (knock on wood) 'Course if they knew that I was a friend of Bucky's ... I'm sure that would change. :D

HideHunter
05-08-2014, 08:51 PM
I have a Griswold "0" Dutch oven.. Cooked a whole quail breast in it once. ;)