PDA

View Full Version : Doin' it the right way

BarryBobPosthole
05-07-2014, 10:52 AM
Eddie asked a long time ago once, while we were talking about Tim Tebow, why sports fans were so jaded about athletes who were so open about their christian values. Honestly, I can't tell you what the difference is between Kevin Durant and Tim Tebow, at least from that perspective. Obviously, KD is an MVP of his profession and that probably has something to do with it. but I ain't got any answers to that question. all I know is, Kevin Durant is doing it the right way. And I'm not even an NBA fan and I find myself pulling for this guy. Its pretty tough to tell if he's adopted Oklahoma or if if Oklahoma has adopted him. But he's something we need here in my state. And he's dang good at what he does too, that doesn't hurt. And its true that athletes don't have to be role models and sometimes we expect too much of them. when tey exceed expectations in that aspect though, it's pretty dang cool.

BKB

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/thunder/2014/05/06/kevin-durant-mvp-award-acceptance-speech-oklahoma-city-future/8779279/

Hombre
05-07-2014, 11:25 AM
Both are exceptional role models. I think you hit on the difference though. Tim was an exceptional college player who's game didn't translate well at the next level. People felt that he got too much credit because of the person he was and not because of his talent. Kevin gets credit for both, and plays at the level he is at. If I had a choice I would want them both on my team. What gets overlooked is not how these guys conduct themselves but the intangible leadership they can bring and mentorship to younger players. Both can turn a young guy who might waste a career into a future game changer.

BarryBobPosthole
05-07-2014, 11:51 AM
One thing KD emphasized though is the role his mother played in his life. We need to stop idolizing athletes as role models and start promoting parents as active role models in kid's lives. We look too often to public people as leadership examples when it should be right under our own roofs. One reason is parents, at least in a kid's mind, can't possibly live up to the level of a public person. When in actuality what a parent does their entire lives is much more than what any sports person does in their fifteen minutes of fame.
End of sermon.
BKB

LJ3
05-07-2014, 12:49 PM
Did you discuss this with your financial adviser?

BarryBobPosthole
05-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Hahahaha...why no I didn't. that would have taken another hour.

BKB

Hombre
05-07-2014, 01:43 PM
You're right Barry parent are far more important but we hold athletes to a standard because kids do idolize them. IMO there is nothing wrong with expecting athletes to conduct themselves respectfully, and even less with appreciating those that do.

BarryBobPosthole
05-07-2014, 01:52 PM
I don't necessarily disagree, but when they do act out, its the parent's job to explain to kids why that particular person isn't someone they should emulate. We spend entirely too much time trying to act horrified when a 20 something millionaire does something stupid. Take Tiger Woods for example. His foundation for young people has positively affected literally millions of kids. And his personal values has probably done just the opposite. Its up to parents to explain that to kids. That's all I'm saying.

BKB

Hombre
05-07-2014, 05:22 PM
BBP - I'll tell you something I tell my wife. Your life will be a lot smoother and you'll almost always be right if you just agree with me in the beginning.........See with that knowledge we could of stopped this on the third post :D

BarryBobPosthole
05-07-2014, 05:47 PM
I'll try to remember that Boh! Except for cooking matters anyway.

BKB