PDA

View Full Version : Common Core and Public Education

BarryBobPosthole
05-06-2014, 09:58 AM
Was wondering what is going in in your states with Common Core testing in public schools. In Oklahoma its made for some VERY strange bedfellows at least politically. Common Core standards and the plan were developed by the National Governors Association while Oklahoma's very Republican governor was the chairman, adopted enthusiastically by our very republican and conservative legislature, and now is pretty much universally hated as a 'Obama plan' foisted on the state by the federal government. Not quite sure how that happened but the Tea Party here seems convinced that any standards that aren't home grown are BAD. There really isn't a role for the federal government in common core testing at least as its done in Oklahoma. The state contracts with a private company, that of course always does things better than the government could ever do, and that private company creates and administers the testing. If students can't pass the test they don't advance to the next grade until they can, regardless of what the teacher, parents, and school administration thinks or knows about that student. The test is the decider, to use a term coined by the NCLB champion. The state signed a $34 million dollar contract with McGraw Hill and this year the testing had to be suspended due to problems that MH had with their automated system. Interesting nobody called for a repeal because the website didn't work.

There's a lot of flaws in Common Core but some sort of testing needs to be administered to find out how effective our schools are at education. We know how well they do at baseball and football, they get tested every season. But education in my state is upside down, not because of a lack of standards but because of a lack of funding and a coherent plan. We act as if we live in a state where every child needs to go to college, which is the first big lie in public education. We need as much emphasis on vocational education in Oklahoma as we do on academic education. Not every kid is college material and not every kid WANTS to go to college. We need vocational programs that TEACH. and we need different methods of measuring the education received from those programs. Skilled workers are every bit as important to our future as science and technology people. We need a bottom up revision to our education system and we need to prioritize and fund the right things. Simply creating high standards is about one tenth of the overall list of things we need to do to 'fix' our education system here in Oklahoma. there is $7 billion in out state budget for education this year, another flat budget year and its been seven years since our teachers got a raise. what do we do? We criticize teachers and set up a testing system that makes it the teacher's fault when their students don't pass it at the rate we think they should. And when our teachers went to the capitol this year to make their voices heard, not about raises for themselves, but about appropriately funding our public schools, most of the legislature didn't go the office that day and the ones that did were openly critical of the teachers for taking a day off (they didn't) from teaching.

We're in a real quandary here. Its a mess and our kids are the ones who are suffering for it. the best and brightest of our state leave for Texas or other parts of the country just as soon as they are able. The best teachers can go to any of our neighboring states and get better pay and most of them do. And here we sit and worry about what role the feds might have had in the whole mess when they haven't had any, at least since NCLB was enacted. We got bigger things to worry about.

Anyway, that's dismal and dire, but it is what it is here. Hopefully we'll elect a governor with some sense and a legislature that isn't looking for any excuse to bash Washington to get themselves reelected.

BKB

Penguin
05-06-2014, 10:37 AM
Interesting take on things Barry. It will be interesting to see how this whole thing plays out.

I know that a lot of the resistance to Common Core has come from the social studies/history side of things. Apparently there is a good bit of politically hot buttons that are being pushed by this new outline. Then again I am not sure how much of that is the Common Core and how much of it is local decisions on how to meet CC.

The math stuff though? I have to tell you that even looking at how some of this stuff is mandated makes my blood boil. It's like some female poli sci major's wet dream. And is absolutely crazy. I know some people don't want to hear the cold hard truth but here it is: You cannot have a deeper level and intuition on higher level math in isolation from basic math skills.

Trying to attain a "deeper understanding" of math when you are simply adding 47 to 18 is insane. All you do is confuse young people with this insanity. You don't even start getting the opportunity to practice a "deeper understanding" of mathematics until you get to trig and calculus. Even then it is elementary level stuff. Deeper understanding comes with having the basics well in hand and looking at math functions that actually describe how the world works.

IOW differential equations. Everything that comes before this is just preparation. Trying to develop an intuitive feel for math at anything below this is like trying to gain an appreciation for music by studying chopsticks or Ring Around the Rosie. Like trying to understand how to run a fast break before you learn how to dribble a basketball. And if they had anyone involved in developing this CC stuff who actually progressed to the point of designing things that operate in the real world based on mathematical principles they would have known this.

There are simply things you gotta know. Without thinking on it. Tangent is the opposite over adjacent. The derivative of exp(x) is equal to exp(x). The integral of 1/x is equal to the ln[x]. And on and on. If you can't do this without thinking then don't even try to become intuitive at math. It won't happen. Skills development comes first. Common Core is dead wrong in this respect.

Will

BarryBobPosthole
05-06-2014, 01:07 PM
Math is one of those things that I don't get. My brother in law is a math teacher, Masters in the subject, and loves the beaut of math (his words not mine). Its not that I don't see beauty its that I don't see anything. I know arithmetic though, people like him know math. There seems to be a difference but its one I'm tone deaf to.

BKB

Captain
05-06-2014, 01:30 PM
I quit worrin' bout edukasion chit when ma kids gradchaded skool... :D

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Penguin
05-06-2014, 01:43 PM
I wouldn't worry about it Barry. I'm not sure I see math as beautiful either.

I went to school with a couple of guys who didn't have to take notes because they just read an equation like a sentence or a derivation like you and I would a paragraph. They had the basics down so pat that they just never got hung up on notation. For the rest of us unwashed masses muddling through was the answer.

But as far as every day life goes I am not sure that all that mathematical horsepower is needed. What is needed, it seems to me, is to be able to figure basic math operations and do them quickly. Fucking around trying to make number lines, or adding up the number of base 10 operators then adding all the leftovers up and then adding them all together, seems like a damned good way to keep someone from imprinting things like "5 + 8 = 13" onto the brain. There are things you just have to know.

And since this is exactly what you need to pursue higher math subjects why not just do it.

Making a smart kid try to explain in a paragraph why 17 + 39 = 56 is torture. Only a sadistic mind would conceive of such a thing.

Will

LJ3
05-06-2014, 01:46 PM
Thanks Willie, I now understand what the common core math pisses me off like it does. I just wasn't smart enough to know it! Math has been a struggle for me since long division and it's never gotten easier. Which is kinda funny given my professions of making sure all the 1's & 0's get transmitted in the most effective way possible :)

BarryBobPosthole
05-06-2014, 01:54 PM
Same here Len. Electronic math never gave me a problem in school either. I whizzed through the FCC 2nd license course and test and it was nearly all engineering level math when I took it. But show me a polynomial equation and it makes me sick to my stomach.

I can do 'story problems'. They're my daily bread. The rest of it has no common everyday usage for me so it doesn't appeal I guess.

BKB

Thumper
05-06-2014, 02:02 PM
I was a straight "A" student in my math and sciences classes in h/s ... went up through basic algebra, geometry, algebra II, trig and calculus ... not to mention all the sciences from basic science to biology, chemistry and physics ... THEN went to college as an engineering major with a dang super-nerd Post bamboo slide rule hanging from my belt. I've been using a calculator for so long I'm not sure I remember how to add and subtract! I guess spelling is similar ... I used to make it through the city spelling bees .. but now if it weren't for spell check, I doubt I could write a whole paragraph without a misspelled word somewhere along the line. The term, "If ya' don't use it ... ya' lose it" pretty much applies to me I'm afraid. :(

BarryBobPosthole
05-06-2014, 02:07 PM
I used to carry one of those old Post slide rules around when I was taking chem I and II in high school and then college. Still have it but somehow the cursor went missing. And yep, it was nerdy!

Let's see, move the slide to the left, add a decimal place which way?
BKB

Thumper
05-06-2014, 02:50 PM
Ha ha! I still have my old slide rules ... bof'em in fact! You ain't gonna believe this, but I just took pics of them last week preparing to list them on eBay ... but haven't gotten around to it yet. (people actually collect them!) I originally purchased a Sterling No. 585 (I still have the plastic case & instructions even). BUT, once I got to engineering school, I found out you were a real dork if you had a plastic slide rule and a "TRUE" engineer uses bamboo slide rules. So ... not wanting to be a nerd AND a dork both, I purchased my 50's era Post 1460C ... and still have the original box and instructions.

(no clue whatever happened to my super-cool leather belt case) :D

2990 2991

Penguin
05-06-2014, 03:28 PM
Sweet. Those are some real gems Jim.