PDA

View Full Version : Niner.....New Boat Report?

BarryBobPosthole
05-15-2014, 11:43 AM
Haven't seen you post anything about your new boat. How you liking her? And what'd you name it?

BKB

LJ3
05-15-2014, 12:57 PM
Cough it up, Billy Boy!

Niner
05-15-2014, 07:26 PM
Well, since y'all asked.....
We are really liking it a lot!
Like I'd said before, it's not a "hair on fire" blast all around mega bass buggy. It's a nice little fishin' boat...that is super steady, yet only draws about 3-5" of water.

We've had it out onto local reservoirs several times now and caught a few fish out of it. Each time we go we get our routine down a little better, and I think of something new I want to do to modify it to just what I want. These Carolina Skiffs are put together a little like legos in that they can be modded pretty easily. I am planning to remove the forward of the two bench seats and replace it with a single "island seat" (pedestal) . IF I can figure out how to do it, I'd like to convert the 20HP (electric start) tiller Yamerhammer motor to remote controls, and rig it for stick steering from the front seat. If not, then I'll just drive it from the tiller.... and then move to the island (pedestal) seat to run the troller and fish.

Last week we took a few days off for our 30th anniversary, and rented a small house on the lake with a KILLER dock. What time we were not eating or sleeping we were in the boat fishing!!!

I installed a Minn Kota Power Drive V2 bow mount foot-controlled trolling motor.....which is a real nice addition. Looking at getting a different "fish finder". The one that is on there now is pitiful. It DOES tell temperature and depth, so I am glad for that.

Having a little bit of trouble getting it up on plane. A lot of the Carolina Skiffs come with Nauticus Power Tabs, but this one did not. I'm gonna order some and put them on...that should fix that problem....http://www.nauticusinc.com/smart_tabsSX_automatic_trim_tabs.htm

I can't wait to take it down to the river and try river fishing out of it. I think it will REALLY shine there.

Keep in mind this boat is 13' long and has a 65" beam. Just about perfect for Di and I. Small enough to be easy to handle (on and off water), and light enough to operate very economically.

One other project I need to figure out is a live well. They make a fiberglass "deck" that you install in front of the transom that has two wells built into it......but I have no idea how much that piece of fiberglass costs. Might just make do with building one out of an old cooler or something.