PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you Gomers need?

Captain
05-15-2014, 07:29 PM
A good friend and fishing buddy of mine died a year or so ago. His wife recently called and told me to come get a portable fish/depth finder he had. She could not locate the owners manual.
Anyway it cuts on and works. Its pretty neat in that it runs off two 6 volt batteries and can be taken from boat to boat (or canoe) the transducer has about a 25 (?) foot cable. It folds down and has a carry handle.
I have no clue what it would be worth or what it would cost to ship. I assume I cannot ship it with the batteries in it and likewise assume it will fit in one of Thumpers "if it fits it ships for one flat rate" boxes.
If no one here wants it I'm gonna throw it on Craig's List.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

jb
05-15-2014, 07:56 PM
They use those up here for ice fishing. Great little outfit.

BarryBobPosthole
05-15-2014, 07:59 PM
Does it use like a motorcycle battery or lantern batteries?

BKB

Captain
05-15-2014, 08:29 PM
Two of those lantern batteries.

Egghead
05-16-2014, 06:53 AM
Calling Len... For the canoe?

Captain
05-16-2014, 07:19 AM
I remember my buddy had an additional cable that had alligator clips where you could connect it directly to you trolling motor battery. God only knows where that is.
I'm certain you could cut the cable and put a quick connect to the current wire and then Make a boat battery cable to join the quick connect and use it either with the lantern batteries or the boat battery.

Thumper
05-16-2014, 07:33 AM
Guess it depends on whether those lantern batteries are hooked up in parallel or series. If he did it before ... I have to assume he's running a 12v trolling battery and the latern bats are wired in series.

Captain
05-16-2014, 07:43 AM
Could you tell if I take a picture of the lantern battery hook up?

BarryBobPosthole
05-16-2014, 08:09 AM
If you have a voltmeter just read across the two pins on that red connector on the back. I'm betting a thousand dollars its gonna be 12V. If so, I'd use a lawn mower or motor cycle battery. Tha's what's Keith's little Lowrance portable sonar uses.

BKB

Thumper
05-16-2014, 08:21 AM
I'm with Posty ... more than likely 12v .. but it would be good to know beforehand. I seriously doubt your buddy was using a 6v trolling motor. (do they even make 'em?)

Niner
05-16-2014, 09:28 AM
Since a "regular" fish finder runs off of 12v, and this is just a modified unit (by the mfr)...I just KNOW that it runs off of 12v. It's just a matter of making sure the wires are connected right.

DARN good idea there! I have a kindof similar unit I'd planned on using in my Gheenoe....but never got around to it.

LJ3
05-16-2014, 01:43 PM
Calling Len... For the canoe?

I thought about that EH. But then I realized I already have a depth finder. When I'm catching fish on the river, the depth and fish finder are all working. If I hit a rock, it's shallow and I should get out and wade :)